Search results

1. S

Review: New Canon EOS R firmware

And you need to change the neck strap...
  2. S

You guys are discussing what's already been the reality for *years* with mirrorless sysstems. Look at Fuji if you want a great example. The evolution of the X-T1 is a good one. The autofocus system was horrible (think EOS-M) upon release. By the end, firmware v4, it matched the performance...
  3. S

They come with it. Watch the demo vids from the 90D/m6ii release party at the race track.
  4. S

Sony's 2018 fiscal year (2018FY), which ended March 31, 2019, saw increased sales of 14.6 billion yen for its Imaging Products and Solutions division for a total of 670.5 billion yen. “While two percent might not seem impressive, Nikon’s imaging division reported a 17.9 percent decrease while...
  5. S

Canon announces an upcoming firmware update for the PowerShot G7 X Mark III

Except that several youtube people appear to have turned right around and bought Sony...
  6. S

Pricing for the new PowerShot G series cameras and new RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS have leaked

Zero price discount for the new RP kit? That doesn't even smell right. You get a $200 discount on the existing L kit. It'll be $1,999 within weeks.
  7. S

Patent: Further breakdown of Canon’s upcoming IBIS technology

Honestly you're missing a lot here... The E-M1X can do a 10 second exposure hand-held. That may not be important to you, but it sure is useful to many others, esp. if they don't want to carry a tripod. Combine the 12-100mm Oly + E-M1x and it gives you 7.5 stops, and that's not an...
  8. S

Patent: Canon camera with in-body stabilization and in-lens stabilization working together.

I would strongly dispute that. The video capabilities their DSLRs, their EOS-M line, and now their first two RF mount bodies are absolute garbage compared to the competition. You can find $400 m4/3s bodies that shoot far better video. I miss shooting Canon, but I'm not lugging a 2nd body...
  9. S

Canon officially announces the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM

https://www.captiongenerator.com/1382312/RF-85mm-2700
  10. S

Big Canon EOS R price drop, save up to $500 and still get the EF-RF adapter for free

The turning point was the latest firmware with real time tracking. For Tennis it is crazy good - go with tracking af-c flexible spot small (actually use that for almost all sports), set AF sensitivity 4 or 5 (maybe 3). It's not 100% keeper rate, but I can't see how it could get any better. My...
  11. S

Big Canon EOS R price drop, save up to $500 and still get the EF-RF adapter for free

Real-time autofocus analytics is the bottleneck. Sensor tech is still a critical component, but I don't think that's where Canon will lose. The A9 is already far superior for certain workloads, Tennis for example, where it will never get distracted by the net.
  12. S

Feature update announcements coming to the Canon EOS R and Canon Cinema EOS C200 ahead of NAB

Video is a tiny niche? That doesn't pass the sniff test. Canon is announcing more small video cameras this year (5) than ILC camera bodies. Canon certainly doesn't agree with you based on their statements and quarterly reports. The other vendors are not in agreement with you either. It's...
  13. S

Feature update announcements coming to the Canon EOS R and Canon Cinema EOS C200 ahead of NAB

The footage from the X-T3 is better than the R when you use f-log - I rented them both. It's not even a fair comparison though. Really the $1300 RP vs. the X-T3 is fair, and the RP doesn't even have 4k video. You also appear to minimize the crop factor - that's a big deal - a REALLY BIG DEAL...
  14. S

Frankly I don't see that at all. I suppose they're ramping up their game compared to themselves. Compared to the competition? They're horrifically bad. Just take the most recent examples - the RP vs. X-T3, both costing $1300. Even though the hardware can do it, Canon disabled dp-af in 4k...
  15. S

Canon to announce at least 6 new RF lenses next week

Geez I hope they get their act together and this body has better AF. I'd love to go back to Canon - but that first RF body is half-baked at best. I'm on the cusp of moving to the Fuji system due to the X-T3, but maybe Canon will surprise with this next option.
  16. S

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS Development Continues [CR2]

The Tamron 24-70 VC has been around for years and clocks in just a hair behind the Canon mk2. The real answer it to swap to a system that has IBIS and then this is a non-issue.
  17. S

Poll Added: Here's Why Canon Doesn't Need to Innovate, But it Should

I'm not a pro shooter, but I am an enthusiast with the means to buy whatever gear I want. I sold my Canon gear (several L lenses and a FF 6d) because a) I wanted video capabilities b) IBIS c) smaller form factor d) focus peaking e) hi-res mode f) continuous innovation in the firmware releases...
  18. S

Backordered: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20 Grip, Pixma Pro-100, Paper, SD Card, Battery $2849

Re: Hot Deal: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20 Grip, Pixma Pro-100, Paper, SD Card, Battery $2849 This isn't shocking when you consider how weak the feature set on that body really is. I'd rather shoot a 6Dm1 - better ISO and DR.
  19. S

Canon's Next EOS 5DS Won't See a Big Resolution Bump

SO, I was feeling nostalgic for my old 6D. I haven't looked at Canon much since leaving. I pulled up the specs on the 6Dii and WOW - what is Canon doing? Have they given up on competing with anyone except themselves? I had returned a 5DS back when it released, for a multitude of reasons...
  20. S

Canon EOS 6D Mark II Dynamic Range Talk & Sample Images

Re: Canon EOS 6D Mark II Dynamic Range Talk & Sample Images Actually, if you watch the lensrentals.com of any of the G series lenses, they are on par with Canon these days, ditto for reliability, and the AF on the A9 sits between the 5D and the 1D series. The ergonomics are still inferior...