Search results

1. J

Adobe interface frustrations

Over the last year or so Adobe has changed the interface for the Creative Cloud Destop and the Lightroom app (for mobile phones). The Creative Cloud Destop now insists on showing a list of "recent" images I have opened. Photoshop has a similar "feature" but you can set the number of items in...
  2. J

Sony 50mm f/1.2 GM released

Sony has joined Canon and Nikon in the 50mm f/1.2 club, by following its recent 35mm f/1.4 GM (and Sigma's 35mm f/1.2 DN Art) with a 50mm f/1.2 GM. Looks like an excellent lens for Sony users.
  3. J

Lightroom Classic shortcuts not working?

Hi all After installing the latest update for Lightroom Classic, the arrow keys no longer work when in X/Y compare mode. Left and right arrows used to allow you to scroll through candidates, and the down arrow swapped the select and current candidate. Anyone else having the same issue? FYI...
  4. J

Any news on if/when we will see Sigma and Tamron RF lenses?

I know there is at least on RF lens from Samyang (with AF), and I have heard there is at least one from Mieke, but the R/RF gear has been out for almost two years now and we haven't seen anything from Sigma or Tamron. The R5 and R6 releases give a pretty clear impression that mirrorless is the...
  5. J

Trip to Alicante, Spain

I am about to go to Alicante for a couple of weeks, and wondering if anyone has any tips for me? My time in Alicante is not all holiday (unfortunately!), and it's not a photography trip, but I should get a bit of time to have a look around. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to do one or two day...
  6. J

PC update recommendations

Hi all My PC has quit (pretty sure the motherboard is fried) so I am going to have to update it. My use will be digital photography (Lightroom and PS), MS Office, general internet use, perhaps use it as a music source. I will run Windows 10. I won't be using it for games, and no interest in...
  7. J

Matt Granger Nikon Z7 review

I haven't watched all of it but I watched part of Matt Granger's Z7 review and I thought it was quite interesting to hear his views about what Nikon got right and wrong ... and compare that to what I've been reading about what Canon got right and wrong with the EOS R...
  8. J

third party lenses and Canon AF lens groups

Hi all I recently acquired a 6DII, which as I understand it makes AF points flash in the viewfinder if a lens is using the AF point as a line AF sensor rather than a cross-type AF sensor (p138 of the manual). To my surprise, my Sigma 35 Art and Sigma 50 Art lenses cause all AF points to flash...
  9. J

updating lens info in LR

Hi all After a firmware update for my 6D a while ago, the camera started correctly identifying my Sigma Art lenses, and that has flowed through to LR. However, before the firmware update, my 6D identified the Sigma lenses only by focal length (eg 35mm or 50mm) without any other info. The result...
  10. J

Tongariro Northern Circuit

I recently walked the Tongariro Northern Circuit in New Zealand and I thought I'd put up some photos. All photos taken with a 6D + 24-70 f/4L IS. For those interested in the walk, it is about 45 km and the circuit starts and finishes in Whakapapa Village. Basically, you walk around Mt...
  11. J

Peak Design Slide - grippy side deteriorating

Hi all On my Slide strap, which is about 2 years old I think, the substance on the sticky/grippy side which is supposed to stop the strap slipping around has gotten soft and really sticky, and is starting to rub off. It's like it has started to melt a little bit. It leaves a stain/mark on...
  12. J

tips for Europe trip

Hi all I will be in Europe next month - Paris, Vienna, a few locations in northern Italy, then London for a few days on the way home. It is not a photography trip - it is a mixture of work and holiday - but of course I would like to come back with some good photos if possible. For photography...
  13. J

Windows 10 and laptop battery life

Hi all Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a huge drop in battery life with Windows 10? My laptop battery is down to about 30% or even less compared to what I got on Windows 8 or Windows 7 before that. My ASUS laptop uses an older Intel i5 CPU with an Nvidia GT520M graphics chip as well...
  14. J

Raya Pro Panel

Hi all I understand this http://www.shutterevolve.com/raya-pro-the-ultimate-digital-blending-workflow-panel-for-photoshop/ has only just been released. I am thinking of buying it, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it and has any views on it? thanks
  15. J

Lowepro Rover 45L AW

Hi all I am considering the Lowepro Rover 45L AW bag at the moment. I was thinking it might make a good bag for day hikes and short triips, and I could take out the camera inserts and put them into a larger ("normal", ie non-camera) hiking pack or other bag when I need to carry more. Does...
  16. J

Peak Design Slide strap thoughts ...

I have had a Slide strap since Christmas. Even though it's nice in a lot of ways, I'm finding I don't especially like using it. The problem is the strap is still fairly wide and stiff/inflexible quite close to where it connects to the camera. Because of that the strap tends to get in the way of...
  17. J

which telephoto for travel?

Hi all Short version - should I switch out my 70-200 4L IS, or even my 70-200 2.8L IS II, for a 135L? Longer version ... Over the last 12 months I have bought and sold a few lenses and I'm generally pretty happy with my kit now. I have a 6D with: 35 2 IS - general walk around / street /...
  18. J

Canon 24-70 f/4L IS sharpness

Hi all I've started this thread as a result of a question Act444 asked in another thread: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=24523.0 The other thread was about a review of Canon's new 24-105 non-L lens so it seemed better to start a new thread for this rather than further...
  19. J

Blackrapid strap slips

Hi all I have a Blackrapid Sport strap. The problem I'm having is that every time I adjust the length of the strap, the strap pretty quickly extends back to its maximum length once I start using it. If I'm using my 70-200 2.8, I'd be lucky to have walked for 10 minutes before the strap has...
  20. J

Canon 24-70 f/4L IS disappointing?

Hi all I've been playing with a Canon 24-70 4L IS for the last few weeks and comparing it to my old Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG HSM. I haven't had that much time to do comparisons but so far I'm struggling to be impressed by the 24-70 4L IS. I was hoping - expecting really - it would be a clear...