Search results

1. Ladislav

Is Bowens still in business? Any alternative to XMT500?

I'm considering buying my first flesh heads and I'm very interested in battery powered Bowens XMT500 Twin head kit. But I wonder if this is the right choice. Even though Bowens seems to be UK company, their products are sold only by Wex and they are constantly "awaiting stock". So are they so...
  2. Ladislav

HP Spectre x360

Does anyone have experience with using HP Spectre x360 for photo processing? Even as the main computer? I had a chance playing with a 13" top spec model (but FHD screen) and I really liked it. I especially liked option to convert it to tablet and use stylus - that was kind of selling point for...
  3. Ladislav

Write through cache for Windows 10

My use case: I have quite large collection of photos (2TB+) in single Lightroom catalog. I don't access many of those photos but still want to have search capability over their metadata. I usually access only few last collections. My HW: I'm considering going laptop only and using NAS or DAS as...
  4. Ladislav

Heat wave distortion and long lenses

I visited two airshows this weekend (Flying Legends and Air tattoo) and had a lot of fun bringing home thousands of pictures. It was almost clear sky and very hot both days. When reviewing my pictures I noticed that with long distances and longer focal lengths all images become out of focus /...
  5. Ladislav

NAS storage advice

Yesterday I returned from Tankfest with about 80GB of pictures and when trying to import them to Lightroom I realized that I don't have enough space on my hard drives to copy them to my computer. I have been thinking about buying a proper storage for quite some time but money went always to...
  6. Ladislav

Canon Connect Station CS100 for backup while travelling

I'm looking for some simple and cheap solution to backup photos from memory cards while traveling (I don't like taking laptop as well). While Canon Connect Station CS100 is probably a weird option, it is currently on sale for 30 GBP which is cheaper than many 32GB memory cards. Do you think...
  7. Ladislav

Trip to India - any advice?

I was invited to visit Indian wedding in the second half of February. The wedding is directly in Agra. I'm considering going to India for 2 days wedding and up to another week of sight seeing / photography. I'm not so much concerned about what to take with me in terms of gear selection. I'm...
  8. Ladislav

Any experience with new LEE ProGlass IRND filters?

I started with LEE 100mm system this year. I currently have Little and Big Stoppers and 2 stop soft and hard grads. I was doing some waterfall photography last weekend and found Little stopper too strong for that. So I thought about buying 3 stop 100mm filter and found that older ProGlass...
  9. Ladislav

Gitzo G lock and sandy beaches

What is your experience with Gitzo G lock system and sandy beaches? I have GT3542LS legs - Systematic, series 3, 4 sections. I used them in coastal areas last week and it seems that sand got inside locks. Especially last section with the smallest G lock is now hard to lock. Does it mean that...
  10. Ladislav

What gear for Airtattoo air show?

I'm going to Airtattoo air show next weekend: http://www.airtattoo.com/ It is my first air show ever so I have no idea what gear I should use. There will be both static and flying display. I have 6D. The longest lens I have is 70-300 L IS. I expect that it will not be long enough for flying...
  11. Ladislav

Camera & gear insurance - UK

What is the good camera insurance / insurer in UK? I have home insurance from HSBC (it is sold by HSBC but provided by Aviva). It somehow covers my camera gear as well but it has some limitations - including 1500 GBP limit on single insured item. With current drop in British Pound, some of my...
  12. Ladislav

Canon TS lenses - extreme shift and image quality

Is there any guidance on what are "extreme" shift values on 17 TS-E L and 24 TS-E L Mk II lenses? Older TS lenses had red part of shift and tilt range showing "extreme" values where image quality was worse. Are shift values over 0.6cm still considered extreme? I'm trying to figure out if...
  13. Ladislav

Choosing Lee starting kit

For a long time, I was considering a filter system. I was considering either Lee or NiSi and at the end I think I've decided to go for Lee system. I hope the Lee system is compatible with NiSi graduated filters if I want to buy some of those later. Anyway. I'm trying to figure out what would be...
  14. Ladislav

Arca style plates compatibility with Sirui clamp

Does anyone have experience of compatibility of Arca style plates from major brands (RRS, Kirk, Wimberley, ...) with Sirui clamps (or Sirui ball heads)? Clamp...
  15. Ladislav

Arca Swiss Z1 SP ball head and quickset options

I'm considering replacing my Manfrotto tripod legs and ball head with RC2 compatible release plates for Gitzo legs (Systematic Series 3, 4 sections, long) and Arca Swiss Z1 SP Ball head but I'm confused with different quicksets available with the head: - MonoballFix -...
  16. Ladislav

Canon 24 TS-E II - manual focusing

I bought slightly used Canon 24 TS-E Mk. II to use on my Canon 6D. I will initially use it mainly for architecture = shift function. I plan trying tilt for landscapes later. I'm not so much interested in miniature type of shots but I may try it just for fun as well. Anyway, I played with the...
  17. Ladislav

Issue with macro stacking and Photoshop

I've never tried macro stacking before so after visiting another forum thread: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20914.0, I decided to try it myself with software I already have - Photoshop CC. I did multiple test images today but few of the processed stacks suffer from some very...
  18. Ladislav

How many DNG profiles do you use for your camera?

I bought X-Rite Color Passport Checker, read part of the documentation and watched some introduction video. It explained me how to create a profile for camera but it did not provide any answer to how many profiles I should create. I generally took my camera, all my lenses, ND filters and CPL...
  19. Ladislav

Lee filters and other

I read several other topics about Lee filters on this forum but I still decided to start just another one to get some answers. I currently have 82mm Hoya HD CPL, Hoya Pro ND8 and ND64 and 67 B+W CPL. I was considering some graduated ND filters as well as 77mm filters for Canon 16-35/4. Buying...
  20. Ladislav

Monitor calibration in home (uncontrolled) environment

I'm using two older Dell IPS displays (U2311H) in uncontrolled environment (home - study room) where light conditions are inevitable changing during the day but there is no direct light coming to the screens. Is there any way how to keep those displays at least approximately calibrated? I have...