Search results

1. B

Are these tripods worth buying? or wasting my $$

I wonder what the lightest tripod that includes a bowl (of any size) for leveling is. I guess you can add a leveler to one like shown above.
  2. B

Upgrade to 5D mark III or keep my 5D mkII and get a 70D as backup body for video

The 70D is crop. The 5D is full frame. Different looks and aesthetics. It should be driven more by the look you are going for, and what additional costs in lenses you are looking at, if any, to get the focal lengths and speeds you need.
  3. B

The ultimate video recorder | 2500 USD Price range

Sigh. There is no "best" overall - you have to tailor it to the kind of shooting you do. It sounds like right now, you don't know, so buying the best will be of no benefit - most PAID video work has little to do with absolute best IQ. I have a documentary production studio and do well into 6...
  4. B

14mm mk2 or 16-35 mk2?

Why don't you pick up the samyang/rokinon 14mm 2.8 which is only a few hundred $$ and try that one out. I think the optics in it are generally considered to be similar to the canon in IQ.
  5. B

Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS : Seller's remorse?

I have found as a video shooter that the 24-105 is just a perfect B roll lens. Light, great at wide, great at 105, has IS, allows fairly shallow DOF at long end wide open, but too shallow. It's just a workhorse - I might shoot 100-150 clips in a day on a project for B roll and it works well...
  6. B

"General purpose" lens advice

I just bought a 24-105 recently and it's been transformational for me shooting video - it's just a very versatile lens that has great IQ. Shooting handheld, the IS and the slower aperture are both good features. My work falls under 2 categories - shooting interviews (which I usually shoot at...
  7. B

What fits in a CRJ-700 overhead bin?

I recently flew on one (april) and easily fit my Pelican 1510 sideways. I was very surprised.
  8. B

Recommended Video cards for use with Adobe Premier...?

I've used both quadro and GTX cards for premiere cs 5.5 and 6, currently have a GTX 660. I didn't notice anybody asking Cayenne what he plans to do - what sort of editing. There's a huge misconception about what the CUDA acceleration actually does. It only affects very specific functions...
  9. B

70-200 Choices

You are forgetting the brand new Tamron 2.8 vc which is exactly at your budget MSRP ($1500). It supposedly is as sharp or even a bit sharper than the canon vII.
  10. B

Genus 77mm ND Fader Circular Filter: Adequate for a serious amateur?

You know, I have some no-name fader that I think is a copy of the LCW one (though not sure) and it works just fine. Done $150,000 worth of video work through it and never had a client or editor say "hmm, seems your fader ND is not up to snuff."
  11. B

5D Mark III & RAW Video, A Case Study

Re: 5D Mark III & RAW Video, A Case Study Remember in looking at all these raw samples that much of it is entirely the decisions that the person who took it made in color correction in post - 90% of which I've found to be questionable. Usually they are either garish colors or not correcting...
  12. B

How to not get beat up when photographing public places?

The ONLY problems I've ever had, shooting documentaries all over the world and the country were in Louisiana - did 3 projects there. Buncha crazy paranoids, I tell ya! Maybe NO is different than the rest of the state (our crew mostly had run ins with police around Baton Rouge and then further...
  13. B

Will Third Party Firmware Void Your Canon Warranty?

Recall that the entirety of the 1dx/1dc legal threats come from a single report here on canon rumors that CR was "told by someone" at canon that they would "bring the full weight" Canon's legal team if somebody tried to modify the 1 series. Not exactly a definitive response. In this case it's...
  14. B

Rakuten 20% cash back-Memorial day

Ugh. It's the former buy.com. It's a huge site in Japan. It's perfectly legit and one of the more reliable retailers in the world.
  15. B

How to not get beat up when photographing public places?

Weird - I shoot video constantly on streets and public places, and include people all the time. I'm not inconspicuous - I've got a huge video tripod with a fluid head on it. Nobody, other than drunks and crazy people has ever said a word in all the years I've been working. Occasionally people...
  16. B

17-40mm advice please!

I recently went through this and ultimately decided on the Tokina 16-28. Time will tell if it's a good choice. But it was the same price (or actually a bit cheaper) than the 17-40 which I just couldn't bring myself to buy. My almost sole focus is video though, so it's in that context.
  17. B

6D not usable for shooting video?

It's funny, I'm editing a piece right now that is a mix of 5DII and III footage, and the aliasing and moire are *shocking* everytime I pull up a 5DII shot in comparison. One of the shooters on the piece commented that the 5dIII 720p looks about exactly the same as the 5DII 1080p in terms of...
  18. B

How did they make this vid?

I barely read this forum much. Why would I post a follow up?
  19. B

How to start the video recording remote on 5D M3?

You understand that the camera doesn't have autofocus while recording, right? A simple way to remotely start/stop is to reassign the shutter release to start stop video (you can do this in the menu) then use a timelapse remote or other shutter trigger to start stop.
  20. B

The tax monster is coming soon. What are you planning on doing with your refund?

If he is in a very high tax bracket, then it could indeed be a lot more than 2%. But if he's making that much he's probably not a pro photographer/videographer and is a hobbyist.