Search results

1. Jack Douglas

Pronghorns, deer, bison and other ungulates in the wild...

In my backyard a month or so back.
  2. Jack Douglas

Show your Bird Portraits

Thanks guys. I'm in a deep hole trying to take care of many things and just haven't been able to prioritize photography, which annoys me considerably! I can't even remember where I left off posting but winter is coming so acreage life will slow down.
  3. Jack Douglas

Is it finally happening? Canon RF 50mm f/1.4 USM [CR1]

Thanks. I discovered the switch was accidentally slid to manual. Duh!
  4. Jack Douglas

Show your Bird Portraits

Haven't had much time for shooting and less for processing but I thought these two shots might get a laugh. I had no idea coots were so aggressive. And those feet are more like weapons! Not ideal lighting but it's the best I could do. Jack
  5. Jack Douglas

Is it finally happening? Canon RF 50mm f/1.4 USM [CR1]

Off topic for this thread but I didn't want to start another - I discovered today that with my R5 and EF 11-24, there are no focus points showing at all!?? You have the lens so I thought this a quick and easy place to ask. Jack
  6. Jack Douglas

Let’s talk Canon EOS R1, the flagship of flagships?

For me it needs to be a big improvement on AF compared to the R5. I liked the size of my 1D4. I'm consistently annoyed by the R5 AF struggling in various situations where my 1DX2 did not but animal recognition has been a godsend so I'm not really complaining. Jack
  7. Jack Douglas

Canon RF 200-500mm f/4L IS USM confirmed, likely in Q4 [CR3]

Thanks very much. I'm so busy since I'm still pretty functional which is great except it doesn't leave much time for chasing birds. I've had too many irons in the fire! :) You got that right and thanks! I can't say I'm pleased but I can still laugh and for now I can still shoot but I've got...
  8. Jack Douglas

"...I upgrade regularly, but the quality of my images has not improved..." Come on Alan, you surely don't believe that, I don't. :)
  9. Jack Douglas

Well, Alan, you and some others may have wondered. I'm now burdened by serious health issues but hopeful and what can be more stimulating than the prospect of better gear! :)
  10. Jack Douglas

It's a given for all of us that better equipment improves the technical quality (assuming it's properly used) of the photo, just not the composition. What better gear did for me was give me a renewed desire to try harder to sometimes reach the level of the great photographers since I could no...
  11. Jack Douglas

Technically not great but still a great thrill. Late evening with poor light.
  12. Jack Douglas

And don't forget pure luck that eventually comes from dogged persistence and patience; waiting not chasing. :) That's a rush as well.
  13. Jack Douglas

The results of the newer post processing software with AI are impressive. Sharpness and noise are being handled a lot better than a few years ago. Jack
  14. Jack Douglas

R7 Discussion

I think you'll like that format although it's a little bit awkward with the right hand finger depending on hand size.
  15. Jack Douglas

R7 Discussion

My mistake - ISO on the EF to R adapter.
  16. Jack Douglas

R7 Discussion

Perhaps I shouldn't reply because this isn't an answer but I have found that full manual with ISO on the lens, which I can reach with a finger of my right hand works great. I don't use exposure compensation, rather I just tweak the exposure with my finger. I'm using an adapted EF lens. I'm no...
  17. Jack Douglas

More features coming to Canon EOS R5 in future firmware [CR2]

It's not just this forum, it's everywhere. Some people need to be exposed to what life was truly like in the past and consider how good we have it overall.
  18. Jack Douglas

Video is challenging - how to get started

I just watched that video and it looks very helpful... for when I'm starting to get a grip. For now these types of videos tend to be too fast paced - I'm slow! Jack
  19. Jack Douglas

I've been distracted by some potentially very bad health results. I'll know more in due course but for now this particular interest of mine is probably going to get delayed or terminated. We think we're gliding down the highway when we're really slip-sliding away. :unsure:
  20. Jack Douglas

Thanks, I will be watching it shortly, for sure.