Search results

1. TAF

Opinion: The USB-C DSLR problem isn’t as bad as you think

Of course not! Torx (those star heads) should be mandatory and the Phillips banned. Hex are for industrial use only... And we should stop changing our clocks twice a year...although there is quite a debate to be had as to whether we should stay on Standard Time or keep to Daylight Savings...
  2. TAF

Canon EOS-M has been quietly discontinued

I bought an original -M when that model was discontinued and they were selling the complete kits for less than the cost of the lens. It\'s a great little camera, and perfect for use on largish drones. I guess I better get a spare battery or two while I still can.
  3. TAF

Is Pixel-Shift coming to the Canon EOS R5?

What an interesting approach. What sort of file(s) would you expect to end up with? All the images saved and you assemble them in post? Or perhaps the camera assembles them and you have the option to save all the pieces or just the final one? Sort of like the HDR approach? I am intrigued...
  4. TAF

Canon box style cinema camera appears in patent again

I've been hoping for years Canon would come out with a 'regular' camera in the Rollei 3003 physical format. Parts bin engineering - all the internals of an R5 (or R3) with the rear screen on the top and the viewfinder on the back (which I personally would never use if the main screen was on the...
  5. TAF

Cosina will announce a NOKTON 50mm F1 Aspherical for the RF mount

With all due respect, yes, it does. I have an R5, and I use it with both a Canon FD 50mm f1.2, and some 100 year old view camera lenses, and the red highlights on the screen showing what is in focus is invaluable for making certain the correct areas are in focus. Is there some other feature...
  6. TAF

Cosina will announce a NOKTON 50mm F1 Aspherical for the RF mount

That is...unfortunate. The scalloped focus ring was, for me, a very valuable feature, as it differentiated that ring from the f-stop ring. Tactile feedback is, for me, very important with things I must adjust while looking in a different direction. Oh well. Saved me $2K.
  7. TAF

Patent: Canon is actively developing fast mirror lenses

I'm curious. How do you deal with atmospheric turbulence, haze, and defraction? I do OK in winter, but the rest of the year the air is too 'cruddy' to get a decent image. I am presently experimenting with the RF 600mm/f11, as a replacement for the 500mm/f6.3 mirror tele (a cheap Opteka) I was...
  8. TAF

A second camera will be announced with the EOS R50 in Q1 2023

Hummm; an homage to the earlier Canonet 7 or (gasp) the early Leica? I'm waiting for the R3003, which would have the form factor of the Rollei R3003 but with the internals of the R3. The C series is getting close... Which would be a great project for a team of interns learning the camera...
  9. TAF

Canon is gearing up to finally release a high megapixel camera with 100+ megapixels [CR3]

When? When we exceed the resolution of the available lenses. Until then, bring it on. Of course, I would expect Canon to provide appropriate lenses to go with it. So hopefully, they won't ever run off the end, and will be able to keep taking our money. I want what I'll call the R5LL, using...
  10. TAF

Advice on external battery for R5

Thank you all for the replies. I had not realized that I could power the camera via the USB-C connection. That makes things simple. I was going to order the overpriced one from Canon, but they aren't even in stock.
  11. TAF

Advice on external battery for R5

Folks; I am in need of an external battery adapter for my R5 - the 'fake' battery that goes in and allows you to externally power the camera - and was hoping the collective wisdom here would suggest a make/model/vendor. Thank you very much for any recommendations. TAF
  12. TAF

Does a 5Ds do anything better than an R5?

I've had my R5 for about a year now, and think it is superb. Find yourself a decent camera store and try an R5 out. Specifically, hold it and make certain it feels right in your hands. Assuming it does, and you can afford it, buy yourself the R5, and sell the 5Ds and use the money for EF-R...
  13. TAF

A rare Canon FD 24mm f/1.4 S.S.C. Aspherical hits the next Wetzlar Camera Auction with a starting bid of €6,000

But before you sell, you owe it to the CR community to get an adapter for your R6 and shoot something nice with each one. Then the same thing with you RF lens(es). So we can all compare. Who knows, maybe you’ll discover that we should all go back to FD lenses and your collection will be worth...
  14. TAF

A rare Canon FD 24mm f/1.4 S.S.C. Aspherical hits the next Wetzlar Camera Auction with a starting bid of €6,000

I’d actually like to see a side by side comparison of the two. And that is the nice thing about lenses; they don’t lose value when you use them.
  15. TAF

Canon EOS R6 Mark II already in prototype testing [CR1]

Why might Canon be ‘rushing’ out an R6M2? Perhaps there are components that are no longer available required for the R6 design, so they‘ve redesigned the internals using more readily available parts. Expect more of that sort of thing in the coming years in many sectors of the electronics industry.
  16. TAF

New Canon EOS R3 orders may be delayed for more than 6 months

My kind of neighborhood.
  17. TAF

New Canon EOS R3 orders may be delayed for more than 6 months

That is an interesting observation. I sold my 5D3 and got an R5, and I am not seeing the pop of the 5D3 in the JPEG's from the R5. I just assumed it was my still having to adjust setting until I get them to match what I had before. Perhaps it is something about Canon's mirrorless models that...
  18. TAF

Canon’s roadmap includes 32 new lenses by 2026 according to Canon’s CEO

No, you were correct the first time. So if they deliver 33 lenses they beat expectations, and the stock goes up.
  19. TAF

Canon Patents Ludicrous Zooms

I'd be happy with a 24-150 f3.5 IS L. Although one of those 28-infinity lenses looks pretty interesting as well. Depending on whether I can lift it.