Search results

1. M

Things to See in Canada late septebmber - mid October

I'm going to second (or third or forth), Canada is huge. Second largest country in the world (though most of our population is within a few hundred KM of the US border - as is most of our infrastructure and highways). If you only have 18 or 19 days, there is no way to make it across the...
  2. M

Whats the going rate for a decent quality wedding photographer.

Perfect Orangutan. I couldn't agree more with the idea of meeting with the photog (after all, you will spend all day with them) and looking at full weddings. Not just a best of gallery. Also couldn't agree more, style is also of critical importance. Don't hire someone who creates portraits...
  3. M

Whats the going rate for a decent quality wedding photographer.

As a small business, with a desire to take care of our client's needs, most of our work comes before or after the wedding. We scout every location before we shoot, whether we've shot there 15 times or never. We create a shooting plan for rain or shine. We take time to look at engagement...
  4. M

The Bride chose my images instead of the photographer, how much should I charge?

In terms of my guest comment. I was using shorthand. My mistake. When I said 'shooting' I meant 'working' the wedding. Shooting more than a guest would normally, being in places a guest shouldn't be, i.e. middle of the aisle at the kiss, in the reception hall while we're doing details etc. . ...
  5. M

Reports of German Photojournalist Killed and Canadian wounded in AFG.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/two-foreign-journalists-shot-in-afghanistan-one-dead/article17822356/
  6. M

The Bride chose my images instead of the photographer, how much should I charge?

I'm going to use short-hand here . . . In Toronto, Canada, a second-shooter's images 'belong' to the hired photog. Even if a guest has persuaded the bride and groom to let them 'shoot' the wedding (not my favourite, but it is their day, not mine), the photos of the 'guest second-shooter'...
  7. M

Three days in The Big Apple

Make sure you take a spin to the Top of the Rock. The worst thing about the Empire State Building, you can't see the Empire State Building. The Rock gives a great view of the State Building and the Park. Second, take the ferry to Staten Island. It's not so much Staten Island that you want...
  8. M

Headed on safari, need some advice

Oh, sorry. And if you get a chance to see a cheetah hunt, put the camera down. We were given this advice, and I've never had a more awesome 10 second wildlife experience in my life and we've been lucky to see a lot. The evolution of the cheetah into a speed machine is incredible. You just...
  9. M

Headed on safari, need some advice

I didn't see it mentioned yet (I could have missed it). I can't stress enough that you need to bring some good dust covers. Depending on the rain (which you can't really count on day to day), it can be incredibly dusty! Incredibly. As for beanbags, you don't have to bring a full bean bag...
  10. M

As the Photographers--What will we do?

Perhaps controversial based on the responses provided so far, but, sometimes taking the picture helps more. I'm not a conflict photographer, nor am I a photojournalist in sensitive situations, but a true calling requires discipline and sacrifice. Again, sometimes taking the photo helps more...
  11. M

Which photographers do you admire or are influenced by?

I have to go with Helmut Newton. Although he worked in a feild of superstar photographers, in my opinion, he did something new. Although he was a product of his times and his culture, he pushed the eroticism of fashion photography, and of portrait photography itself (the lense being the...
  12. M

Wrong Photography Ethics?

In my humble opinion (which is often wrong - not the humble part), unless you are taking photos to go into a newspaper or photos that are intended to prove a point (i.e. polar bears swimming and drowning in iceless water etc. - no need to debate the example I chose) there is no such thing as...
  13. M

Ever borrow from CPS

CPS has been great. When we went to Tanzania last year I borrowed a body when mine decided to stop working 3 days before I left. The staff in Canada are incredible. A body was shipped out to me sameday before I could get mine to them for repair. I'm a platinium member, which allowed for more...
  14. M

Gloves for Photography

We were on a trip to South Georgia and Antarctica two years back. Despite the fact that we were so far south, it wasn't all that cold for most of the trip (right around freezing). There were however some very serious exceptions - standing on deck could be -30 with windchill and our landing on...