Search results

1. Matthew Saville

Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Hiking/backpacking? EOS RP, (or successor with better sensor) ...and wait for Tamron's incredible f/2.8 (Sony FE) zooms to arrive. Alternately, the EF-M system is AWESOME for ultralight trail running/backpacking! Again, just gotta be willing to fill some of the missing links with third-party...
  2. Matthew Saville

Oh my god, an intelligent conversation. Thank you! Personally, I'm betting on the "lost in translation" hypothesis with a lot of these specs. For example, 8K RAW is likely referring to the capability of 45-MP raw frames to produce 8K still frames for a timelapse video. 20 FPS stills could be...
  3. Matthew Saville

Yeah, but in stills mode, the 1DX3 also does "only" 20 FPS, yet this camera is claiming 20 FPS @ 45MP with electronic shutter. So, it begs the question, did they limit the 1DX3's stills throughput, when it could possibly do 30 FPS or 40 FPS RAW stills, without AF? I suspect that there is a lot...
  4. Matthew Saville

8K timelapse? Party like it's 2015, Canon! (Sony A7Rii, 42 MP "raw timelapse" capable...) I'm suspecting that any 4K video better than 30p MP4 is indeed going to be cropped. 4K 30p, both full-sensor and RAW, would already be unprecedented. It would totally steal the thunder from Nikon's 4K RAW...
  5. Matthew Saville

Yeah, and that's why I'm not buying it. Sounds like wishful thinking. Personally, I loved the touchbar, and I'm even more excited about the 1DX3's touch-sensitive AF point control stick. I loved the EOS R touchbar ever since I saw it at the press release and realized I could use it to directly...
  6. Matthew Saville

With the latest tech in gapless microlenses on each photosite, the light-gathering loss is virtually zero, so I think we can finally put this one to rest. DR is effectively independent from megapixel count, in real-world use. What is a bigger deal is, SNR and how megapixels affect the look of...
  7. Matthew Saville

I didn't miss anything, I saw the CR3. A rumor site declaring something "fact" doesn't make it so, of course. There's simply no way a 5-series camera has 8K raw video. (it would have to be relatively un-cropped to be 8K on a 45 MP sensor, BTW) At most, I'd maybe believe 4K 30p RAW, in a cropped...
  8. Matthew Saville

45 MP is no longer considered "high-res", though, so I'm guessing that any "R5s" camera will be that ~80 (??) MP sensor people were rumoring. 45 MP is the new "normal", especially since Canon continues to perfect their mRAW technology. (Although, I'm still waiting for lossy compression and...
  9. Matthew Saville

Is the person behind SonyAlphaRumors ghost-writing a CR post? This has got to be a contender for the biggest load of "wishful thinking rumor" I've ever read. The more shocking thing is that half the commenters here aren't even questioning it. Did it not raise any eyebrows that the rumor has a...
  10. Matthew Saville

Here are the full Canon EOS RP specifications

I've found that a great alternative to LOG picture profile is to just shoot Neutral Picture Style, turn the contrast down even further, and then set the Auto Lighting Optimizer to a medium-high or high setting. WOW do the 4K files have crazy dynamic range! The editing is a bit wonky, but then...
  11. Matthew Saville

The upcoming RF mount wide angle f/2.8L zoom will be wider than 16mm [CR2]

As awesome as these lenses sound, I think it's pretty safe to assume that they'll wind up being roughly the same size and weight as the 28-70 f/2 RF, (or bigger!) so... OK who am I kidding, if it's ultra-sharp even in the corners, I'd totally buy an f/2 or f/1.4 ultra-wide zoom, no matter how...
  12. Matthew Saville

Breaking down the latest Canon gear to appear for certification

When a camera is that underwhelming compared to both its predecessor and its competition, you have to wonder... Again, it's a great camera if you don't push the envelope very much. Just like all cameras are. But I'm not here to debate the acceptability of mediocre cameras that sell well. I'm...
  13. Matthew Saville

Part of the issue is that many Sony shooters are doing more video shooting than than stills, and they couldn't care less about ergonomics because the camera is spending 90-99% of the time enclosed in a "rig", or on a gimbal. They aren't spending hours a day with the camera to their eye and both...
  14. Matthew Saville

Since the 6D2 has two completely different AF systems, due to the fact that it's got an optical viewfinder and a mirror box, I'm not sure which AF performance you're referring to in any of these instances. However, the bottom line as I said is that the 6D2 should have had the 5D4's off-sensor...
  15. Matthew Saville

Who I am is a generally peaceful person who can't stand to see people fighting over which new camera has a 1/6 EV advantage over the other, who sometimes go so far as to scoff at or scold those who haven't "upgraded" yet, ...meanwhile their portfolios and shooting habits reveal that their own...
  16. Matthew Saville

This. I didn't ask /directly/, but based on conversations I'd say there's a 99.9% chance that we'll have a total of 3 RF bodies in ~12 months, not just 2, and there will be both a cheaper and more high-end option. The higher-end option will NOT be a >$5K flagship. The only question seems to be...
  17. Matthew Saville

Every full-frame sensor released in the last 5+ years has been "half decent". But we don't spend $2K+ on a camera system for "half decent" now, do we? Actually, I take that back; PLENTY of photographers may buy whichever camera they think is the best on-paper, and yet in real world use they...
  18. Matthew Saville

I guess we'll have to wait and see. There was ALSO the hint that the EOS R would (eventually) get a "younger sibling", too. So maybe Canon has a ~$1499 version of the EOS R up their sleeves, with leftover 6D2 sensors going into that camera. If their "classic" 18 MP APS-C sensor is any...
  19. Matthew Saville

Again I have no official confirmation, but the STRONG hint at the official EOS R press release, from the mouths of Canon themselves, was that the next (imminent, even) RF system camera is going to be an "s/R" style camera, not an "X/1" style camera. I think this is a hint that we can take to the...
  20. Matthew Saville

I guess Sega was the Myspace of the game console world. BTW, don't forget one of the most popular systems of all, the *SONY* Playstation. ;-) :-P Proof that they know how to both shake up a market AND survive long-term, indeed...