Search results

1. O

CIPA February 2024: So Far So Good

Surprised you didn't comment... "Overall for the first two months of the year, Japanese camera manufacturers have shipped 102% more DSLRs and 143% more Mirrorless cameras from the same period last year." Isn't that more correctly 2% more and 43% more units respectively? Not exactly 'growth'...
  2. O

Can anyone handhold a 2 second exposure with good results?

Computational photography and IBIS can work wonders. Hand held true 2 second exposure is 'easily' handled by my 2 generations outdated Olympus m43 gear with 'normal' focal length lens. You do have to be reasonably careful - it helps to limit caffeine intake. Newer OMDS models claim even...
  3. O

Landscapes

Great shot, I really like the lighting and prefer 'detailed' water sometimes versus every shot having what I'd call 'wispy water.' You are right, CR forum generally doesn't have much tolerance for anything less than FF and fast lenses. As always, the best camera is the one you have with you.
  4. O

canon lens query

The 60D w/15-85 is a great general purpose combo. I shot that pair for years. Many consider the 15-85 as being essentially L quality - in fact on a crop body my 15-85 is clearly sharper than my 24-105 L. As to telephoto, I have not used the 70-200 L so can't help there. I have the 55-250 and...
  5. O

Pop Up Ads Make Canon Rumors Unusable

I tend to agree! I never did the 'pro' signup as I enjoyed some of the ads and occasionally found something interesting that I otherwise wouldn't have come across. Now the clutter out weighs the worthwhile content. I used to check the site daily, now once every couple weeks is all I can stand.
  6. O

Is there a new model coming for the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens?

RF is the future for all things Canon. It is very unlikely you will find an EF mount lens updated by Canon from now on. You may see some new third party EF options, but nothing new from Canon. The 100 L macro remains a fine lens. It's stabilization isn't the latest generation but otherwise...
  7. O

Africa film ready for client presentation

Agree w/unfocused about #7 - client may ultimately want video packaged in 30 and 60 second clips for distribution to other media but if that wasn't part of your original contract it should be a separate project. You can't be expected to edit forever.
  8. O

Africa film ready for client presentation

Old stills photog here so comments are those of video consumer, not producer... Excellent work, great teaser for your client. I'm sure they will be pleased. I read the comments and then watched. Quick cuts didn't bother me - seemed consistent with desired pace and commonly used in many...
  9. O

Smartphone Cameras Will Be Superior to SLRs by 2024, Says Sony CEO

You don't understand, The phone will have a small wart on the back side which will house a 100 mm equivalent focal length lens. Sensor resolution will be 200+ MP and digital zoom will make up for the short lens focal length. Powerful AI will fill in any blurred details. You will love the...
  10. O

Added ads and more added adds, what gives?

Old tread I know, but it seems the number of ads has ratcheted up again. They pop-up on the bottom, top and sides of the page. Plus the relevance to topic has dropped. Far more irrelevant and annoying ads. As I explained above, I have left my ad blocker set to allow some ads to pass. I...
  11. O

DPReview fastest models comparison Nikon, Sony, Canon...

Know the audience and calibrate accordingly... good advice for both presenters and those watching. Lots of folks on this forum are likely owners of the class of cameras being reviewed, in fact some already have one or more. As such they will spend the time to get to know their equipment and how...
  12. O

Anyway to lock to focus of an RF lens / Body?

As one of those old pj guys I've relied on the 'f8 and be there' rule extensively - actually my old Graflex 510 volt flash had enough power to make that f11 often. The whole point was to capture a usable shot in situations where you didn't have time to focus correctly. I think you may be...
  13. O

Which is the best Canon EOS camera?

+1 for AlanF's comment. He is one of the most diligent 'testers' on this site but he knows testing has to align with usage to be of value. The old adage 'the best camera is the one you have with you' still rings true. No technical measure will tell you which camera feels best in your hand...
  14. O

Added ads and more added adds, what gives?

I avoided getting the Pro membership just because I occasionally find the ads on CR interesting - highlighting something I might not otherwise come across. I do normally run an ad-blocker which is set to allow certain 'qualified' ads. CR occasionally asks to continue with the blocker in place...
  15. O

Will there be an APS-C EOS R-series camera?

Good point... note the rest of my comment: "Canon has the market numbers and we don't, but I'm still not convinced."
  16. O

Just curious, wasn't there also a significant mid-cycle firmware update? So now we have a CR2 rumor there will be two APS-C EOS R series bodies next year. Seems Canon has decided there might be a market after all. My speculation is one mostly plastic body at the low end - to replace the...
  17. O

Is there anywhere in the Detroit area that sells ink for Canon large format printers?

Best I can suggest is ProCam in Livonia. They appear to carry the MC-30 maintenance cartridge but not the ink? They should be able to put you in touch with local Canon rep. who should know if any retail outlets have stock. Otherwise you are looking at over-night from B&H or Adorama if they...
  18. O

IMO a lower strength AA filter in the R3 is a move in the right direction for Canon. For some reason, Canon has seemed reluctant to eliminate or reduce the strength of their AA filters. Many people complained that the 7 series suffered from too strong an AA filter which limited apparent...
  19. O

You are right. My math and yours agree, my extrapolation to print size was in error and has been edited out from above comment. Published spec. numbers I used don't have as many significant digits as what you list, nevertheless, I agree the 90D will have slightly more 'pixels on duck' than the...
  20. O

"AlanF: A 32 Mpx Canon 90D and M6II with its 1.6x crop factor outresolves and gives more reach than a 20 Mpx Olympus micro 4/3 with its 2x crop factor with the same focal length lens." An interesting comparison but if my math is right these are closer than one might think. The 90D has 21 Mpx...