Search results

1. daveheinzel

Canon: Continued support of Yellowstone Forever

I’m still having ads on your site that take over the whole phone screen and redirect to another site. It’s been happening for weeks, and it’s to the point I don’t even want to come back here. I know you’re aware this is happening, but when is enough enough?
  2. daveheinzel

6D or 5D Mark III. For video. Which one?

I currently use a 6D as my main video camera. I've used a rented 5DIII and have a little experience with that. I'm not sure how you're covered for audio, but I use a Tascam DR-100 for audio. I keep it separate from the camera and sync in post (FCPX). I'm very happy with the 6D. Every now and...
  3. daveheinzel

Advice sought on Cropped Frame Wide Lens

I can only speak for the 10-22, which I have and use with my 7D and 60D. In the year or so since I've purchased it, it is the go-to lens for almost any occasion. I absolutely love it, and I very rarely go to my 17-40. It does take a bit to get used to the 10mm end, but it's worth the effort.
  4. daveheinzel

If You Could Have One 1 Lens...

One camera and one lens forever: Canon EOS 3 (film) and Zeiss 50mm 1.4. Ilford HP5. No hesitation.
  5. daveheinzel

Canon U.S.A. Introduces Two New Cinema Prime Lenses, Expanding The Cinema EOS Prime Lens Product Lin

Re: Canon U.S.A. Introduces Two New Cinema Prime Lenses, Expanding The Cinema EOS Prime Lens Product It largely comes down to volume. Canon is not going to sell many of these lenses, even if they were priced much less. The market is small, so they have to spread development and production...
  6. daveheinzel

Canon Announces The PowerShot N

I'm curious what selling points will be used to differentiate this from the cameras that exist on smartphones. They went to great lengths to make this friendly to "smart-phone photographers," but what's really going to want to make them shell out a few hundred dollars for this? I'd argue that...
  7. daveheinzel

whats up with my focus?

That image is comparable to my best images with the 7D when I shoot at such a high ISO. That's why I usually stick with 1250 or less. Focus looks fine though. Try at a low ISO and see if that makes a difference. Corners on lenses that wide are usually a bit distorted.
  8. daveheinzel

Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.4 on Crop Body

I have this lens and use it with the 7D and 60D. It's a beautiful lens. I'm actually selling mine to get a mountain bike, as my hobbies are shifting. But I have really enjoyed it. I use it for both video and photo. For video, the large rotational distance between focus points makes follow focus...
  9. daveheinzel

Utah

You've got to go. It's wonderful. If you don't mind a crowd, Arches is great. The hike to Delicate Arch is not very long (30-40 minutes) and is very rewarding. Sunset there is magical, even when you share it with dozens of people. Canyonlands is more remote and offers long hikes. And there are...
  10. daveheinzel

Utah

It was a beautiful area - definitely worth going. Moab is very close to Arches NP and has several options for hotels. But I reserved a campsite in the park. You have to do this in advance during busy times. Daytime temps were warm but not hot, and night was cold but not freezing. It was a good...
  11. daveheinzel

Utah

Thanks guys. Equipment is Canon 7D with either 10-22 or 17-40. I also used a polarizer (perhaps too much in some cases). Flash was a 580 EXII. I had gels but accidentally left them in the car. Instead of doing a one-hour round trip hike, I used a yellow poncho I had with me to color the flash. I...
  12. daveheinzel

Utah

Hi all. I recently returned from a trip to Utah and wanted to share some photos. I have them all on my website organized into galleries here: http://www.daveheinzel.com/?id=4_78 Some of my favorites are attached. Composition of 12 35mm black & white stills. Hiking in Colorado on the way to...
  13. daveheinzel

Why would you get this lens?

How come the 10-400 1.4L IS pancake isn't on the list? I'll take two.
  14. daveheinzel

Best lens for landscapes for a trip to the mountains?

I'd vote for the 10-22. I have that one and the 17-40, and on my 7D and 60D, the 17-40 is just kind of "ok" in the wide department. I usually find myself shooting the 17-40 at 17 almost all the time, but with the 10-22, most of the time I'm in the 12-15mm range. I have a normal polarizer filter...
  15. daveheinzel

Hasselblad at Photokina and lensrentals sense of humour :-)

I'm kind of disappointed that it doesn't have 72 cross-type AF points.
  16. daveheinzel

Canon Announces the Canon EOS 6D DSLR

I might be the only one who actually wants this camera. I currently have a 7D and 60D, shoot a mix of subjects (portraits, sports, landscape) for both paid work and for fun, and I take a lot of video with both cameras. I use the 7D for football with my telephoto zoom and have my 10-22 on the...
  17. daveheinzel

First Canon EOS C100 Short Hits the Web

Completely agree. I came to the forum to gripe about shallow DOF and the people screaming "woo-hoo." You did it for me. Thanks! I think we've all seen enough meandering camera demos like this by now. It's all tool and no story. It's like showing off some new cookware by throwing everything in...
  18. daveheinzel

The Three Best Lenses for Filmmaking?

My favorite three that I own and use are: 1) Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS ii. The IS on this lens is fantastic for handheld video, and the image quality is so consistently amazing. Love this lens for almost any type of work. 2) Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZE. It's the cheapest Zeiss you'll find, and it's great...
  19. daveheinzel

Macbook pro retina advice

You'll love yours. And good tips on going SSD on MacBook Pros. I did the same on my old 17, and it made such a big difference.