Search results

1. P

What’s a “realistic” lens that you’d like to see Canon make?

EF-S 18mm f1.8 USM Please.
  2. P

No crop on 4K coming in next APS-C DSLR [CR1]

I wish I were as bullish. We know the sensor resolution will be 6960X4640, and 6960 is almost exactly 5/3 of DCI 4k. Maybe it's completely coincidental, but that indicates some sort of line skipping or binning scheme to me is at least on the table. Except of course that you'd be skipping 2 of...
  3. P

No crop on 4K coming in next APS-C DSLR [CR1]

Is there any way to bin 25 pixels into 9?
  4. P

Unreleased Canon Cinema EOS camera used for 8K capture at WWDC

I'm confused. The C300 Mk II already has active cooling, and the fans aren't silent. Do you mean that they're using another kind of active cooling on the Mk III different from the fans on the Mk II? Where did you get this information? Also, it's my understanding that sensors don't have inherent...
  5. P

Firmware v1.2.0 seems to have solved a banding issue that was present in the Canon EOS R

Hoping this fix gets ported to the C300 Mk II etc as someone mentioned earlier... I have seen this banding problem show up in "real world" circumstances with Canon's cinema cameras, not just Xyla charts (where it's quite obviously worse than what other manufacturers have). It's been a known...
  6. P

Canon executives say a lot more coming in 2019

In my experience the 15 stop figure is pretty accurate and consistent with most other manufacturer's methodology, but point taken. There are certain cinema companies that (imo) highly overrate DR, and others that imo underrate it (Arri–who apparently internally rate the Mini at 15+ stops...
  7. P

Not only that, DPAF seems to increase the dynamic range on the video sensor very very dramatically. Canon rated the C300 at 12 stops and the C300 Mk II at 15. The original C300 has a more aesthetically pleasing noise texture and less sensor banding, but otherwise that three stop increase seems...
  8. P

My question has more to do with why Canon's video sensors appear to have reached technical parity with Sony's (though I'm sure many will debate this, my experience is the C300 Mk II has more DR than the FS7, though not by much) while their still sensors are lagging. I doubt their cinema cameras...
  9. P

One thing I've never fully understood is this: Canon's still sensors have demonstrably less DR than Sony's* but Sony's video cameras have less dynamic range than Canon's. The C300 Mk II has a bit more dynamic range than the FS7 and maybe a bit more than the EVA1. What's going on? *even if...
  10. P

Have you read Rudolf Arnheim? Depending on your perspective on his writing, there's some perfect synchronicity or some real irony in your post. Or maybe both. I think it's a matter of taste. My favorite cinematography is from the 90s mostly–Richardson and Kaminski, primarily. And their images...
  11. P

Patent: Lots of small, light and fast EF prime lenses

Makes sense, I think I'm selling off my 10-18mm because it's too wide for anything I would use it for, but it's a great lens and would be perfect for real estate, being similar to the 10-22mm. I think in good light (or with a tripod) P+S can be good for landscapes. No need for shallow depth of...
  12. P

Yeah, I think the irony is "pros" want to spend less and "enthusiasts" want to spend more. I did a little work briefly with a super high end pro and he often shot with the 50mm f1.8. :/ Assuming you were shooting landscapes? My dream landscape camera is still an Arca tech camera with a MFDB...
  13. P

Is that wide open or stopped down? I found it pretty soft in the corners wide open (compared with the Sigma I replaced it with–so yes, that is sharper), but found it pretty good around f4. I even compared it with a $50k Angenieux zoom on a video shoot, and that did much better wide open lol, but...
  14. P

That's a good point about EF-S owners and EF-S lenses, but it's also difficult to separate causation from correlation. Is it a lack of EF-S glass that leads Canon users to ignore the EF-S ecosystem or is it a lack of enthusiasm for the ecosystem that results in less glass being manufactured for...
  15. P

Industry News: Blackmagic Design Announces Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K for Just $1295

Totally true, and the reason I'm sticking with Canon, but for most enthusiasts it's worth putting up with a little BS. I think this will be big in the enthusiast market. Black Magic has gotten better in recent years, too.... still not great, though.
  16. P

What's the most resolution I could get from films like Cinestill 50 & Velvia 50?

That's a difficult question. The mtf curve of film is very different than that of digital. With digital on Foveon or monochrome you're getting almost 100% mtf to extinction. With Bayer you can get almost 100% mtf to >70% of extinction. False detail (aliasing) usually makes things look sharper...
  17. P

C-Log Coming to EOS 5D Mark IV Confirmed [CR3]

I agree and I work in vfx. It's weird that I keep reading online about VFX artists wanting 8k or raw because that is the last thing I want and it is not something that resonates with what other artists tell me. It slows the pipline down too much, and 99% of deliverables are 2k or 1080p...
  18. P

This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X9

Re: This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X8 Seems like a good deal! I'm not sure the SL2 will get as cheap very fast. For whatever reason SL1 prices plummeted soon after release, but most dSLRs don't. On another note, vignetting aside, the 55-250mm STM is a very good lens.
  19. P

This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X9

Re: This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X8 Same. I would be in the market for an SL2 except I already have an SL1. I find the OVF and ergonomics to be good. Better than any mirrorless camera I've tried. Certainly better than any mirrorless camera that costs $200 or whatever I paid for the...