Search results

1. westr70

New EOS 7D Mark II Firmware Available Tomorrow

Thanks for the help Don. I appreciate it.
  2. westr70

New EOS 7D Mark II Firmware Available Tomorrow

Hmm... when I download it, the size is 28.7 MB (30.182.064 bytes) but the canon site says it should be 30.35 MB. I have windows 7 64 bit. I've downloaded it three times and no change. Any suggestions?
  3. westr70

Spartans, What is your profession?

I'm an archaeologist working in the western United States. Vice President and with the company 34 years. Archaeologists don't retire. When you die, they label your skull and put you on a shelf.
  4. westr70

EOS 5D Mark III Replacement Talk [CR2]

+1 Same here.
  5. westr70

Talk about your ef 300mm f/2.8

This is a very timely thread since I'm in the market for VI or II. I'd be using it for wildlife shots with 1.4 or 2. I like the versatility of it. I'm leaning towards the VI since there's almost a $2000 difference in prices and if I dropped the sucker, I don't think I'd feel good for quite a...
  6. westr70

Extender EF 2X III Help

It's pretty snug Dylan. Once its locked in, it doesn't move. The contacts look clean too.
  7. westr70

Extender EF 2X III Help

I bought 2 X Mark III extender on ebay to use with a 300mm f2.8 II (which I haven't bought yet) and tried it out on my 5dMarkIII and 7dMarkII with my 70-200mm f2.8 lens. No autofocus at any aperture. I checked the autofocus on the lens and it was on. Did I make a mistake in my assumptions...
  8. westr70

Share 3x your own advice to yourself!

1. see what is in the background 2. buy the best glass the first time 3. when you "zoom" with your feet watch where you are going.
  9. westr70

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

+1 Excellent work.
  10. westr70

7d mk2 seems very soft?

I just checked his flicker page too and they are impressive. Great moose shots too. You should teach or at least have your own website. Nice work.
  11. westr70

7d mk2 seems very soft?

westr70, can you tell me which version of DPP came with the camera? Thanks Sue It is 3.14.40.0. Hope that helps.
  12. westr70

7d mk2 seems very soft?

Nice. So I am guessing that there was no difference between Live View and normal AF as you shoot through the viewfinder. I don't typically use liveview since I'm generally doing BIF. So far the images are great. Thanks for your help.
  13. westr70

7d mk2 seems very soft?

Okay, I have resolved my DPP issue. I had been using the most recent version 4.0.1.0 and that didn't seem to work. I installed the one I got with the camera and that worked just fine. The resulting test pictures (raw) out of the camera were great once they were converted to TIFF and then to...
  14. westr70

7d mk2 seems very soft?

This is an example of a in camera jpg. The feather detail is simply not there.
  15. westr70

Video Editing Work Flow?

So got to Lynda.com sign up ... then sign up to Adobe CC .. and get going learning with Adobe certified instructors. +1 to an external mic ... +1 I agree, IMO its the best way to go.
  16. westr70

7d mk2 seems very soft?

I don't have the 7Dii but with my 7D and 5Diii I've noticed that the default sharpness settings are lower than I would normally use. I suggest you shoot some RAW files and use DPP to convert to jpg. If it still looks soft, check your MFA. Unfortunately, I can't open the raw files in DPP...
  17. westr70

7d mk2 seems very soft?

So far I'm not happy with my shots. They all seem soft. I have been messing with my settings though and not having LR is a major drawback. I've never had jpgs out of a camera so I'm not sure if in camera settings are doing something or what with the jpgs. Detail is missing from bird...
  18. westr70

46MP body rumor is hoax?

Okay, that was worth reading. ;D I just want to know where "off planet" is?