Search results

1. R

Tripod collar sticks on 70-200 2.8

The tripod collar on my 70-200 2.8 got stuck. It was tight and made a terrible grinding sound. I took me nearly a week to get it to turn enough to remove it. The screws below it on the lens seem to be tight. Is there a DIY fix ?
  2. R

Cost for CPS to inspect impact damage

I want to send my 5D mklll, 70-200 2.8, and 580 ll speedlight to CPS for inspection and evaluation after the strap slipped off my shoulder and the gear fell on carpet covered floor. The gear does not look damaged. If my cover letter includes the words "impact" and "fell on the floor" will that...
  3. R

70-200 mkll tripod mount ring stuck on lens

Anyone here experience their 70-200 mkll tripod mount ring getting stuck on the lens. It happed to me and it took days to remove it. It no longer fits properly and will not turn without binding. The sliver alignment screws are not loose. It's an odd and frustrating problem.
  4. R

5D MK 4 photos compared to MK3

I'm curious how average pictures or portraits compare between the 5D 4 & 5D 3. Has anyone here done side by side comparisons or seen a web posting comparing the two. I've been frustrated by the red/magenta color cast in skin tone using my mk 3 and wonder if the mk4 offers any improvement.
  5. R

Canon flash

Canon
  6. R

Accurate auto flash exposure impossible for 5D MKlll ?

Is there a speed light on the planet that provides reliable auto-exposure for the Canon 5D MKlll ? The Canon 580EX I use is not at all reliable for auto exposure. Is there a speed light that works well, or even a little better ? 2015 and still no decent Canon speed light technology ?
  7. R

Lens deals suddenly dry up

As someone looking to save on a 70-200 f2.8 ll, the recent 20% midnight sale was a cruel tease. Suddenly it seems like all lens deals are gone, prices are up. We're told discount pricing will be stopped by Canon. What's going on ? I'll wait. A week, a month, six months ? I'm just going to...
  8. R

Canon March 23 midnight 20% sale

I learned from Canon Price Watch.com about a 20% March 23 midnight sale for refurbished lenses. I tied to order a zoom at midnight but the lens went out of stock immediately. Any idea if the sale pricing will be honored when in-stock notifications are sent out ? Thanks
  9. R

Improving 5D MK lll skin tone

I love my 5D MK lll bodies but I often struggle with getting high quality skin tone even though I use a custom white balance. Too often I am challenged to reduce excess magenta, red and pinkish tones from skin color and also deal with too much yellow. I'd be much happier with more brown tones...
  10. R

Canon 24-70 2.8 ll, Thanks BuyDig.com and Canon Rumors

Thanks to BuyDig.com and Canon Rumors for the 5% discount on select Canon bodies and lenses. I decided I wasn't going to purchased the over-priced 24-70 2.8 ll until I found a deal from a reliable seller. Canon Rumors and BuyDig worked together to offer special pricing. The 5% turned into a $100...
  11. R

Canon 24-70 2.8 ll or 20-60 2.8 mark 1 ?

I've been increasingly tempted to replace my 24-70 2.8 with the new mark ll model. I was surprised and quite disappointed to discover how much wider the new lens is at both ends of the zoom ! I always wished the lens was a little longer, a 24 to 85 would be ideal. Discovering the new lens is...
  12. R

5D 1DX joystick problem with sports

5D MK lll autofocus impresses me, and I can get by with a 6 FPS motor drive for action. What drives me crazy, and is a serious problem when shooting sports, is the function of the joystick and autofocus selection. On my old 1D MK ll bodies programming a home setting for AF was easy and...
  13. R

Alternative 5D MK lll grip review

A preliminary review of the alternative 5D grip can be found in "Third Party Manufacturers"
  14. R

Best strategy for processing MK lll RAW files ?

After years of shooting jpgs I want to shoot RAW with the new 5D MK lll. I'd also like to beging using the Xrite Passport for batch color correction. I believe it requires conversion to DNG files. This is all new to me so I would appreciate advice on the best current way to process RAW from the...
  15. R

Sleeping Joy Stick

Any way to keep the MKlll joy stick awake ? When covering action events it's not good to have to continually wake up the JS with a shutter button tap.
  16. R

Lighting up a selected 5D AF sensor

The solution I've found for lighting up a select 5D AF sensor is to use AI Focus, or One-Shot. Coming from 1-D MK ll bodies that feature helpful light-up options, I've been concerned by the possible lack of it in the MK lll. It's great the 9 boxes on the 5D MKll screen are gone because I really...
  17. R

5D MK lll arriving a little early ?

My dealer informed me this morning that Canon is shipping their 5D order "in a day or two" and they'll ship my order this week.
  18. R

5D MK lll Intelligent Viewfinder and focusing screen reviews ?

With all the hands-on reviews of the MK lll, how about some comments on the Intelligent Viewfinder and focusing screen. After using 1-D bodies for years I'm not crazy about having AF boxes on the screen of my MK ll, so I welcome the change in the new camera. Can it be set up like 1-D so the...
  19. R

5D MK lll Auto Focus for action

The one thing lacking from all the 5D MK lll previews is auto focus performance for action photography. It's an important question. Six frames-per-second is plenty fast, but how will the 5D track action subjects ? How will it compare to the older-but-popular 1-D MK lln, the 1-D Mk lV, 7D, or...
  20. R

Canon 5D MK ll grip with AA's

Does anyone have experience using AA's in the 5D MK ll grip instead of two LP-E6 batteries. I'd like to use 6 Powerex AA's and recharge as needed instead of ordering a 2nd LP-E6. Any comments ? Thanks Rex