Search results

1. T

Curious Distraction: Explain your username, avatar picture, etc...

Lots of interesting stories, hence mine would pale in comparison from the first word. But I'll give it a shot anyway. I chose Telephonic because Tele + holic would sound just horrible. But I love my 200mm, cause it gives space between me and the photographed subject (plus, I suck at wider end)...
  2. T

Correction and History Lesson About Built-in Teleconverters in Canon Lenses

Maybe you meant the first ZOOM lens to employ tele converter... Anyway, thanks for the reminder about the TC in the rare FD 1200. Knew I heard it before, but my memory cheats me from time to time. ::)
  3. T

Lens filter question for 24-105 and 17-40 lenses

This is because the sky will be polarised in an uneven way. Most apparent in ultra-wides. About UV filter on digital cameras, I believe it's not a necessity.
  4. T

Canon EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x TC Information

Allow me to fantasize this beast PLUS 1.4X on 1DX. ::)
  5. T

macro filters

Yeah, I love the water droplets, too! Have you considered using "extension tube" or things like that? I heard that for wider lens, it's better to use the tube rather than the filters (as it doesn't introduce more air-glass interface)
  6. T

Canon 200mm 2.8 l ii: what's the deal

You say why, I'll chime in on similar note as many others. The smaller 200 is not a zoom, it's not white (aka. not cool), and probably not many user of the lens you mentioned realise the benefit of AF speed gained by upgrading to f/2.8. I own this lens for almost 2 years, and this is "my...
  7. T

Dandelion DOF

was it windy? It's normal to have "in focus" plane shift if you refocus, especially if you change settings.
  8. T

*UPDATE* Canon EF 135 f/1.8L IS

Re: Canon EF 135 f/1.8L IS Not really. 200/2.8 II has it (1.5 - 3.5 m and 3.5 m - infinity IIRC). Let's say you're using one of the great whites to cover a football, sorry, soccer match. You are positioned on one side of the pitch, the action is on the other side of it. Imagine your lens...
  9. T

Canon EOS M & EF 800 f/5.6L IS

Ha! An answer to a continuous prayer! Now to find anyone with THE 1200mm... ::)
  10. T

Canon EOS M System Announced

Anyone slapped this thing onto the rear of EF 1200/5.6L? Or at least EF 800/5.6L, if 1200 is too difficult. ;D
  11. T

Patent - EF 135 f/2.8 & 180 f/3.5 with Apodization Filter

You mentioned it is going to be f/2.8, so I suppose it should replace 135/2.8 SF, not THE 135/2 L. And could this be an implementation of electrochromism?
  12. T

F1 Silverstone - advice with the 5D MkIII AF

Hi, you don't mind if I climb aboard, do you?I'm planning to go for a race, too! It will be the late September's Singapore GP (night race). I'd like to know if F1/FIA/Organizer put limitation on which lens you can carry in. I heard that the focal length is limited to 200mm (from our local...
  13. T

Where is the Lens EF40mm F2.8 STM made in?

Have you checked your iPhone? I own no iPhone and am not really interested in purchasing one, TBH. Oh, but I have a friend who has one, and just inspected the phone. Guess what? It's a 3Gs and has "Designed in California Assembled in China" proudly written on the rear cover (not hidden beneath...
  14. T

What the 40mm Pancake looks like on a 5D3

30 cm/300 mm is from focal plane. Let's crunch some numbers: EF Flange-back distance: 44 mm Lens length : 27 mm Total : 71 mm Take 71 mm from 300 mm and you have 229 mm/~23 cm (approx.) from the end of the lens. Not too close to 10 cm, but who brings ruler on a photo...
  15. T

Touch Screen in Future Full-Frames?

I see some questions have to be addressed in this matter. Pro bodies, when used by pros, must must be capable to take some abuse on rough conditions (eg. snow, desert, war zones, etc). I personally think touch screen could be too much a hassle in such situations. Button operated functions can...
  16. T

Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Full Specifications

As many others, the departure from mirror to prism caught my eyes in the first place. I'm impressed with the layout of the buttons just beside the articulated LCD, it looks quite ergonomic. But from the front, I can't see clearly where the DoF preview button is. Any ideas? And the top view...
  17. T

Nikon owns Canon - in TV commercials

Strange, here we saw Canon TVC more than The Dark Side's. Specifically the "EOS for the master craftsman" starring Tyler Stableford & Sandy Puc ("Canon Explorer of the Light" or whatever). Probably it has something to do with Tyler Stableford's visit last Saturday, though.
  18. T

Shooting people with a 16-35... Any good ?

Better stay away from ultra wides for portrait works. Overlarge nose, etc is not a rare case with such lenses. If you want to include the background, give some good distance of your lady and the scenery. The background might be a little bit blurred, but if you have a beautiful lady to look at...
  19. T

Does anyone use the lens hood on their 35/1.4L? Or any other lens?

Why not? I mean it sure increases your coolness to lvl 99. 8) On the serious note, I use the hood on 200mm/2.8. It's a telephoto lens which, I suppose, is less prone to flare so I use it mostly for physical protection. Back then, I used my Pop's old Sigma 28-200 with and without the provided...
  20. T

Canon Announces EOS 60Da for Astrophotography

Caught us by surprise, I believe. The way you missed this, Craig... I won't visit CR again. [100% lie, of course] ;D