Search results

1. C

Are many R3's are getting out the door?

I placed an order last night from the Canon site while the R3 showing in stock -- also showed in stock in my cart. This morning, the status of my order changed to Back Ordered. Either that site doesn't hold what is in the cart, or it was never in stock. It would be a rather dirty trick to...
  2. C

Kickstarter: Peak Design Unveils The Next Generation of Camera Tripods

Agreed. It would be great to have the lightest option available, but $190 for only .63lbs less is a hard sell. That said, I just found myself digging through my pantry to find something of that weight (2 cans of tuna did the trick) and it's more than expected -- would be nice not to have to lug...
  3. C

Kickstarter: Peak Design Unveils The Next Generation of Camera Tripods

It's the "Gear Talk" forum...sounds like gear to me. Clearly it's of interest because people are discussing and some are buying (me included).
  4. C

600EX RT vs AlienBees

I put the 4 speedlights on stands on the second floor in as much of the corners as I could get. All were facing down without modifiers sorting of pointing to the center of the room. I usually either have the zoom set at 50 or sometime 35 degrees. I keep the power at 1/8th or below and usually...
  5. C

Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II vs Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS

The 24-70 f/2.8 II is an exceptional lens from a quality standpoint, blows the 24-105 away. I wasn't happy about the extra expense until I bought and started using the new 24-70 and now wouldn't trade it for anything. The extra stop will allow you to do some very nice subject separation and is...
  6. C

Anybody know how much lens fixed price servicing is running at the moment?

I just got my 24-70 back from CPS yesterday and the standard charge was $269 before the gold-level discount. I only needed a deep cleaning too, because sand had gotten underneath the zoom and focus rings.
  7. C

Incredible Godox Witstro 360 flash (does HSS too!)

I got a couple of these filter packs early on -- they are the exact size needed and fit inside the reflector diffuser that comes with the 360. I now just cut my own from large gels sheets, though.
  8. C

Timelapse rotation

I've looked these up a few times... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/992582-REG/syrp_0030_00011_genie.html http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1046461-REG/cinetics_amc_axis360_motor_controller.html This is a new one I just came across that may or may not be shipping yet...
  9. C

Replacing Canon Flash AF assist cover

I've had CPS just send me parts before. I lost the little rubber cover on the the 5DIII selection joystick and instead of paying the flat service fee, I asked them about ordering the exact part. I ended up having to order the entire back plate of the battery grip to get it, but it was still...
  10. C

Card Failure: Lexar CF 32GB 1000x

In talking with the company that eventually recovered the data, he said they see about equal numbers of Lexar and SanDisk failures. He did mention that SanDisk encrypts the data within the card, which makes recovery more difficult. As a result, I havne't abandoned my Lexar cards. It is...
  11. C

Final Update: The first company I sent the card to spent almost a month trying to find a socket to read the chips on this card. I started calling around and found a different company, LC Technologies, who makes their own sockets and were optimistic about support the Lexar card. The first...
  12. C

Email to Lexar didn't prove to be useful. All they did was say there weren't aware of any problems with this card and offered to replace.
  13. C

I'm not trying to get replacement -- trying to get the data off of the card. I asked about contacting Lexar and apparently these "sockets" are only used in data recovery, not something the manufacturers use. So far the only place that seems to have it is some company in Russia that may not...
  14. C

About 2 weeks ago after a long shoot, my second shooter had a complete failure of a Lexar 32GB 1000x CF Card. The card had completely normal handling and had been used numerous times before without incident. For whatever reason, the controller chip on the card failed, which prevents all access...
  15. C

Bolt Cyclone battery packs

Agree with you on the prices. There is no excuse for these batteries to cost so much. I was talking last night with an engineer friend of mine about designing the perfect external Li-ON battery pack for <$100 and crowd fund it.
  16. C

Bolt Cyclone battery packs

The Bolt Cyclones are great battery packs, but you have several options on where to get them. Two of them are made by Godox (PB960 or PB820) and have been rebranded by Bolt (same as several other companies including Cheetahstand). Here is a very thorough review of the PB960 (same as Bolt DR...
  17. C

1.4 lenses kwestion

If you own a prime lens that doesn't look good until you stop it down to f2.8, then you should get rid of it. All of the newer primes (those with max apertures lower than 2.8) are quite sharp with high IQ below below 2.8. Even if the quality at the widest aperture is lacking, stopping down 1-2...
  18. C

Why do people post photos on the social websites?

It depends on your business model. I actively shoot functions that are attended by my friends or acquaintances and posting on FB gives me the opportunity to literally put my work in front of them on a reguluar basis. It's free advertising and allows me to show the full breadth of my work to an...
  19. C

6d iso compared to the 1dx

The 6D is a little cleaner at high ISO than the 1DX or the 5D3. I have the latter 2 and a colleague has the 6D and I can tell a noticeable difference in the noise apparent with 6D images. The 6D's 6400iso shots look very close to the 1DX at 4000iso.
  20. C

Canon PowerShot G1 X II Final Specifications

Does this mean there is definitely no dual-pixel AF in the GXII?