Search results

1. birdman

Merry Christmas - great lens great price

No longer shoot Canon, but anyway saw Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8 at Roberts Camera for $219 shipped, I believe price is 219 or either 230 tops. Good luck
  2. birdman

need help choosing the right macbook.

Mac adopter all of 2.5 months here. Oh, I still have my beast-mode core i7 custom gaming desktop with SSD and 3.5TBs of storage. My older HP laptop needed moboard so gave me good excuse to finally get MacBook. I lucked out and found open box mid-2012 stock 15" model for $1, 375. It's glossy...
  3. birdman

Bye Canon?

I'm in same boat, and actually went to Nikon for D800's DR and IQ, and for their UWA lenses -- of which I own the 16-35VR. Coming from the 5d2, 17-40L, 35L, and a few others (100mm Macro non-IS) I knew that all those would be covered. But seriously, I've never heard Canon had BETTER lens...
  4. birdman

Crazy... go Nikon?

I switched completely over to Nikon because of shadow noise and both the 16-35VR and 14-24mm. I own the 16-35 but have used the 14-24 several times. 14mm is WIDE, and not needed much. The 16-35 is much, much better than the 17-40L that i formerly owned. You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon...
  5. birdman

I just finished comparing my old 1Ds MkII (mark two!) and the new 5D MkIII

I haven't been on here in a while, and honestly I went to the "other" brand. But I'm still a big fan of Canon. Anyway, I'll say that for one, your test is not very scientific. I would use more lenses and scenarios to compare. If you compare a 5d classic RAW file to a 5d3 RAW at base ISO, it's...
  6. birdman

Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM First Impressions

I had the 35L. simply amazing lens!! If price was near equal, why buy Sigma? I'm not put off by 3rd party glass, a I love Tokina and some Tammys I've owned. I would try to get a used copy for about 700 or so once plenty are in the market....assuming the lens is as good as advertised.
  7. birdman

Is 22Mpx Really Enough?!!!

Not quite sure about that. I know that more MP always enables final product to have higher resolution. The old fallacy about lens outresolving sensors, or vice versa is just plain lame. Ansel Adams used small apertures, and quite frankly I've ALWAYS HEARD that medium/large format lenses are much...
  8. birdman

How do you sell your gear?

Amazon is an excellent choice for dumping gear at higher prices .... but be prepared to be bent over and violated with their commission structure (9%). Fred Miranda is a very liquid market IF you have some feedback. Otherwise, the guys on the forums tend to not trust anyone. i can't blame them...
  9. birdman

How come Canon never responds to anything?

Easy -- it would infuriate the 5d3 adopters. Plain and simple. I wasn't aware the d600 had the same sensor as the d4/d800/d3x. Even at 24Mp, it's well known that the d600 sensor is a newer (and better) sensor than the d3x. Those of you who need all that the 5d2 or 5d3 offers will buy it...
  10. birdman

Why I'm not jumping to Nikon

It was never my intention to tell people to "shut up". I enjoy honest, objective reviews as well. What swayed me towards Canon to begin with?? Well, their prime lens lineup that NIKON did NOT HAVE! Specifically, i bought the 35L and 5d2 ($4,000 investment) as my first FF offering. My first...
  11. birdman

Why I'm not jumping to Nikon

I'm a former 5d2 owner, and these comments/arguments crack me the hell up. I love this site, but there are TOO MANY FOLKS on here compared to NikonRumors. You know why? Canon loyalists are too frustrated fighting amongst themselves. For the record, I own the D800 and have none of the left...
  12. birdman

Big Megapixels Coming Soon? [CR1]

Guys, I own the D800 and am a FORMER OWNER of the 5d2. What the extra MPs has meant for me: 1) Better IQ 2) Better technique required b/c of hand-holding issues 3) Better ability to crop 4) Better DR and really, better high ISO performance (vs. the 5d2) 5) Ridiculously large files 6) Average...
  13. birdman

Canon's Next Full Frame Camera [CR2]

Hey, enough with all the damned name-calling on here. Can't we all get along :P I think the Canon rumored budget FF will be around $2,000 - 2,500. Lotta wiggle room there. The 5d3 can be had for just over $3,000 all over Ebay. Still, I don't feel like it should retail for even $3,000 given...
  14. birdman

5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?

What to do? What to do? Recently sold my 5d2 and waiting on next announcement from Nikon or Canon. Have a D800 set to arrive in the next week. Beautiful DSLR. going with the Nikon 16-35vR or Tokina 16-28 if I keep that camera. I needed high MP like poster who uploaded Castle or whatever that...
  15. birdman

2023: a look into Canon's flagship body

I actually think glass will make leaps and bounds in improvements in 10 years. As tech improves, glass has gotten better anti-reflective, anti-CA, etc. There will actually be zoom lenses with ZERO (less than 0.01%) distortion and extremely high (or mathematically perfect) sharpness wide open...
  16. birdman

Why is the 24-70 MK1 price so high.

Surprising how high that lens has always been. Had two copies at two different times. Overrated. Great contrast and delicious colors, but sharpness not near level of say, 70-200/4 IS
  17. birdman

5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?

Amen, brother. The only "qualm" I have with your analysis is that you may not know exactly how each camera differs (5d3 vs. d800) until you truly have each camera and shoot the same scene side by side. I (was) a 5d2 user until a few days ago. Sold it, and maybe I made a poor decision--because...
  18. birdman

Any actual photographers out there?

I would have to say, NO, I am obviously not a Professional Photographer - - one whom earns revenue off their photography. That is why I like landscape shooting so much....because I don't need any criticisms or critique. I know what looks good, and like any art - - photography is very SUBJECTIVE...
  19. birdman

Examples of DR photos and why this is important to landscape shooters

I am OP (and posted one landscape shot) You hit the nail on the head. I don't own any ND filters, just the 5d2, 17-40L, and some UVs and cir polarizers. I need to invest in some ND grad filters and practice, practice, practice. I agree there are too many chiefs and not enough indians on these...
  20. birdman

What the 40mm Pancake looks like on a 5D3

Damn the 1d4 is a beautiful, sexy machine. I would get it before a 5d3. Thats just me, though