Search results

1. P

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Achieves Best Canon Sensor Score at DXO

Where have you been Canon for the past 6+ years? Glad to see you again! Yay! Thumbs up on the new Canon sensors! :D
  2. P

More Specifications & Images of EOS 5D Mark IV

As a still shooter, after watching the live panel discussion, I find the following new features interesting: 1) focusing points more spread out vertically and horizontally than any previously released Canon, making rule of third focusing possible. (No need to focus and recompose) 2) extracts...
  3. P

B&H Hosting a Live Panel Discussion For EOS 5D Mark IV at 2PM EST

As a still shooter, after watching the live discussion, I find the following new features interesting: 1) focusing points more spread out vertically and horizontally than any previously released Canon, making rule of third focusing possible. (No need to focus and recompose) 2) extracts shadow...
  4. P

More Specifications & Images of EOS 5D Mark IV

If this dual pixel 5Dmkiv can do half what a "light field camera" can do, on the "focusing after the shoot" part, it would be a breakthrough for Canon! Theoretically speaking dual pixel cameras just might be able to do it, since one pixel can carry the magnitude info and the other phase of the...
  5. P

A Canon DSLR First Coming to EOS 5D Mark IV [CR2]

Love to have sensor stabilisation but sure Canon won't give that to us! That is a major feature so it is unlikely what it is! What about a Sony sensor? sure Canon first! But I don't think so seeing where 1DXmk2 is going... Probably crop shooting mode or EVF or something boring like this... ::)
  6. P

Stock Notice: Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT at B&H Photo

Re: Stock Notice: Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT at B&H Photo I hope the YN-E3-RT trigger still works with 600EX II-RT! If not, you know the reasons for this quick 600Ex II-RT update! ;) Anyone has any experience?
  7. P

Google Nik Collection is Now Free

Yay! what a great news! Thank you Google! ;D ;D ;D
  8. P

Patent: Tamron 85mm f/1.4 VC USD

An interesting read: "shutter speed for portrait work" http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2654802
  9. P

I used to think that one needs 1/60s or faster to shoot sharp still portraits to avoid motion blur, until my friend opened up my eyes with the humble Canon 24-105 F4 IS. Well, his 1/15S was by mistake LOL! I was surprised that he had a lot of sharp keepers at 1/15S for still portraits. That...
  10. P

Another reason I can think of is noise. What ISO were u shooting at 1/85 & f1.2? With a slower shutter at 1/15S, I can drop the ISO by more than 2 stops and get a much cleaner image. Higher dynamic range too :) Well, many times f1.4 doesn't give me the DOF I need, not to mention f1.2, so I have...
  11. P

I have been waiting for ages for this! I want one! :) What have you been Canon?
  12. P

5DS scores at DXO **now posted**

Re: 5DS scores at DXO still not posted This is to be expected since Canon hasn't made much progress in the dynamic range department for 5DS & 5DS R.
  13. P

5 Things We need to Forget About as Photographers (by Jay Goodrich)

Lovely capture Jack! Pls share your focusing technique with a 6D! My 5D2's focusing is even worse LOL! Tks!
  14. P

How do I improve this picture?

I like the silhouette idea. Very natural. Pick better leaves as foreground. The leaves on the left look like they r drying out. The ones on the right looks much better and have better curves. Moving the moon away from centre should improve composition. The 2 blur spots on the right are...
  15. P

buying advice: canon 85mm f1.2 II or f1.8?

For me, I could shoot portraits all day with a 85/1.8 without using much effort. Not sure I wanna do that with 85/1.2 as it is quite heavy. So if I had the 2, I would probably use 85/1.8 80% of the time and 85/1.2 20% of the time. Indeed, I would wait for the sigma 85mm 1.4 ART b4 I make a...
  16. P

Help me decide: should I buy an EF 135L

I have 135L on 5D2. Great for indoor spots where u need a fast shutter speed with f2.0. Also great for concerts. Light weight & fast focus. Superb image quality. Too long shooting small space indoors unless u just want a head shot. ;) The lack of IS sometimes makes this lens harder to use...
  17. P

Do I Need $ 634 US Dollars Light meter ?

An incident flash meter is really important in the studio because it will give you lighting ratio between different lights that your camera meter/histogram will never be able to tell u! Having said that, u really don't need to buy anything LOL! Just put a white coffee cup in front of your...
  18. P

If you've got a decent body and decent lenses, the next most important thing is-

1) learn how to compose 2) learn how to light 3) learn how to post-process your image I would rate the above more important than the gears u have collected :) If u only talk about gears, get lightroom & photoshop! If u shoot portraits, get some studio strobes & softboxes.
  19. P

Share 3x your own advice to yourself!

1) Join a photo club. 2) Learn composition as well as the technique. 3) Beware of the lighting every time u shoot.
  20. P

Share 3x your own advice to yourself!

Agreed 100%. At the same time it was showing the good relationship between the dog and his owner. Without the shadow, the pic would have been very dry.