Search results

1. G

Your best animal shots!

Sumatran Tigers by Mike Girod, on Flickr Chimpanzee by Mike Girod, on Flickr Chimpanzees by Mike Girod, on Flickr
  2. G

Post your HDR images:

So many great images! Good job everyone. I got Photomatix for Christmas and the HDR quality is so much better than Photoshop's. Here are some images I processed in Photomatix and edited in Photoshop. El Pescador State Beach by M Girod, on Flickr El Pescador State Beach by M Girod, on Flickr
  3. G

Post your HDR images:

My first attempts at HDR... I processed in Photoshop CS5. It is very difficult to make anything that looks "real" with Photoshop's HDR processing. L.A. River by M Girod, on Flickr L.A. River by M Girod, on Flickr
  4. G

Black and White Landscapes!

Thanks those were very helpful tips!
  5. G

I agree. Editing photos in B&W and in color have a totally different feel. I think B&W really makes you look at your photo and decide what you want to be the main focus and create some contrast so your vision is clear. In the first 2 I was so focused on creating a balance between the rocks and...
  6. G

Post your best pictures of fireworks

Here are some small fireworks from the 4th of July. Fireworks by M Girod, on Flickr Fireworks by M Girod, on Flickr Fireworks by M Girod, on Flickr Fireworks by M Girod, on Flickr Fireworks by M Girod, on Flickr
  7. G

I really like both of your first pictures, Kernuak and ions. Great work! Corona Del Mar by M Girod, on Flickr Corona Del Mar by M Girod, on Flickr Leo Carrillo State Beach by M Girod, on Flickr Leo Carrillo State Beach by M Girod, on Flickr Leo Carrillo State Beach by M Girod, on Flickr
  8. G

Prime VS Zooms.

It is up to each individual and what they shoot. My vote could have gone either way. I recently traded my 70-200mm 2.8 non IS for a 135L. I found the 70-200mm to be sharper than the 135L at f/2.8 but at f/4 they were about the same. The 70-200mm was too big to take everywhere and it got heavy...
  9. G

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

Re: Canon EF17-40mm f/4L USM After reading many mediocre reviews I wasn't sure about getting this lens. There aren't many other choices in the same price range so I decided to just get it. I'm somewhat of a pixel peeper and I am happy with this lens. Awesome lens. Especially on full frame...
  10. G

Post Your Best Landscapes

Thank you kubelik and K-amps. I did not have a GND filter for that shot. That was actually the look I was going for. I shot an exposure for the sky and the mountain then one for the shadows and tried to combine them to look as natural as possible. Now that you mention it, I agree that the...
  11. G

Zoo Pics

L.A. Zoo Canon 40D + 70-200 f/2.8L
  12. G

Please share your most vivid photographs of underwater creatures

Here are some underwater creatures that are out of the water :P Canon 40D + 70-200mm f/2.8L Canon 40D + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
  13. G

Post Your Best Landscapes

This is Convict Lake in the Eastern Sierra. It is a combination of 2 exposures shot on a 40D with a Tamron 17-50mm lens.
  14. G

Amateur looking at a Macro, Prime and Walkabout lenses... input please!

The Tamron is $414 new from B&H with the rebate. And yes, unfortunately you would have to sell it when you upgrade to full frame. I recently sold mine for $360 on Amazon and got $318 after all the fees. I still feel it was worth it. Now that I have a full frame, I don't have a general purpose...
  15. G

Lens suggestion for a 1600 budget

I would suggest the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. It is inexpensive (around $400) and VERY sharp. It also has a 2.8 aperture which is awesome. The build quality is not professional like an L lens but it is good enough for the money. On the longer side, I would definitely get one of the Canon 70-200L...
  16. G

Amateur looking at a Macro, Prime and Walkabout lenses... input please!

I would also recommend not getting the Canon 28-135mm. I had one that came with my 40D and it was not sharp at all. Also, 28mm is not very wide at all. Even if you don't shoot wide angle you will be disappointed. I sold my 28-135 and I got the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non IS. It is a very sharp lens...