Search results

1. D

Canon EOS 5Ds & EOS 5Ds R Image & Video Samples

Re: Canon EOS 5Ds & EOS 5Ds R Image & Video Samples One of the biggest disappointments I have with this announcement is Canon was LAZY and didn't move up to using CFast. You'd think with files that big they'd want to go CFast, which has been a standard for a long time now. Or at least dual CF...
  2. D

Euro Pricing for EOS 5DS, 5DS R & EF 11-24 f/4L Revealed

Re: Euro Pricing for EOS 5DS, 5DS R & EF 11-24 f/4L Revealed Seems kinda wonky that WITHOUT the low-pass filter it's more expensive. Don't they just put a regular piece of neutral optical glass in it's place to keep the sensor stack the same height? Or do they have to do something else that...
  3. D

Canon Confirms Development of High Megapixel Camera

I like the bit about new bodies/lenses coming out as technology progresses, rather than annual releases. Makes a lot more sense, especially since big technological changes are coming either slower, or in bunches. Although, I imagine they'll still have an annual consumer line of stuff, since that...
  4. D

Deal: X-Rite i1Display Pro $149 at B&H Photo

Re: Deal: X-Rite i1Display Pro $149 at B&H Photo Deal worked for me, I had to use the second link in the comments, or something like that. Good deal, I've needed to get one for a while.
  5. D

Wifi on 5D MK IV?

Probably not so good. For me, the only good it'd be is for me to get a photo or two off of it onto my phone to post somewhere while I'm out and about. Plus, it's a big battery drain when active. In addition, they'd need some kind of external antenna like they did for the 7d2 GPS receiver antenna...
  6. D

Multilayer Sensors are Coming From Canon [CR2]

Yea, with a CR2 I'm a lot more hopeful that it'll actually happen. Still not there yet, but IMHO a lot better than a CR1, which means he's got some reason to trust the source.
  7. D

About the Fisheye lens

So, Home Star Runner is back, and he's got some info about the proper use for the Fisheye lens. Don't know where else to post this really, but hope you all enjoy this.
  8. D

LensRentals.com Introduces Keeper

Well, you really want to use a UDMA7 CF card for the 5d3 to really get the most out of it, not an SD card (which you can't run at UHS-I speeds due to hardware). The 3rd party battery is nice. The gadget back, cool, that's nice, but cheap. And do you really need the monopod? Generally a tripod is...
  9. D

7D Mark II Video Tested By Gizmodo

My big question is, what were the recording settings? Was this the clean HDMI out to a quality recorder and then transcoded with a professional package? I assume (given I'm not a pro) that output at 4:2:2 via uncompressed HDMI will probably make a pretty big difference. Otherwise, probably not...
  10. D

Chuck Westfall Talks Canon EOS 7D Mark II

Something I keyed in on, they Dual-Pixel is 2nd gen, while 70D is 1st gen. So it sounds like they have done some additional sensor work for sure. Although it might be other hardware and/or software for 2nd gen.
  11. D

Adobe to Show Next Creative Cloud on June 18

Well...in legal terms you own a perpetual license to use the software. Not the software itself. But I agree with the sentiment expressed.
  12. D

Adobe to Show Next Creative Cloud on June 18

Yea, Vista had a ton of underlying framework changes which were part of the reason why it was pretty Meh. But, it did set the groundwork for Win7, which is what they should have released, except they were on a deadline. Although I bet Win7 launch would have been pretty rough if Vista hadn't had...
  13. D

Ended: Spyder4Elite for $169 from B&H Photo

Re: Deal: Spyder4Elite for $169 from Amazon When I click through on the link, I get the full price :( Anybody still seeing the good price?
  14. D

DxO OpticsPro 9.5, integration with Lightroom

Thanks. Yea, I should just bite the bullet and try out the demo. I don't really have deadlines, so generally I can wait some extra time. I do have a 2nd gen Core i7 quad on my laptop, so I do have some CPU horsepower available. Have you tried it on any film scans? I know that might not be it's...
  15. D

Ended: Lexar Professional Memory Cards

Re: Deals: Lexar Professional Memory Cards This is just way too good a deal to pass up. 64GB 1066x CF for under $100?! Yes please!
  16. D

DxO OpticsPro 9.5, integration with Lightroom

So, looks like OpticsPro 9.5 integrates pretty nicely with Lightroom. Does it's features (optics corrections, noise reduction tools, etc) make it well worth the price and generally superior to Lightroom? http://www.mikepasini.com/corners/2014/05/21-dxo-opticspro-95/index.htm Unfortunately it...
  17. D

Flourine lens coat vs no coat

Better, worse, whatever. In practical terms, I imagine there's little to no difference. Probably only something someone like Roger @LensRentals would be able to measure, and even he would say it has little or no visible difference in the real world.
  18. D

Flourine lens coat vs no coat

Nikon has a nifty video out showing the how awesome their flourine lens coat is. I'm going to guess that Canon, etc lens coat does something pretty much the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsRx_OKTzo
  19. D

Looking or an Fullframe SLR - Your Experience needed

What unfocused said. Plus, while I have a gripped 5d3 and love the grip, why are you needing a grip? Or is it because you want the dual batteries so you don't have to change in the middle of a field somewhere? As for the 6D, it's a great camera from everything I've heard. The center AF point...
  20. D

More Sensor Technology Talk [CR1]

And we have lots more processing power, even in camera, available to the average user, to say nothing of the systems that are available for design simulations. Not saying it's automatically a solution, just pointing out that we have a LOT more CPU horsepower, to say nothing of a properly...