Search results

1. H

Idea--Looking at autofocus from a new perspective

Problem statement: Autofocus systems currently provide the ability to focus on the nearest subject among all active autofocus points. And although this limitation doesn't apply after autofocus tracking is initiated, this limitation does apply during the initial focus acquisition. Among...
  2. H

What lenses do you actually use most?

I ran some statistics on my photo database to see which lenses I actually use the most, and I was rather surprised at the results. I did not expect to see that I used the 135mm f/2L so much, or that I use the 24-70 zooms so little. The data are from the most recent six-year subset of my 21-year...
  3. H

Canon 5D3 vs. Nikon D600

I just received my Nikon D600 yesterday. I was expecting tremendous performance from another soon-to-be legendary Nikon/Sony sensor. Well... I was quite disappointed. With both cameras at ISO 12,800 and 1/1,600 exposure, with identical lenses (Sigma 85mm f/1.4 for Nikon and for Canon at f/2.8...
  4. H

Canon 1D X Raw Files -- Amazing

This image was an experiment I did back in July to see just how far the 1D X files could be pushed. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=335e18a4c22a5621&id=335E18A4C22A5621%21166 The photo was underexposed by at least 5 stops on a cloudy day and then pushed to the absolute maximum (+10.0 exposure)...
  5. H

One Example ISO 12,800 Photo from Production 1DX

There's nothing special about this image, but it has a good combination of rather dark shadow and much brighter highlights. My 1D X arrived on Monday, but just before sunset tonight was the first time I could take it out for a spin. http://dropoff.us/private/1342061837-1-AJ9P0620.JPG The photo...
  6. H

Canon 1D X Arrived from Crutchfield

Anyone else receive one from someplace besides B&H or Adorama? Mine just arrived from Crutchfield today to my delight. Unfortunately, I won't be able to enjoy it for a while as I am out of town. Delivered On: Monday, 07/09/2012 at 1:50 P.M. Shipped/Billed On:07/03/2012 Type:Package Weight:8.40...
  7. H

Brightening/Correcting Underexposed Images

Canon community: I would like your help with some mathematical/imaging research that I am doing. I am the developer for an unreleased algorithm for correcting underexposure from any type of image. I developed it on the side about nine years ago, when I was in the initial stages of some image...