Search results

1. jaell

Deal: Save 30% on the new Nik Collection 3 by DXO

Nik is great software. The Silver Efex alone is worth it (I paid $150 for the standalone Silver Efex back before Google bought Nik), and Color Efex is pretty good, and the HDREfex has some decent HDR utility. I have used the Sharpener a little, and the Denoising barely at all. Viveza is a tool...
  2. jaell

Dual monitors with different resolution for Photoshop?

My suggestion is to NOT have a 4K monitor and a HD monitor on the same PC. Windows is AWFUL at managing settings between monitors with such differing resolutions. There are known glitches (that will not be fixed) in Windows 7 and 10 where if you have monitors with such different resolutions...
  3. jaell

Bad DxO experience

Yes, and when a company comes out with a new version without letting potential buyers know, and then prices the new version at 2/3 of the old version, that's when I would expect a company to do right by their customers. I don't have to grin at all--hence, this post. DxO's response was that they...
  4. jaell

Poll: What Processing Software do you use primarily? And...why?

DPP. I switched when my version of Photoshop/ACR wouldn't support newer camera models. DPP is slower than ACR, and the interface leaves a lot to be desired, but I feel it's flexible and powerful and does a pretty good job. I've tried other RAW converters and there's just too steep a learning...
  5. jaell

Bad DxO experience

I've been a long-time user of Nik plug-ins (and Topaz, and Imagenomic), and I finally built a new PC and installed Windows 10... which meant upgrading to PS CC, which meant having to buy/install the new Nik plug-ins by DxO. Given that I had paid hundreds of bucks for the Nik plug-ins before...
  6. jaell

Free trial of the new DXO Nik Collection 3

I'm going to post a new thread, but my experience with DxO regarding the Nik Collection has been awful. I have been using Nik since 2009--before it was purchased by Google--and when I finally upgraded my PC and OS and Photoshop, I had to buy the Collection. $150 was the price, which was what I...
  7. jaell

buying choice: 5DS vs. RP

And specifically, it's $1179.99 for a grey-market 5Ds on eBay from a very reputable seller (last time I looked, it was $1279, so the price has come down), and from time to time eBay runs a 15% discount (I got my 135 f/2 L and an 1.4x III extender from Adorama via eBay on 15% discounts) that caps...
  8. jaell

Oh yeah, have all my lenses (EF mount; listed in my sig). So if I got the RP, I'd have to get the adapter (adding to cost, so there isn't as much of a price advantage) to use my EF lenses. And yeah, I know the bodies are a lot different. Hence, why I'm asking. I know it's an apples-to-oranges...
  9. jaell

So the 5DS is better for AF of moving subjects? Over the past few years, I've found that AF performance is very important to me, so if there's an advantage one way or the other, that is probably going to seal the deal.
  10. jaell

OK, without going into details (ugly divorce issues), I've lost access to my 5DMkIV and my IR-converted 6D until late summer of 2020. I primarily shoot landscapes (esp. HDR), travel, portraits (mostly of my kids), and occasionally mess around with macro shots of flowers and butterflies. Since I...
  11. jaell

Watching Wimbledon and saw this....

Guy has pink tape in the same position on the camera hanging down from his neck, too. Maybe it's a way to quickly tell his equipment from someone else's, as everyone in the row there is running similar rigs from Canon. Gotta remember, security is pretty tight there. Everyone's going through...
  12. jaell

Issue Discovered With The EOS 5D Mark IV, Firmware Fix Coming

Yup, after updating to the latest version of EOS Utility (I was on 3.7, and 3.8 came out in February) and having the problem again, I just noticed the box to the left of the time zone, and wondered what it was for. DST right there. User error.
  13. jaell

Yep, latest version of the utility, OS is updated weekly. I used the GPS on a shoot this weekend, and set it to update the time, as well. When I plugged in to transfer images to the PC, the window popped up that the time on my camera was wrong, and I went through the process again. Right...
  14. jaell

HDR: Do you process RAW images first before combining?

I know you addressed this to someone else, but I can answer. Good HDR software, when you load your images, knows which ones are under/over exposed (and/or you can input EV for images in your 'stack'), and it detects the blown highlights from your base image, as well as your underexposed areas...
  15. jaell

I have no idea about LR's HDR capabilities. I don't use LR. I'm weird. Photomatix has a bit of a steep learning curve, but is very flexible and you can do quite a bit with it. I tried another HDR program 9 yers ago--I think it was EasyHDR--and it didn't have all the options that Photomatix did...
  16. jaell

The message appears on my computer monitor. I pick up the camera and sure enough, the time is wrong--despite me having changed it multiple times now (to the correct time). The camera time settings don't account for DST, so I'm wondering if the computer tells the camera that it's not set for DST...
  17. jaell

Israel

Sunset will be in front of you, putting the Temple Mount in silhouette, from a Mount of Olives vantage point. And it won't be a good silhouette, to be frank. After sunset, absolutely do the Mount of Olives. I was always surprised how I was the only photog there; it's the best place to photograph...
  18. jaell

Photomatix recommends processing RAW to TIFF before loading images (as a first step, before aligning, deghosting, etc.). That recommendation is based on the pre-processing to remove any/all artifacts from your individual images--because those artifacts will compound as you're pushing saturation...
  19. jaell

Israel

Go to the Mount of Olives (east of the Temple Mount). Climb the hill, take a taxi, whatever. You'll be above a big cemetery. That's the classic (and best) place to set up your shots of the Temple Mount, Dome of the Rock, Al Aqsa mosque, etc. Don't bother with that vantage after 10 am or so--the...
  20. jaell

Oddly, my Mark IV won't save the time change. Every time I plug it in to download photos, I get a message that my computer and my camera's times are off, and sure enough, the time reverted back to EST instead of EDT. Set it forward an hour, hit OK, go about my business... and the next time I...