Search results

1. H

Patent: Sigma 12mm f/2.8 optical formula

I would love a 12mm f/2.8 prime lens, except I have the feeling that lenses, especially wide-angle lenses, for the current EF mount will go obsolete more quickly than usual in favor of lenses for the RF mount. The RF mount, with its 20mm flange focal distance, versus 44mm for the EF mount...
  2. H

Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III coming ahead of Photokina [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy, If I sell my 400mm II lens right now, how long will I have to wait before being able to purchase and have the new version in hand? I've already sent one of my current 400mm II lenses in for free Platinum cleaning and checking, and even paid them $248 extra to do do everything...
  3. H

Time for a playful topic! What's in your two lens bag?

Thanks, this is an awesome topic. Too many photographers limit themselves with too many lenses and zooms. Two classic primes, chosen to be right for the job, are very freeing. It really depends on the job completely, but for many, many jobs, I find these to be the best: 35mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4...
  4. H

NAS storage advice

I've tried plenty of fancy solutions from A-Z from open source to Synology and have had very bad experiences failures and rebuilds etc. Finally out of desperation I just tried a DAS rather than a NAS and used software RAID, plus backed up everything to individual separate drives, and also do a...
  5. H

Storage options - RAID?

This is untrue. In fact, RAID 5 uses one parity bit, so if more than one drive fails, you're toast. And when that one drive does fail, experienced sysadmins know that RAID 5 rebuilds are extremely dangerous. An amazingly high number of times another drive fails during the intense and slow...
  6. H

Storage options - RAID?

For years I've been struggling to find and not finding a good solution. I think I may have finally found it earlier this year: https://www.datoptic.com/ I now use their Thunderbolt 2 8-bay RAID towers with my Mac Pro. Notes: * I use only enterprise HGST He10 hard drives (10 TB now, and...
  7. H

An EF 135mm Image Stabilized Lens Coming Next Year? [CR1]

Please, Canon, yes. My most recent national honor (NCAA Photo of the Week) was taken with the Sigma 135mm ART. I’d rather have taken it with the Canon 135mm f/1.8L IS.
  8. H

Sports shooters: single or expanded AF points?

I use four point expansion mostly. I try to develop a feel for what works best in each unique situation. Occasionally I'll use 9 point or just about every other mode. My advice is never do only one thing. Experiment and that's how you gain experience.
  9. H

Canon EF 135mm f/2L II On the Way? [CR1]

Absolutely agreed. When I switch from my 400mm f/2.8 II back to this, I notice a huge difference in AF speed. The 135mm is very fast but incredibly slow compared to what it could be with the latest technology. AF speed is everything when using the 135mm for action which is one of its biggest...
  10. H

Canon EF 135mm f/2L II On the Way? [CR1]

Canon, if you're reading this, this is my most-used lens according to my film archives and digital EXIF data, over 495K images across three copies of the lens. Other lenses come and go, but I always depend on the 135mm f/2. I would greatly appreciate it if you would update this lens with...
  11. H

San Disk CFast Card Corruption on 1DX II

The camera froze for me, turned it off, then it very quickly dumped all the images to the CFast card, counting down from about 50 to 0 in about one second. Later the same day, it froze again. This time, turning it off did nothing. I had to take the battery out. Then the camera seemed to work...
  12. H

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II To Be 22mp [CR3]

I think the 22 MP choice Canon made is perfect. Every bit of the extra resolution provided will be extremely useful in better accomplishing our photographic objectives. And within the constraints of current technology, the amount of possible added benefit from resolution beyond 22 MP would be...
  13. H

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Coming in April 2016 [CR3]

Awesome! This made me laugh. No, I definitely don't carry that many cameras around my neck. Sideline sports is correct, etc. Usually one body beside me with a 300 or 400 (or in my lap if there's not enough room or too much going on), one I'm shooting with, and one (or more) synchronized and...
  14. H

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Coming in April 2016 [CR3]

I am so happy with Canon's decision to set the price at $5999 rather than $6,799. Canon, I want you to know that the $800 difference will benefit you. Speaking for myself, I plan to purchase two this April, but would have purchased only one if the price were $6,799. If the price drops by...
  15. H

And We Wait for the Sleeping Giant...

Wow, thank you! World-class first post!! Update: still think that two shutter buttons would be even better, though! But still a tremendous tip!
  16. H

135mm f/1.4 full-frame lens coming from third party

No. The depth of field of a 135mm f/1.4 is more than twice as shallow than 85mm f/1.2, assuming other factors are constant. For example, at a randomly chosen distance (about 10 feet): 85mm f/1.2 = 2.22 inches 135mm f/1.4 = 1.03 inches In optics you can use the lens equation to show that depth...
  17. H

And We Wait for the Sleeping Giant...

"Small" but killer features that I would like to see: 1. Ability to sync every body not only with each other as you can do now, but also within 1/1000th of a second of the official atomic clock. 2. Two shutter buttons. The second one could be programmed separately. Think of how useful, in fact...
  18. H

Canon EF 135mm f/2L Replacement [CR1]

Canon, please, this is exactly what I need. 1.8, no IS, pure unrivaled optical and autofocus performance. I just lost one of my 135mm f/2s at the NCAA tournament. Coincidence or a sign?
  19. H

1dx ; have you replaced the shutter?

Yes, I did replace it this past spring prior to selling my oldest 1DX body when it had reached my normal 3-year lifecycle (purchased from the first batch in late spring 2012). Note that I sent it in for annual maintenance and never had a failure although I was beyond 350K actuations. The...