Search results

1. Gcon

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II To Feature CFast & CF Slots [CR3]

CFast is faster than CF, but you're incorrect when it comes to XQD. CFast is based on the legacy SATA 3.0 protocol. It is nominally 6Gbps but wastes 20% of it's bandwidth with the inefficient 8b/10b encoding scheme. Thus, the maximum transfer rate is only 4.8 Gbit/s (600 MB/s). XQD on the...
  2. Gcon

Canon EOS 5D Series Celebrates 10 Year Anniversary

I've hired the Mark I, and have owned the Mark II and Mark III. Since the Sony A7R came out I have only been using my MarkIII in situations where autofocus counts. When the A7RII comes out, if the A/F is sufficiently good with my 24-70 and 70-200 L-glass, then I'll be selling my 5DIII and...
  3. Gcon

Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Press Release

Re: Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Press Release "accurate colours and wide dynamic range." How accurate, and just how wide are we talking? 12 stops? 14 stops? 15? A man can dream :) Can't wait to see what DxO Labs think of this! Echoing previous posters - yes it would be very handy to have spot...
  4. Gcon

Bingo! New Canon 5Ds has 50.6 MP new rumored specs

My best guess is that there is some sort of collaboration between Sony and Canon to get economies of scale and share the same 50MP sensor. http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-trusted-source-i-am-99-sure-the-new-a7rii-is-coming-with-50mp-sensor/ This will put Canon back in the high MP and high DR...
  5. Gcon

Introducing the Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II

Re: Introducing the Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II Nice! I think I'll offload my 70-300L. I suspect there's going to be a lot of those coming up on the second hand market!
  6. Gcon

First Image of the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II Lens

I think the correct phrase is "Shut up and take my money!!" (adding as many exclamations as you like)
  7. Gcon

DPR Adds Studio Samples for EOS 7D Mark II

It would be nice if the reviewer actually hit focus from time to time. Sheesh. :o
  8. Gcon

What Else is Coming for Photokina? [CR2]

I want my 135mm f/2L with added IS. Make sure it stays black for maximum stealth mode shooting street candids. Can put on a 1.4x or 2x if there's enough light for a bit more reach. I wish the extenders were black.
  9. Gcon

A Few EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]

I applaud making it a mini 1Dx. If you don't want an integrated grip and want a mode dial then there's no reason to bitch and moan - just get a 70D and be done with it. The integrated grip and 1Dx style mode buttons will do wonders for weather sealing. When I got my 5D3 soaked in rain, I had a...
  10. Gcon

EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.1 Available for Download

Can I attach Canon 1.4x III and 2.0x III extenders to my Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II USM at the same time and still get AF at 560mm f/8, or is this crazy talk? Also I do a lot of Live View focusing for my landscape work, and always have the focus mode in the contrast detect "Live" mode (not...
  11. Gcon

New DSLR at the End of March [CR2]

I don't care for metal bodies. I care more for metal lenses. For bodies - I don't plan to own them for more than 5 years. Even the cheapest of plastic will hold up under those conditions. I do care for an improved sensor. I hate the 18MP cropped sensor of the current Canon crop. It has to go. I...
  12. Gcon

Patent: Canon EF 14 f/2.8 with Fluorite

If Kryptonite comes from the planet Krypton, Does that mean fluorite come from the planet Fluoron? This is important stuff to me - being the superhero that I am...
  13. Gcon

Canon Center Pinch Lens Caps Now Shipping

Are these thicker and heavier than the old caps? If so I won't bother for most of my lens except for perhaps ones that are a bit of a pain with the hood on - I'm thinking the 100mm f/2.8 IS macro USM, and perhaps my 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM and 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM. My wide angle and...
  14. Gcon

2013 Predictions for Canon EOS Products

There would have to be the option to turn this off, because some days I would want to shoot something other than boobs...
  15. Gcon

Review - Canon EF 40 f/2.8 STM

Totally agree. That's one of the weakest "reviews" I've ever read. I have this lens and I don't find the colours as punchy as L glass. I am reaching for the vibrancy a fair bit more. Also it has horrible bokeh. Really not nice. Still it is wonderfully sharp and wonderfully light and...
  16. Gcon

Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II is a Peerless Performer

I am purchasing the 24-70 II in about 2 weeks and will be taking it on a 1-week hike in mountains where it will be my only lens. I'll know it intimately by the end of that. I'll pano with Really Right Stuff on a lightweight tripod and ballhead to get more width than 24mm, when the need arises...
  17. Gcon

Canon Announces The PowerShot N

Every time a marketer uses the term "unleashed" or "unleashes", a cute puppy dies somewhere. Those heartless bastards!
  18. Gcon

Soon to be Launched EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x

Time to flip a coin. Left kidney is heads, right kidney is tails. ;D
  19. Gcon

The new Canon 24-70 f2.8 ii - A review with images from a reportage photographer

GC version (sans images): http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0r-Ov7hfVA0J:www.markcareyphotography.com/2012/jo-and-karim-canon-ef-24-70mm-f2-8-ii-usm-l-review/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au Hope the site and/or mirror gets back up soon.
  20. Gcon

Canon France Teases New Products

She's definitely thinking of Ron Jeremy