Search results

1. JoeDavid

Canon Introduces Their First Dual Fisheye Lens for Stereoscopic 3D 180° VR Capture in 8K

I’m wondering if Canon is also talking with Apple. The rumors have Apple investing $$$ in AR and VR tech and have at last 2 products in the pipeline for release next year. If the Apple faithful jump on it in mass that could ramp up the demand for VR content… :unsure:
  2. JoeDavid

Canon registered two new ILC bodies

I finally gave up on canon releasing a high megapixel body and upgraded my Fujifilm GFX 50s to a GFX 100s. If canon ever releases a high megapixel body I’ll still be interested though. I’ve already got the RF lenses to go with it. The 100s is incredible for landscape photography although...
  3. JoeDavid

Canon Hong Kong confirms September 14, 2021 announcement date for the Canon EOS R3

Canon Europe’s email says 14/09/21 at 11:00AM BST.
  4. JoeDavid

The Canon EOS R3 will eliminate “Lag” and “Blackout” for stills shooters

He needs to add the vertical grip for 2x batteries. What bugs me about the grip is the cost. The Canon grip for the R cost $350 USD but includes the USB-C port and the Canon “blessed” USB charger and cable. The R5 grip also lists for $350 but the USB-C port and associated circuitry is already...
  5. JoeDavid

Review: Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

I received this lens from Canon USA as soon as they started filling preorders and have been pretty impressed with its performance. It came with lens firmware v1.1.1. I’ll do a little more testing later but, with a quick test of f2.8-11, I didn’t see a focus shift occur. I was using a lens...
  6. JoeDavid

Canon has released a list of RF lenses that they can’t meet the demand for

Well, Canon USA made good on their July 8th and shipped it to me overnight, morning deliver so I should have received it last Friday. Unfortunately they shipped it FEDEX which used to be a world class shipping company. Over the last few years their service has deteriorated badly. According to...
  7. JoeDavid

I lucked out on the 100-500 a few months ago. I just happened to check Amazon and they were showing out but expecting more in a date that was about 10 days out. I ordered immediately and they shipped one to me on the date they said they would be getting some in. I have to admit I’m not as...
  8. JoeDavid

I received an email from Canon USA this morning saying that my preorder of the RF 100mm macro is scheduled to ship in the next 72 hours but then goes on to say that preorders shipment dates are subject to change. I was looking forward to receiving it but now I’m worried it might get delayed…...
  9. JoeDavid

Yongnuo announces the YN RF 85mm f/1.8R DF DSM

I use the control ring to quickly change between focus modes.
  10. JoeDavid

Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM to be one of the next lenses announced

I guess I’m the only one getting tired of announcements, development announcements, etc…. with no new products actually shipping. I would buy the 100mm RF macro if it was available as my next lens.
  11. JoeDavid

The Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM will be announced this year [CR2]

The optical quality of the non-L RF lenses is quite good. The one thing that really bugs me about Canon non-L lenses is the extra $35-50 they charge you for the lens hood. Probably cost them less than $1…
  12. JoeDavid

A bit of history about Canon and catadioptric (mirror) lenses

Yea, back in film days I had a 500mm f8 Tokina lens that was quite sharp. It was compact enough that no one thought it was a 500mm lens. Once you get over the donut bokeh, one with autofocus would be welcome in my kit. I wish Canon had used a reflex/cat design with the 600 and 800 lenses...
  13. JoeDavid

Are you experiencing this phenomenon with IBIS on your Canon EOS R5?

Originally it was probably 1 out of 10 of shots that should be sharp. What I mean by that is that you wouldn’t notice it in a lot of shots due to DOF. After the last couple of firmware updates it has gone down significantly but it does occasionally still happen. I give Canon a little bit of a...
  14. JoeDavid

Are you experiencing this phenomenon with IBIS on your Canon EOS R5?

I sent my R5 in last year with images supporting that the IBIS sometimes does the “wobble” when taking still images; i.e., the center of the image is sharp but gets progressively blurry as you move toward the edges. Canon USA’s repair facility sent it back to me saying that the IBIS was within...
  15. JoeDavid

Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

SA Control is not ringing a bell with me...
  16. JoeDavid

The Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM begins shipping this week

I received one today as well. I won't get to do too much with it until the weekend but I did take a couple of shots with it on an R5. It looks like it is sharp wide open like the other RF L lenses and the lighter weight is very nice compared to the f2.8 version. If I don't need the extra...
  17. JoeDavid

The reshaping of the Cinema EOS line will continue into 2021, there is a Cinema EOS C90 in the pipeline [CR2]

They should put the guts of an R5 in the form factor of the C70.
  18. JoeDavid

Canon USA officially responds to concerns about shipping delays of the Canon EOS R5

FEDEX delivered mine this afternoon along with a vertical/battery grip but no second battery for the grip. I was told they haven't received any yet (at least the store I ordered from). The grip is as huge as the EOS R grip. It does charge the batteries (i.e., it's got the two charge lights on...
  19. JoeDavid

Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

I was thinking the same thing except it will probably be called the C800... ;)
  20. JoeDavid

Canon says preorders for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 have exceeded expectations

I’m glad I’m on the top of a list and should get one from the first shipment. As to investing in equipment, I see this as the perfect time. Get the camera, get to know it’s features, get it configured, do what photography I can given the current pandemic, and then be ready to get back to...