Search results

1. rpt

Do we not have an Astro photography forum?

I could have sworn that we had a forum where people would post Astro photos. I don't seem to be able to find one. Can someone tell me where they are posted? Thanks in advance.
  2. rpt

Green cast in photos taken on a Canan R5 at high ISO

Hi, I have noticed that when shooting at high ISO, 51.2K or 32K, there is a green cast that shows up on the image and other colors don't show up as much. I find it hard to reduce it. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to reduce the amount of green in the photo. So far, I have simply made...
  3. rpt

Has anyone tried the IBIS High resolution shot feature in the firmware version 1.8.1 for the R5?

So, I downloaded the latest firmware for the R5 and installed it. I took a few test shots for this feature and found that if the subject moves, then it does not work. I was shooting plants in my garden and there was a slight breeze. So, I waited for the breeze to die down and took the shot...
  4. rpt

What Power bank do you use if you want to do long shoots so you do not need to swap batteries outside the studio

Hi, I have been away for a long time and eventually got myself a R5 in 2020 - just before the pandemic struck India. Now that winter is setting and hopefully the skies will be clear, I will join a group interested in astrophotography. As you know, these sites have no power, so the option is...
  5. rpt

Has anyone purchased a R5 in India?

Hi, Looking to get input from those of you who have purchased the Canon R5 in India. Would appreciate if you could give me the following information: City where you bought it Dealer name Price Did you get a lens? If so which one and what was the price? What cards did you get and at what price...
  6. rpt

Need your advice on moving on from 5D3 to R5

Hi, so I am seriously considering purchasing the R5. I want a "larger than 20MP" camera. I have the 5D3 and the 7D2. I have used both for a while and now I think I need to upgrade. I had briefly considered the R6 but decided to go with the R5. I am going to be selling off my 7D2 with it's kit...
  7. rpt

Does anyone use Affinity Photo instead of Lightroom and Photoshop

Yesterday I was on this Photopils Milky Way Photography Post Processing Masterclass with Nick Page on YouTube and a number of folks mentioned in the comments that they moved to Affinity Photo from Lightroom/Photoshop and are happy. Does anyone use this? I had a look at their web page...
  8. rpt

Need help re-sequencing images shot from two cameras

Hi, I just received pictures shot at my daughter's wedding. There were two still photographers. Now what I have is two sets of photos in a single folder both have pictures from the start to the end of the event. The file numbers start and end such that when you sequence them by name, they are...
  9. rpt

An Asian Koel drops in on a watering hole - The story...

Not a joke - he really did. The story-line is in the file names.
  10. rpt

What monitor do you use? BenQ BL2420PT anyone?

Hi, I am looking to purchase a monitor for photo editing. I have a HP ENVY TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC that I bought about 2+ years back. I have been editing pictures on the laptop screen but I feel restricted by the 1366 x 768 resolution. My hardware vendor suggested the BenQ BL2420PT which is a...
  11. rpt

Jet (the black cat)

So we have a jet black cat in our neighborhood. Sunday morning he made his presence felt on the wall. The babblers immediately raised the alarm. So I stalked Jed Jet. Here are some pictures. The captions are the names of the images. Hope you like them.
  12. rpt

Happy new year! Calendars for 2016

All, Here are a few calendars for 2016. Calendar 2016_01a1 - BW by Rustom Taraporevala, on Flickr Calendar 2016_01a1 by Rustom Taraporevala, on Flickr Calendar 2016_01b by Rustom Taraporevala, on Flickr Calendar 2016_01 by Rustom Taraporevala, on Flickr
  13. rpt

The Kirkstone Pass Inn, in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK

This place is not a city nor town. It does have a road so I guess "street" is the closest word I could find to catalogue this topic. :) Last week we went to The Kirkstone Pass Inn. It is in the Lake District, UK. It is a lovely place. Look up http://www.kirkstonepassinn.com/. It has lovely...
  14. rpt

How best to post-process CR2 files of white flowers

Hi all, I have tried hard (as hard as I could...) but post processing of white flowers is really hard for me. There is a flower (the flower lasts just one night so in a few hours it will be "was"...) that is very beautiful. It is the Epiphyllum oxypetallum (Brahmakamal) an Orchid Cactus. I have...
  15. rpt

How do I improve this picture?

So I shot this picture yesterday. The moon comes up from behind a Jamun tree (Syzygium cumini; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syzygium_cumini) and there is a place where it is visible from my veranda. I shot it hand held with the 7D2, 100-400L @400, 1/160, f/5.6, ISO 6400. I thought it would...
  16. rpt

CR2s not showing up as thumbnails on my Win 8.1 laptop

Hi! So I got the 7D2 and thought that the raw file being CR2, would show up because my CR2 from the 5D3 shows the thumbnail - and double-clicking the 5D3 file displays it. Apparently the software gods at Canon thought otherwise... Trust me, I Googled and downloaded three installers from...
  17. rpt

7D II owners, did you need to AFMA your camera?

Hi! Well, yesterday I succumbed to my CAS and got me the 7D II. The pictures I took today seem to be a bit OOF. I think I need to AFMA it. Unfortunately, FoCal has not yet released the version for the 7D II so I guess I will have to do it the good old way for now. Did you guys have to AFMA? I...
  18. rpt

{PROBLEM SOLVED. Bought the 7D II} Should I buy the 7D II or the Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM (

So here is the deal. I am looking for advise to see if my choice makes sense to you folks. I must admit that I have been coveting the 7D II even before the 5D III rumours came out. However, GAS is what it is and so I look for advise from folks who have the 7D II or the Sigma 150-600 (S) or both...
  19. rpt

Photos from Upper Newport Bay Nature Preserve

Yes, I have not been posting pictures for a while. Well, I was is Costa Mesa, California for 4 weeks and discovered in the third week that the Upper Newport Bay Nature Preserve was just 15 minutes walking distance from my hotel. Luckily, I had taken my 5D3 with the kit lens, my 100-400 and the...
  20. rpt

So the 70-200 f2.8 IS-II zooms only to 180mm?

Yup, that is the question. Both, the EXIF of pictures taken at 200mm on the lens and later on doing AFMA, FoCal also recorded the 200mm setting on the lens to be 180mm. So what is the deal? Is it a 70-180mm lens? Or if I were to do the arithmetic on the 70mm side, it ends up being a 63-180mm...