Search results

1. L

5DmkIII AI Servo button

It's awesome that you can assign the preview DOF button a function to change to AI Servo, but even when you perss it the camera remains in One Shot Mode. Is there a convenient way to immediately switch not only to the Servo, but also to a burst shooting mode? Thanks!
  2. L

What should I go for now?

Greetings CR community! I am inclined to update my arsenal, and I'm looking for advice. I'm currently in the process of becoming a journalist, and I'm looking to incorporate my photography hobby into my profession. I currently have 5DmIII and 70-300L, and that's I think is sufficient for now :P...
  3. L

5DMkIII for sports

Did anyone try it using AI-Servo and perhaps burst mode? Is it even possible to do with relative success? Becuase we've been hearing a lot how 1DX is good in this regard, but for a variety of reasons 5d3 is a much more used camera, that's why I'm asking. I currently have 70-300L so I'm planning...
  4. L

Constant AI Servo on 5d3?

Hello everyone, I've been slowly moving toward primes lately (not the "I'm going primes because zooms are mainstream" kind of thing, I just like the shallow DoF and the IQ primes provide more at the moment). The one thing that keeps bothering me is how shallow the DoF really is, and that...
  5. L

70-300L on 5D Mark III

There are plenty of topics discussing the 70-300L, but they are from the pre-5DmkIII era. I've been thinking of getting a nice tele lens to complement my kit 24-105 f/4, and I cannot find a single reason not to choose the 70-300L. It will be a lens that is going to be used during in field action...
  6. L

RAW vs JPEG debate in the light of 5DIII improvements

Well, it seems mkIII's JPEG engine is vastly improved compared to the previous model. That's why I'd like you to share your views and opinions regarding the classic RAW vs JPEG debate. Is it worth shooting RAW in everyday conditions? Is shooting JPEG no longer a crime considering the mkIII's...
  7. L

Deleting files from both cards

I have my 5DIII set to dual card recording - RAWs on CF and JPEGs on SD for periods when I need photos right from the camera. The problem is that sometimes I delete failed shots right after viewing them on the camera's LCD screen, but they are deleted only from one of the cards. Is there an...
  8. L

I feel limited with Lightroom 4.1 Noise Reduction

Sometimes I shoot at 12800 ISO, and I feel that jpegs out of the camera with in-camera medium noise reduction are better than my RAW results with LR 4.1. Is it my fault or LR is not up to the game yet?
  9. L

iPad RAW editing

I'm trying to find an app that works, and they say PhotoRAW downsamples your images. Has anyone had any luck with the new iPad? Its screen and processing powers should allow for "smooth" RAW workflow in my opinion. Thank you.
  10. L

So how are your 5DMKIII high-ISO shots?

Hello happy mkIII owners, I was wondering how does the camera holds up when you're bumping the ISOs higher than 3200. Reviews are quite subjective in this matter, I really want to hear your opinion. Examples are welcome, but phrases like "12.800 is still nice, 25.600 stinks" are welcome as well.
  11. L

Does f/4 work for 5DmkIII in low light?

Hello happy MK III owners, I'll be joining you soon among other happy folk :) I currently have the 24-105L, and I was thinking of buying 70-200 f/4 or f/2.8. However with ISO improvements in the latest 5D, I was windering if it's possible to get away with using f/4 and still getting workable...
  12. L

Is 50mm Sigma that good?

I'm only starting to work with fixed lenses, but it seems I can't get them to work properly. T2i, 1/60, f/1.8, ISO 320 The focus was supposed to be on the centre of the nose, yet the "portrait" still got blurry. Is this an autofocus issue of my specific lens, or that's just the way it is...
  13. L

"Walkaround" prime for FF?

I'm upgrading to the 5dmkIII soon, and I have never used any FF cameras before. I already have the 24-105mm for general walkaround stuff, but I sure do need some prime for more creative shots with shallower DoF and a nice bokeh, not to mention low light situations. Which fixed lens would you...
  14. L

Is 5dmkiii a good investment in the long run?

I've been positively stunned by the great high-ISO performance of the new 5d after reading the review by Jeff Ascough - http://blog.jeffascough.com/photographers/2012/03/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-review.html The price seems a bit high, that's true, but I just want your opinion - I'm switching to FF...
  15. L

Do I need the 580?

First of all I'd like to say that I'm a hobbyist, not a professional photographer, and only recently did I get into flash photography. My current setup is 550D + 24-105L, but I'm getting one of the 5Ds (ii or iii) when the latter is available. I'm mostly shooting general "walkaround" photography...
  16. L

Is 24-105L really f/4.0?

Recently got the lens, loving it atm, however in a lot of user reviews I've seen that its f/4.0 setting is in fact closer to ~f/4.8. Those claims are based on the tests of the f/4.0 setting of this lens and other f/4.0 lenses like 100-400mm. Is it true in your experience?
  17. L

Is it worth waiting for an upgrade to 24-105?

I'm currently using 550D + Sigma 17-70 OS, but I plan to move to a FF body sooner or later (most likely I'll grab 5dmkII when mkIII gets released), and that's why I want to buy 24-105 now and use it on my cropped camera (as far as I know it's pretty good for APS-C cameras), but the lens is 4...
  18. L

Optimal sports and action setup?

Hello everyone, this is my first post at this forum and, sadly, this is a question :) I'm not a pro photographer (but I'm getting there), I'm just a regular guy with a camera who likes to shoot sports, outdoor activities and I'm also involved in a bit of journalism. I currently use 550D and...