Search results

1. Z

Vote for National Geographic

;D I've been lucky enough to have one of my shots selected for National Geographic's Daily Dozen (Tue Oct 14). http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/ It was taken with a 7D and 24/70 f/2.8 at ISO 1600 If anyone is a fan of the Nat Geo 'Your Shot' and likes my photo, I'd really...
  2. Z

Beach Vacation in a month... & I'm scared for my gear.

I understand your apprehension, but the way I try to look at it is: what's the point in having that gear with you if your fear will inhibit your creativity? Either get your gear insured for all risks (which you should anyway) and forget about it, or just take the $200 point and shoot. You'll...
  3. Z

24-70mm f/2.8L II or EF 24-70mm f/4L IS or EF 24-105mm f/4L IS at F9

Quick comparison of the 24-70 f/2.8 II vs. the 24-105 at f/8: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=787&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=4&LensComp=355&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=3 Summary: Slightly more CA and slightly less sharpness with...
  4. Z

im thinking about buying a DELL 2713HM - how important is wide gamut?

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I was hoping my U2410 would have better panel uniformity to be honest, but I knew what I was getting in for after reading the tftcentral review. My monitor is calibrated to 100cd/m^2 but the bottom left hand corner is 83 and the right-hand side is 107...
  5. Z

Ha, yeah I did. That's a good question and I don't really have a good answer. As I said, I've only recently swapped to wide gamut. But if I had to take a stab at a percent of my photos that would significantly benefit from wide gamut editing/printing, it'd be around 5%. It seems to be photos...
  6. Z

I've just swapped to wide gamut and I wouldn't go back. The extra colour depth is noticeable and I really appreciate it for skin tone highlights. However, wide gamut comes with several caveats. You really need a solid understanding of colour management or it is likely to bite you in the ass...
  7. Z

Square 100 x 100 mm ND filters

Quick tip: get a set of Lee ND hard grads instead. That way, you can turn the grad upside-down to use it as a ND filter. However, the hard ND resins only go up to 1.2 (4 stops) max, I believe. Still, you could stack (:o) them. Then you have a set of hard grads (very useful) and NDs. ;) P.S. I...
  8. Z

Canon Surveys for 5D Mark III

If it's any consolation I wrote about that in one of the free text boxes, and I bet I'm not the only one.
  9. Z

Canon Surveys for 5D Mark III

So I got my feedback request e-mail for the 5D Mk. III from Canon today. Thought a couple of questions were interesting. Firstly: Second interesting question: I guess it's Canon sussing out the perception of the competition, but it might give some idea as to the future of the 5D. Make of it...
  10. Z

How to shoot parties (general stuff: birthday, halloween, casual gatherings)

Hmm. Yes! Okay, so in your situation I'd want to try to capture as much of the ambient of the party as possible. I'd probably start off with your 50mm (80mm 'equivalent' and a nice portrait lens on crop) in manual mode: ISO 400, f/2.8 at 1/60sec. Chimp your screen for a rough idea of where your...
  11. Z

How to shoot parties (general stuff: birthday, halloween, casual gatherings)

You'll want to go easy on that flash for a couple of reasons. Firstly, at a party, if you're not careful you can end up nuking the ambient entirely with flash and losing all sense of atmosphere. Photos will just look like oddly dressed people standing in a room filled with daylight. Secondly...
  12. Z

looking for equivalent to efs 17-55 f/2.8 in EF line

The 24-105 f/4. At a glance the f/4 figure will seem like a downgrade from the f/2.8 of the 17-55, but the short answer is the full frame sensor will more than compensate for the smaller max aperture. Neuro will probably be along in a mo to explain exactly why. The technical details escape me ;)
  13. Z

Canon EOS 4D reference in Wifi remote app video

As I'm sure has been pointed out before, superstition never stopped Nikon releasing the D4.
  14. Z

Describe the 6D in one word...

I think it's kind of cool how it focuses down to -3 EV ... That's about it. The price will fall though.
  15. Z

Is there a good looking camera bag anywhere in the world??

Domke. If you're concerned about 'padding' and your gear getting knocked... then not Domke.
  16. Z

Hey, that's a nice photo, you must have an expensive camera

Don't let it bother you. Like others have said, the majority of people will never appreciate the work that goes into creating 'good' photographs, so don't even bother.
  17. Z

EOS BODY FOR ARCHITECTURE

The 63-point autofocus system is unimportant for architectural photography - you will most likely want to use manual focus anyway. A tilt-shift lens is pretty much a requisite for architectural photography, and for building interiors I would recommend the Canon 17mm TS-E and a 5D Mark II. This...
  18. Z

EOS 1DX vs. EOS 5D MARK III for Weddings,

As someone has already pointed out, the silent shutter of the 5D is not to be underestimated. I love it. It's also a less imposing camera (without the grip), if that suits your style of photography. The 1D X has better sealing, but I have shot with the 5D III in the rain several times without...
  19. Z

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Firmware Available

Updated without issue. Not trying to rub salt in the wounds of those whose update failed, just pointing out that the majority of people have probably updated without issue. No one complains when things work.
  20. Z

best filter for shooting portraits (babies)

I actually take this one step further and don't even use a lens cap on the shorty forty. It's such an inexpensive lens that any 'resale' value is meaningless, so I don't even care about the front element (within reason of course). It took a little getting used to, but I've found it strangely...