Search results

1. S

EF-mount Mirrorless design

So I hear a lot about flange distance and how they can’t make the bodies thinner because of it. What if they kept the font to back the same and narrowed the side to side, more like their cinema bodies. They could place a flip display just like they do on camcorders on the side and still have...
  2. S

Yellowstone vacation advice

I'm flying into Yellowstone and trying to pack and wanted advice. I have 4 bodies. I was thinking about bringing 2 bodies. I have a 1DX. Obviously, my favorite to use. I have 1d mark IV, 7d and 5d mark iii. I have cf and sd cards, but my sd cards also work in my camcorders and they are larger...
  3. S

flying with 600f4 or 400f2.8

I was planning a trip to yellowstone national park and curious if anyone had advice on flying with either my 600f4 or 400f2.8. They are expensive to be lost in luggage, but perhaps too large for carry on. And which of the two should I bring. I really am hoping for some bald eagle sightings, but...
  4. S

Seattle vacation

I was hoping to get advice for more specific locations I might get some good bird of prey shots while I vacation in Sept. I plan on bringing my 600mm F4 IS USM, my 5d3, 1d4 and 24-70 for shots of my wife and I. Any other travel advice is appriciated as well. This is the first time travelling...
  5. S

tripod help for EF 600mm f4 IS USM?

So, I tried using B&H website, but obviously it's help is counter productive. This is the items I have ordered. I am trying to return all unnecissary items and items that don't work together. 1) Gitzo GT3531LSV tripod legs 75mm thread (didn't realise it didn't have a head) 2) Wimberly WH-200 --...
  6. S

1Dx vs. 1D mk IV vs. 7d

I pre-ordered a 1Dx and just bought a 2nd hand 1D mk IV and plan on testing them out vs my 7d. Anyone else interested in my results?
  7. S

1D mk IV & 5D mk III or 1DX?

Anyone else weighing this option? (I am upgrading from a 7d) Advantages of 1D IV + 5d Mk III: 10 fps of 1d iv better than 8fps 1.3 crop/FF options and versitility low light ability and focus speed for birding f8 focusing on 1D IV Advantages of 1DX: even lower light ability 12/14fps fastest...
  8. S

hawks and cougars

Just got some shots with a Tamron 200-500 f5-6.3 and a 300 f4 L IS USM. Taken at the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum. Can you tell the lenses apart?
  9. S

Tamron 200-500mm f5-6.3

OK, so I just got this lens this morning. I played with it for a few minutes and already I regret getting it. I previously had a Tamron 200-400mm and Tamron 2x extender, both of which I gave to my Sister for Christmas. I have a 300mm f4 and canon 2x extender. I was happier with the IS on my...
  10. S

firmware updates?

So rumored f8 firmware update for the 1dx led me to ask, ok do how would one update a camera's firmware? I own a 7d, not sure what would improve if I updated.
  11. S

5d mkiii or 1dx? lens help?

I am a 7d owner who loves taking pics of hawks and sunsets on my weekends. I am 35yo and have been trying to self teach myself for about a year and a half. I possibly may want to do some portrait work in the future. I have a couple of L series lenses already (70-200 2.8 is ii usm, 35 1.4, 300f4...
  12. S

Due for a letdown?

With all these dreamy rumored specs floating around on the 5dx (or whatever it's called). Does anyone else get the feeling that with all the build up and hype, that we are all due for a let down in one way or another. Either the specs will not be the wishlist we've created or the price will be...
  13. S

come on, make an affordable 600mm or 800mm!!

For $1-3,000 and I think prosumer and wildlife enthusiasts would be stoked to finally get the reach from a quality brand, without getting divorced for buying it. Even if it was f8ish, had IS, and a USM...sell in droves, no?
  14. S

What features, if any, made you almost choose...?

Before purchasing your canon dslr of choice, what brands' features tempted you to purchase their camera instead? Personally, I was really tempted to get a Pentax for the weather sealing, in-camera stabalization and fps/price. Ultimately, I decided I live in a desert and weather sealing might...
  15. S

Battery grip/weather sealing qyestion

I read somewhere that a Canon 7d isn't weather sealed without a Canon battery grip. Is it ONLY a Canon battery grip that is weather sealed or are there off brands with the weather sealing. I don't really think I need the extra battery power, but it might be worth the money to help protect my...