Search results

1. 3kramd5

Off Brand: Sony Announces the A9

<em>Groundbreaking Full-frame Mirrorless Camera Delivers Unmatched Speed, Versatility and Usability</em></p> <ul> <li><em>World’s First<span class="green"><sup>1</sup></span> full-frame stacked CMOS sensor, 24.2 MP<span class="green"><sup>2 </sup></span>resolution</em></li> <li><em>Blackout-Free...
  2. 3kramd5

Weird A7R II Banding

From the first ISO 6400 raw out there: Looks maybe like the effect of an adjacent hot component? Seems fairly simple to NR is out (processed by a sonyalpharumors user in Capture One), but it gets waxy. Disclaimer: this is likely from a pre-production camera. Full res jpeg here.
  3. 3kramd5

A7RII Field Test

http://briansmith.com/field-test-sony-a7rii/ Only mention of non-native lenses: In my brief tests with Canon EF glass using Metabones, FotodioX and Viltrox Smart Adapters, AF is considerably faster than previous a7-series cameras. Not only is Continuous AF-C tracking possible with the lenses I...
  4. 3kramd5

Sensitivity (or other) gains from BSI?

What kind of differences can one legitimately expect from a BSI sensor? Is circuitry generally large enough that having it on the front makes a significant impact on light-gathering capabilities? Are we prohibited from discussing the A7R2? My previous thread was deleted, but perhaps because...
  5. 3kramd5

Sigma and Tamron OS/VC quirks

I now own two third party stabilized lenses, the sigma 70-200 2.8 EX (there are a lot of letters and I always forget them) and the tamron 150-600. I've noticed a quirk they both exhibit that none of my canon IS lenses do: when the stabilizer engages, the frame tilts down what visually feels like...
  6. 3kramd5

possible to backup camera settings (non 1D)?

Does anyone know if it's possible to back up personal settings for non 1D-series cameras?
  7. 3kramd5

dual pixel tech going forward

On the 70D, canon has two photo-diodes per pixel almost across the entire sensor. The fact that they can get useable phase information from them suggests that they can read them independently. So, could they change the bayer filter out and double resolution rather than get sensor level phase...
  8. 3kramd5

Understanding Video Autofocus

I rarely shoot video, but was messing around with it today (5D3). I noticed that, if I try to autofocus in video (and probably live view stills too, but I haven't verified), it gets significantly brighter while achieving focus, even if I'm already shooting wide open. What causes that to happen...
  9. 3kramd5

5D mk II AF problem

I think one of my sensors is bad/broken, specifically the lower left. Every other sensor grabs focus pretty quickly in good light. Almost exclusively, the lower left will go to infinity and back before stopping, sometimes in focus, sometimes not. This is a recent thing; I've used the sensor in...
  10. 3kramd5

Calculating Dynamic Range

Rather than hijack any of the existing threads on DR, I thought I'd start a new one. I'm still struggling a little with the concept by which a few people (LetTheRightLensIn and maybe a couple others) are computing Dynamic Range. Maybe my understanding of DR itself is faulty. Is not DR the...
  11. 3kramd5

1Dx / 5D3 AF system limitations, a (perhaps stupid) question

So, per the DP review description, "The 5D Mark III loses out to the Nikon D4 and D800 when it comes to use with slower lenses or long lens/teleconverter combinations, in that its cross-type points can only be used with lenses that are F4 or brighter (and the double-crosses with F2.8 and...