Search results

1. L

Suggestions on new Canon DSLR -- thinking 60D

60D is a great camera--I've got one myself. I've also shot on a D7000 at work, but primarily for video and time lapses--both are great cameras for the price; though the 60D wins for video. I'd agree with some earlier posters and say see what happens in the next month before you buy, if you...
  2. L

Why so much trust in DXO.

I have to be honest. I didn't really read many of the posts above. First off--does DXO really matter? 5d3 and d800 are both great cameras, I think we could all agree on that. 2nd, though, I feel like many people may be letting their blind love of Canon get in the way. If Dxo came out and...
  3. L

Looking for an windeangle lens for Eos 60D

I just got the Canon 10-22 a few weeks ago for $500 on Craigslist. I love the lens already. Totally worth it. I haven't used any of the other ef-s super wides but I've heard they're all pretty great.
  4. L

Sony NEX FS 700 effect on canon and market

I totally agree, wombat. I wish every video camera could be ergonomically designed to shoot video, had xlr inputs, had the switches and outputs of pro cameras, etc. But like you mentioned, people came to dslrs because of the beautiful image they could create compared to anything else...
  5. L

Sony NEX FS 700 effect on canon and market

http://www.pro.sony.eu/biz/lang/en/eu/product/nxcamcorders/nex-fs700e/features What do you guys think? This seems kind of like a game changer to me. Is this going to force Canon's hand on pricing? The rumored $8000-9000 price tag is certainly higher than much of the 5d3 market, but I would...
  6. L

Is Continous Autofocus a big deal for those who shoot video

You're right, Leadfingers. Live events are definitely one instance when auto focus (if it works well) can be handy. Especially when it's a single camera shoot and you can't zoom in to get your focus first.
  7. L

Is Continous Autofocus a big deal for those who shoot video

Not a big deal. Nearly all the video professionals I know shoot exclusively manual focus. And the ones who don't use manual most of the time--let's just say they're not that talented in general. (I'm not bashing you if you use auto focus a lot for video--I'm just speaking from my personal...
  8. L

ND Filter for video - how to use?

Good decision, I think. And I think if you use a softbox that should cut enough light to not need ND inside. I find dimmers are helpful for adjusting back light--just keep in mind that when you dim tungsten it gets a warmer color temp so you may need to get a new white balance if you dim...
  9. L

Introducing the Canon 5D Mark III

http://philipbloom.net/2012/03/02/the-long-awaited-canon-5d-mkiii-is-it-what-we-were-hoping-for/
  10. L

Introducing the Canon 5D Mark III

http://gizmodo.com/5889707/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-video-chompin-darkness-slaying-digital-single-reflex-camera-pr0n-bring-it
  11. L

Is the watch party working for you?

Hey, at least canonrumors.com hasn't crashed... yet.
  12. L

Is the watch party working for you?

is there somewhere else we can see live blogging?
  13. L

*UPDATE* Here's an Invite for March 2, 2012

We can only hope it's as exciting as this: http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/canon-china-introduces-eos-550d-aka-rebel-t2i-dslr-jackie-chan-limited-edition,14694.html
  14. L

Re: Here's an Invite for March 2, 2012 Eos is the goddess of dawn... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eos but...
  15. L

Re: Here's an Invite for March 2, 2012 so from what I can tell the announcement will be 3:30am on Friday morning (eastern standard)?
  16. L

Re: Here's an Invite for March 2, 2012 Not trying to be a negative nancy, but this invite looks kind of lack luster compared to the invite for other recent invites for big items--the C300 invite comes to mind. If this is for 5diii you'd think canon would want to pump up the volume a little...
  17. L

Maybe the OP can clear it up, but I'm pretty sure in this case he was talking about the stutter you can get from using very high shutter speed, not related to the grid. You'd even get this shooting outside. I shoot a lot at 1/50th (or 1/48th with magic lantern) and 24p and don't have trouble...
  18. L

White (collapsable) reflectors; subtle, or TOO subtle to be useful?

Agreed--white bounce works well when you can get close enough. I try not to use silver (and never use gold) as that can get a bit harsh for my taste. Just about the only time I would use silver is when I can't get close enough to use the white. Plus, since most of my work is video, if you use...
  19. L

I agree with previous poster--if you can, get a variable neutral density filter. This will let you keep the same shutter, aperture and iso (more or less) and only change your neutral density--it feels much the way you would adjust the iris ring on a normal video camera. If it's not too late...
  20. L

Large Prints

Agreed. I've been meaning to ask about this topic for a while as well. Doing some limited research I'm getting the sense that for most things you can get away with doing a lot less than 300dpi depending on viewing distance. I'd love to hear the limits everyone uses and the workflow you use to...