Search results

1. jrista

Canon EOS R5 - Cable Protector - Mismatched to ports? Threads don't reach?

Well, its an odd, odd world.... So, today, out of the blue...I received an email. Telling me that Abes of Maine had shipped something to me. It didn't say what, but back when I'd first received the camera and discovered the cable protector didn't fit/work, I emailed the sales guy who helped me...
  2. jrista

Well, received some kind of support email from Canon. They seem to be asking me to send back the whole camera, but I think they are only expecting the cable protector. I am certainly not going to send the whole camera back, as outside of the incorrect cable protector part, its working great...
  3. jrista

Thanks Alan. I still float above the sky, too. I dropped around $20,000 on a whole new astrophotography setup between summer 2018 and the end of 2019, then ended up not really using it much during 2020 (the plan was to take it out under darker skies a lot, but pandemic stuff kind of put a bit of...
  4. jrista

Yeah, I am aware the two parts separate. The clip that holds the cable actually looks the same. It is the part that attaches to the camera, with the thumb screw, that is different in my case, and it simply doesn't seem to be compatible with the R5 body. Got disconnected from my call with...
  5. jrista

Thanks! The part I have is definitely different. Called Canon about getting the right part, and the guy on the other end of the line seems to expect I'm going to buy a whole new accessory kit to get the right part... O_o
  6. jrista

I think I was given the wrong part. My cable protector has a bit different design, and it definitely isn't able to be attached to the camera. Thanks for the photos!
  7. jrista

I just purchased a Canon EOS R5, as after some years hiatus, I'm getting back into terrestrial photography. The R5 has been getting rave reviews, and seems to deliver exceptional image quality (which is great, as I still have a huge collection of Canon lenses). I haven't really had a chance to...
  8. jrista

Deep Sky Astrophotography

Yes, Ha is hydrogen-alpha. I mentioned the full name in my post when I described how it was mapped to green in the SHO blend. SII stands for Sulfur-II, and OIII stands for Oxygen-III, doubly ionized narrow band emissions from gaseous nebula.
  9. jrista

Thanks, Graham! For the acronyms, HOO stands for Hydrogen/Oxygen/Oxygen, or Ha/OIII/OIII. It is a particular kind of narrow band blend that gives a "natural" look from a color standpoint (hydrogen gas to reddish or pinkish, oxygen gas to a blue or cyan.) SHO stands for Sulfer/Hydrogen/Oxygen...
  10. jrista

While I don't use Canon cameras anymore, as I switched to dedicated, cooled, mono astro cameras a while ago, here is something to get this thread going again: HOO-styled blend SHO-styled blend "The Great Wall", part of "North America" nebula in Cygnus. A total of 24 hours of integration...
  11. jrista

Switched to Sony...

These days, you want a German equatorial tracking mount, or GEM. You can pick a lower end one up for around $1500...I started with an Orion Atlas myself, but I used my Canon 600mm f/4 L II lens which is relatively large. An Orion Sirius is cheaper, just under a grand, and could handle smaller...
  12. jrista

Switched to Sony...

Regarding usage, there is actually a lot of flexibility with it. I use moderately long exposures of 10 minutes with narrow band imaging (narrow band filters cut out all but about (actually less than) 1% of the visible spectrum, which GREATLY reduces the photon flux levels to far below even...
  13. jrista

Switched to Sony...

The IMX183 is actually a different sensor than the one used in the RX100. The RX100 uses an Exmor RS sensor, which is actually arguably BETTER than the IMX183 sensor I am using right now. The IMX183 is a machine vision sensor, and it has some amp glow, a kind you would never see in a mirrorless...
  14. jrista

Switched to Sony...

Thanks, Don! AP has really consumed my imaging, just about entirely. I am actually trying to get back into some terrestrial photography, as I haven't actually done much of any the last couple of years (some floral and fungal stuff mostly). While I am not a huge fan of Canon sensors, I'm a big...
  15. jrista

EF 11-24mm L f/4 vs. 16-35mm f/4 L IS vs. 16-35mm f/2.8 L III

Thanks for the info. Some health issues and costs have sidelined my plans...or at least delayed them. I'll definitely rend the TS-E 24mm II though and see how it is. I definitely understand the value of a tilt/shift lens, especially for landscapes....so it might be the right lens.
  16. jrista

Switched to Sony...

Good to see the old vitriol and hate is alive and well here on CR. *sigh* I have been doing astrophotography for years now, and it dominates what I do. I work with quite a few different kinds of cameras, and have processed data from dozens of different kinds of cameras, including DSLRs as well...
  17. jrista

Sorry, already been there. Wasn't clear enough...I'm looking for real-world examples. I know not too many people have both, but I am finding search engines less than helpful in this particular comparison. Probably because the terms are so similar, and search engines don't seem to properly handle...
  18. jrista

Does anyone have any images or know of any images comparing the IQ of the 16-35mm f/2.8 L III and 16-35mm f/4 L IS? I've narrowed it down to these two. The latter currently has the edge, pretty significant price difference, but I want the sharpest results I can get. Most of the time, this will...
  19. jrista

Time for a playful topic! What's in your two lens bag?

I guess I have two "bags". Nature bag: 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro & 16-35mm f/2.8 L II (probably soon to be 16-35mm f/4 L IS) Bird & Wildlife bag: 300mm f/2.8 L II (if rented), 600mm f/4 L II (owned)
  20. jrista

Switched to Sony...

Just keep talkin. You are making my case for me. ;)