Search results

1. G

Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM

Love the lens. Between the 1.4 aperture, IS, faster AF, and (very importantly) flatter sharpness across the field, It has transformed my portraits with the Canon. The flatter image field is critical to shifting the focus point off center yet still having critically sharp eyes. This was very...
  2. G

Any thing Shot with a 5ds/r

the mountains tripod mounted with 70-300L; the bicycle hand held with 24-70II. All downsized for posting. Great camera - much maligned by many but works for me. The Mountain image is printed 24*36" hanging in an office and looks terrific. Regards, George Pappas
  3. G

85mm f/1.2L II or 85mm f/1.4L IS?

I would suggest that you rent an 85mm 1.2 and a sigma 85mm 1.4 Art as examples of what to expect before making your decision. I have an 85mm 1.2 and love it..both for portraits and landscapes. At 1.2, the separation and rendition is beautiful; you don't need crisp corners. Stopped down, I...
  4. G

Canon EF 85mm f1.2 vs Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Milvus (having the Sigma 85mm f1.4)

Hello, I did own a Sigma 85mm and now own a Canon 85mm 1.2 and did carefully field test an 85mm Milvus before making the decision; I believe that I can help. I think I understand your autofocus vs. manual focus question but am not entirely sure. I will share my perspective on this question...
  5. G

24-70 2.8II very lackluster

Echelon, Like others, very surprised to hear this; I have had a 24-105 for 7 years (started with my original 5D). It has been to canon for regular adjustment, maintenance, etc.. I recently got the 24-70 MkII and the difference is night and day. on my 5DMKIII there is a noticeable improvement...
  6. G

which telephoto for travel?

JD, Your description of need directly points to the 70-300L. It has longer focal length reach, it collapses into a smaller profile for upright packing in a backpack, and it is light/strong/weatherproof. I have had this lens for several years and it is one of my goto lenses for travel...It has...
  7. G

Opinions on Sigma 85/1.4?

I have had it for over a year and highly recommend it. I previously owned a 100m F/2 which is a great lens but I sold after getting acclimated to Sigma's 85. Great image quality, color, contrast, etc. Good solid hand-holdability. Wish it had I/S but that is ok for what it does. Why? The...
  8. G

Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM

Thanks for the comment; the previous two images were taken during August. I have been fortunate to go to Iceland during the winter. Here are a couple of images taken with the 70-300 and my 5D2 at the time. The one of the ocean waves was taken in diagonal, driving, cold rain. It sorely tested...
  9. G

Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM

Here are a couple with the 70-300 and 5D3 in Iceland earlier this year. Tripod-mounted, live view focusing..Very good for critical framing of landscapes at distance….and outstanding travel lens.
  10. G

Lens recommendations for upcoming road trip and beyond?

I can heartily recommend the 70-300L. It is the perfect travel zoom for longer focal lengths. While some have quibbles with its Image quality; my experience does not support this. As with all longer focal lengths, you have to use a tripod, live view/MLU, and carefully focus if you want image...
  11. G

Focusing Screens for better Manual Focus with 5D Mark III

Hi Guys, I can confirm no effects on exposure..it is the same. The screen does sit on top of the transparent LCD panel so there no loss of AF features in anyway. The AF actually happens "below the mirror" through translucent transmission to the AF sensor not up in the pentaprism so the...
  12. G

Focusing Screens for better Manual Focus with 5D Mark III

In general, I have been very pleased with my Canon 5DIII. However, the one weakness that I have finally addressed is the use of a manual focusing screen. I wanted to let folks here know in case this was an issue for them. Scenario: I have several Zeiss Lenses and use Canon tilt-shift lenses...
  13. G

Does it make sense to keep my EF 100mm f2.0?

I own and use both for different reasons...If your "eye" leads you to shoot a lot at that focal length, then keeping both of them can make sense. The extra stop of speed can be a difference-maker depending on the lighting conditions; additionally, I prefer the rendering of the 2.0 for...
  14. G

What would you do if you had $2000, a 5DII and no lenses?

Greetings, Pini.. Because you want to photograph people and their environments, I would focus on two or three prime lenses rather than a zoom. I would start with a 35mm/85mm combination and consider either a 50 or 135 depending on your perspective... I would choose the primes over the zoom...
  15. G

Focusing Advice on a Canon 24mm TS-E

Hello, I have used all of Canon's tilt/shift lenses for several years and am very happy with them. With a live-view DSLR, it is the closest thing to a digital view camera that I have found. A couple of focusing tips: 1) You need VERY little tilt, especially with the 24mm, to get any near/far...
  16. G

DxOMark trashes the Leica M9 sensor

Rienzphotoz, I understand your point. However, this is point is much more about DXO Fans who are "anti-canon" fanboys than it is about DXO itself. Many of the posts on this thread were broadsides at DXO and were misplaced, IMHO. Regards, George
  17. G

DxOMark trashes the Leica M9 sensor

There seems to be a lot of intensity and emotion trashing DXO when their test methods and criteria for results are very transparent and objective. They provide a useful resource as one (and only one) factor in helping photographers navigate the various tradeoffs in deciding what equipment to...
  18. G

24mm ts-e with a polarizer?

I use a Lee filter polarizer/ND combination due to the range of movements that I employ with this excellent lens... The other thing you should look into is the Adobe Flat field plug-in for Lightroom. This plug-in lets you calibrate the raw processing of images taken with shift to...
  19. G

Canon 70-200mm F/4L or Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM or other suggestions?

Heidi, A couple of points to the very fine comments already. Your choice really depends on how you prioritize your use for this lens. A previous poster explained that IS is less important than fast/good autofocus; when it comes to photographing children, I totally agree. If this is important...
  20. G

50mm 1.2 / 85mm 1.2 VS Zeiss 50mm1.4 / Zeiss 85mm 1.4? Which should I buy...

I have both the 50mm 1.2 and the Zeiss 85mm 1.4. I view them as complimentary rather than substitutes for each other; they excel at different things. The 50mmL is a great lens - the shallow DOF is a great asset for certain images. I looked at the Canon 85mmL and thought it was very nice...