Search results

1. J

The Sad Truth About Canon's Future?

I suspect the idea of a Hasselblad in a toy dump truck would give some Hasselblad aficionados a heart attack! :)
  2. J

Starting wtih a Hassy would be some way to start! :)
  3. J

In my neck of the woods, and doing a quick search just now (I've only looked at the prices at a couple of camera stores): Canon RF 28/2.8 A$495 versus Sony FE 28/2 $508. Canon RF 85/2 A$887 versus Sony FE 85/1.8 A$706. Canon R8 A$2,184 versus ... I'm not sure Sony has a direct competitor to the...
  4. J

If someone was happy going with primes, the Sony option would be the FE 28/2 (or there is the Viltrox 28/1.8) and the FE 85/1.8.
  5. J

Adobe interface frustrations

Over the last year or so Adobe has changed the interface for the Creative Cloud Destop and the Lightroom app (for mobile phones). The Creative Cloud Destop now insists on showing a list of "recent" images I have opened. Photoshop has a similar "feature" but you can set the number of items in...
  6. J

The Mirrorless Data is Clear: Canon is #1

Can I please a try a camera which is 99.9% Canon and 0.1% Sony? That sounds interesting to me!
  7. J

Sony to announce at least two lenses ahead of CP+

Will be interesting to find out more about those lenses. The zoom ranges are quite small, obviously. I assume the lenses will be small and light though. Will have to see what they image quality is like, and the price!
  8. J

Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

Sony's equivalent of DPP is Imaging Edge, not C1 Express for Sony https://creatorscloud.sony.net/catalog/en-au/ie-desktop/index.html Yes, Sony had an arrangement with C1 which gave Sony users (not sure if it applied to all Sony cameras or just some though) Capture One Express for Sony and...
  9. J

I can't say I've ever looked that closely at DPP or the equivalent software from Sony or Nikon, but I do have the impression all of them provide a fairly basic package and are content to let third parties like Adobe do the more advanced software.
  10. J

Sorry, but DPP is not free. It is bundled with a camera purchase. Saying DPP is free is like saying you are paying for a sensor and the rest of the camera is free. If DPP was not included, potentially a buyer would have no way of processing images. Obviously Canon could sell a camera without...
  11. J

Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM Confirmed for 2024 [CR3]

I have been a CR member for many years (at least 15 years I think) and I bought one of the lifetime memberships when they were first offered. Over the years I have learned a lot about photography gear and about photography more generally from CR, and I remain interested in photography gear...
  12. J

I would not have felt happy with the STM primes. I would not have felt happy with the L primes either. And you will see from my previous post that I assume Canon has good commercial reasons for its strategy. I don't see any indication that strategy will change any time soon either. Which is why...
  13. J

I think it's perfectly understandable that some people would like something better than the RF 35mm F/1.8 but still would like something smaller than a 35mm f/1.2 seems likely to be. No doubt Canon has got commercial reasons for what it is doing - it is making products to get the best return it...
  14. J

I think the most obvious comparitor is the Sigma 35mm f/1.2 DN Art https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/a019_35_12/ That lens comes in at just under 1.1 kg. Sony managed to make the 35mm GM (524g) a little smaller and lighter and a little better optically than the Sigma 35 f/1.4 DN Art...
  15. J

Sony Electronics and The Associated Press Complete Testing of Advanced In-Camera Authenticity Technology to Address Growing Concerns Around Fake Im...

I really hope someone - Sony, Canon, whoever - can make this sort of system/technology work and it becomes standard.
  16. J

Canon not going global shutter with next round of EOS R camera bodies

I don't understand why people get so upset about whose sensor is "better" in a situation like this. All camera gear involves trade offs, and in this case Sony has provided an option which people haven't had before, but while you can have a global shutter and its benefits it also comes with...
  17. J

Canon RF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS USM Z to be announced this week

You are certainly correct about different needs and wants. I'm happy for all the people who are excited about the 24-105 f,/2.8 and I know there are people who will love it and put it to good use. I definitely wouldn't say it's a missed opportunity! However I'm one who, like Walrus, have no...
  18. J

Canon Patent Application: Canon RF 56mm F1.2

I agree about the newer, sharper, lenses creating images which have a tendency to look like a montage when shot at wide aperture. I recall people complaining about the "sticker effect" of the original Sigma 35 and 50 Art lenses, but I think it was just a consequence of the increased sharpness...
  19. J

Is it finally happening? Canon RF 50mm f/1.4 USM [CR1]

It sounds like the lens you would like is something along the lines of a Canon version of the Sony 50mm f/1.4 GM. The Sony lens is about US$1,300 though, so as you say, if you want it to be sub-US$1,000 it's not going to be an "L" lens (GM is Sony's version of "L", of cousre). If it is a step...
  20. J

Sony officially announces the a7CR and a7C II along with the FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II

From a quick look, it seems: Sony 16-35 f/2.8 II: relatively small and light, relatively high maximum magnification, no IS. RF 15-35 f/2.8 IS: compared to the Sony, it is bigger, heavier and has lower maximum magnification, but you get an extra mm at the wide end and IS. RF 14-35 f/4 IS...