Search results

1. Jack Douglas

Video is challenging - how to get started

I suspect CR is filled with video experts and perhaps that makes it hard to understand my dilemma. I'm finding it very hard to wrap my head around the myriad of basic concepts in video. I know how to use my R5 to capture simple clips but I'd really like to learn how to edit and every thing...
  2. Jack Douglas

R5 Grip extension

I find the R5 because of my long thumb to be very uncomfortable with my little finger grasping at nothing below the grip. This is a bigger problem with long lenses. I've just noticed this and wonder if anyone has bought it or knows of better or similar alternatives. I don't want the battery...
  3. Jack Douglas

Help with 8mm video copying

I have finally dug out my old Sony 8mm camcorder and a bunch of tapes of Peru and Machu Pichu done in 1988. They haven't been played in 30 years and seem to be decent for the time and my two youngest are in the footage as well as other family so now I'd really like to get them in digital form...
  4. Jack Douglas

ON1 NoNoise AI 2021

The stand alone noise reduction from ON1 is $62.59 CAD with a discount right now (I entered NIKONRUMORS) and I'm tempted to buy it but would like some feedback in case anyone can compare it to other offerings. They are making great claims but the reviews are presently few and not that...
  5. Jack Douglas

MY new R5 - both cards format but camera recognizes only card 2

Late to the party and a little overwhelmed by the R5. My 1DX2 had a button to select which card and the R5 menus seem to not even mention card selection but I found it using the Q button. I have formatted both of my new cards apparently successfully but Card 2 (Sandisk 64GB SDXC -I) is the...
  6. Jack Douglas

The Canon Ambush

This has come up on occasion rather vaguely but I thought it would be fun to reflect/analyze what we are seeing as Canon presses forward with their camera and lens development. Canon has been bashed and ridiculed sometimes relentlessly by the armchair quarterbacks and the reviewers - one in...
  7. Jack Douglas

Help please: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X for video editing

Looking for feedback on a new computer build. I was getting by for photo editing but now wish to get into video. I'd like something that will be acceptable for editing the 4K60 from my 1DX2. For now at least I'll be using Vegas Movie Studio 16. My budget is self imposed at around the $1500...
  8. Jack Douglas

Help - Canon DPP Issue - cannot access file - sometimes.

Please, any ideas since this is driving me nuts. I use DPP for minimal editing and like it a lot. Newest version DPP 4 , Windows 10. Very randomly as far as I can tell, when I've edited a RAW file and close DPP of course I get, OK to save edited image. When I click yes, or yes to all, if...
  9. Jack Douglas

Gif vs slow motion 4K60 video from the 1DX2.

Perhaps a dumb question since I am new to video. I have acquired about 2 seconds of the beautiful Resplendent Quetzal flying to the nest in 4K60 while in Costa Rica. The frames are impressive but high ISO and slightly soft focus such that to be marginally acceptable as a movie clip they...
  10. Jack Douglas

When can we expect the ND Filter Adapter for EF 11-24 use, etc. ?

I'm tempted to buy the R but will not unless I can have the adapter before mid March. Has anyone any inside knowledge on what's up with that item? Jack
  11. Jack Douglas

The Zhiyun Crane 2 motorized gimbal capabilitywith Canon cameras

As a few of you know I made the purchase of the Crane 2. It arrived yesterday and since I had to clean the 1DX2 extension foot I accidentally burned I was delayed getting it into operation. Not a good idea to be learning new gear into the wee hours of the night but that's what I was doing -...
  12. Jack Douglas

Linked Shooting mode ST-E3-RT Advice

Since my 1DX2 doesn't have remote unless I fork out big dollars I am wondering if this is a viable option - mount the 600 flash on the camera and use the ST-E3-RT as a remote trigger. I guess the obvious downside is that it's just shutter release. I can purchase a trigger that is useful to me...
  13. Jack Douglas

How important are the caveats relative to new camera specs?

I'm the guy with lots of questions and a few observations but very little expertise! Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt, is always in the back of my mind. I've followed the 6D2 banter until recently "unselecting" the threads, and all the emphasis on DR...
  14. Jack Douglas

Help Pls! My 1DX2 AF-ON, *, buttons will no longer program

I was experimenting with various AF settings late at night and in the morning needed to take a quick shot out my window at a bird. I couldn't remember how I'd set things and inadvertently pressed some button combinations and the camera completely locked up. Off-On did nothing so I pulled the...
  15. Jack Douglas

ON1 Photo Raw new software offer

https://www.on1.com/products/photo-raw/ OK, I just watched all the short clips and it appears to me that ON1 Photo Raw is complete as a stand alone. Because I've been holding off on PS, mainly because I've been super busy and not shooting a lot and DPP has served me adequately, I'm now...
  16. Jack Douglas

1DX Mark II - getting the most out of the camera, tips and tricks

I hope I'm not alone in this request but having just received my 1DX II and run through the menu I feel quite overwhelmed and in need of some guidance. I've been primarily a 6D shooter for 3 years with just a brief 1D II and then 1D4 exposure; these were purchased to allow me to see if I could...
  17. Jack Douglas

1DX Mark II purchase in Japan - where??

Help please. Has anyone in the not too distant past made a camera purchase in Japan? My daughter will be in Tokyo in roughly 3 weeks for a 2 week holiday and is agreeable to bringing home the Mark II if the deal is right since she'd get to use it for 4K video (she's DSLR competent). This...
  18. Jack Douglas

Help pls. 600EX-Rt RT with Manual master & Manual slave

As I understand this, the only way I can avoid pre-flash that is scaring the dickens out of my little birds before they are captured, I need to use manual, M. I've previously tried to shut off pre-flash without success and believe it's necessary for ETTL to function, so I don't want to use...
  19. Jack Douglas

How to frame a good bird/animal shot

Hi All, Two years into this renewed hobby and I'm still learning and needing to learn many things. It seems I have been too focused on maximizing the subject and framing or cropping to closely (I suspect this comes from CR's focus on "sharpness in detail" influencing me) and also I've been...
  20. Jack Douglas

EOS utility for remote shooting - anyone getting good at it.

Perhaps this only pertains 6D and 70D users but I'd like to see some discussion on using EOS remote. There is considerable potential especially for shooting birds or animals that don't like a human nearby. From my digging the documentation seems minimal and I'm learning by trial and error...