Search results

1. Marsu42

Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release

I'm really excited about the prospects of the new dehaze feature as I'm shooting backlit subjects a lot and the lens hood is often not long enough to prevent the "low contrast of doom" look. And I've even trained the "extend arm and hold hand/thumb in front of sun" method :-> but this is only...
  2. Marsu42

Sony a6k ft. "world's fastest autofocus" @11fps/24mp & 172 af pts

My hometown is plastered with Sony ads, announcing the a6000 having the "world's fastest af system". That's "world" not in the sense of "the whole US", but the actual globe, btw. Trusty Wikipedia states this is not entirely true though: Nevertheless, the (lack of delay) of mirrorless is...
  3. Marsu42

The mystery of the Canon "Factory Menu"

Some 6d user on the ML forum reports his camera comes complete with a "Factory Menu" I've never seen before, but it takes regular fw updates nevertheless - though reporting another version after installation: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15088.msg146677#msg146677 Has anybody...
  4. Marsu42

Lightroom 6 will be the last non-CC product - true?

I just read some Adobe customer was informed by their support that LR6 and Acrobat DC will be the last versions to feature the "buy" option as in "perpetual license": http://robcole.smfforfree3.com/index.php?topic=43.0 Is this true? I know that for example with PS, Adobe doesn't release any...
  5. Marsu42

POLL: What picstyle sharpness for focus check?

As we all know, even if shooting raw, the thumbnail inside the cr2 used for the preview is based on the picture style. Personally, I'm using "Neutral" which includes a medium-low setting, but am wondering (esp. when shooting with the [email protected]) if I'm not too masochistic about the lack of...
  6. Marsu42

New firmware feature: IS auto-off at high shutter speeds

After being w/o my trusty 70-300L for a week I had to shoot with the 100L for everything ... and realized that the frame stabilization effect isn't really worth turning IS on unless you really want to use slower shutter speeds. On the other hand, using IS for tripod work or with high shutter...
  7. Marsu42

Do you trust cps' repair estimates?

I dropped my 70-300L (new: €1100 w/ 2 year warranty). Optics are fine, just the af ring only moved max. half way to infinity (though it did still move). By now I had a feeling what my local cps (Foto März Berlin / Germany) would say: It's €70 parts and €250 labor - the latter seems to be an...
  8. Marsu42

POLL: The best answer to "nice pix, must be a good camera"...

Do you know this awkward situation?, The most likely group to pose this problem are middle-aged to golden-aged men (but younger culprits are known to exist, too): The main (and probably only) feedback about some really good shots is that it must have been taken with an expensive camera. Then...
  9. Marsu42

Cats are the better photogs

Oh my, the net is about to be flooded with another type of pictures: cat- and dog-cams! Maybe birdcams will be next? I have to admit I always found the idea intriguing and would like to have access to a 24/7 horse-cam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWofshPDFMA...
  10. Marsu42

Sharpening w/o increasing noise on high iso?

Has anyone tried this or has experience with similar blending techniques? Sounds intriguing ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeqQSkTFiYw http://petapixel.com/2015/03/22/a-trick-for-sharpening-high-iso-photos-in-photoshop-without-adding-more-noise/
  11. Marsu42

Advice on indoor pet & owner portaiture plz

Yo all, I recently did some shots of two nice golden age ladies and their black poodles outdoors and then inside and would like to have some feedback on the result. Here's the link to the gallery (yes, I've got a release as it wasn't exactly overpaid). You can get a 2k version with a click on...
  12. Marsu42

POLL: Do you wide-screen frame/crop?

I know I have inquired about this before, but I'm still undecided - sorry for that. So I'm asking the regular two contributors :-p to this subforum for another input, it's about framing again. The problem is that imho you have to have this in mind when shooting, and cannot just casually crop...
  13. Marsu42

How to effectively prune your wildlife shots?

Do you know a situation like the attached screenshot - you've got a screen full of rather (but not quite!) similar wildlife shots, are wondering however you'll be able to select just one? I don't machinegun wildlife with 10+ fps, but I usually take more shots than strictly required esp. with...
  14. Marsu42

Broken flash tube on 600ex - service costs?

After years of high-power hss, my 600ex broke down yesterday. I'm undecided if I should it have repaired or simply use it as a transmitter and get rid of my unreliable Yongnuo clone - depends on the price. I had one flash repaired on warranty some time ago, and they replaced the whole head...
  15. Marsu42

POLL: Will Canon shut down the xxd line in favor of premium Rebels?

The 760d has very good specs, for Canon, that is. The camera body is much smaller than a xxd and most likely the firmware is crippled vs. the 70d - but still, it's a challenge. + AF 19-point cross-type. Center F2.8 corresponding dual cross (take that, 6d!) + RGB-IR photometry sensor. 63 zone...
  16. Marsu42

Advanced bokeh computation?

I was just reading about bokeh on wikipdia, and stumbled upon this sentence which unfortunately isn't qualified further (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh#Emulation): Can someone please explain which these "advanced digital cameras" might be and how the post-processing assembly works...
  17. Marsu42

POLL: So the 5ds is ~$4k ... will you dump your old 5d3 or 1dx?

So the 5ds price is more than the initial 5d3 release, but not that much more. Looking at the current 1dx/1dc price drops, Canon seems to suspect internal competition pressure as the 5ds has a unique qualities which might make it a "flagship" camera. Will you replace your old 1dx/5d3, or even...
  18. Marsu42

POLL: The new 50mm will be...

At last, Canon is rumored to release a 50mm lens - could it be true? Cast your vote here and predict what max. open aperture it'll have and/or what legacy lens it will replace (if any)!
  19. Marsu42

POLL: Is the new 50mp sensor Canon or Sony?

Some shady rumor site outside the only real CR has it that Sony has its evil hands in the creation of our new flagship: http://www.canonwatch.com/cw2cw3-yet-another-rumour-sony-sensors-used-canon-dslrs/ What do you think? Vote here before the Fri 6th announcement and prove you're a Canon expert!
  20. Marsu42

POLL: aa, or not to aa (5ds vs. 5dsr) ?

5Ds and 5Ds-R ... given the choice and let's think both models have the same price tag: Which one would you buy? Background: For years we enthusiasts have been bashing Nikon for their trollish removal of the aa filter on the d800e, conning innocent users out of their money for moiré-ridden...