Search results

1. E

Updated Canon 2016 Roadmap

I thought I read some rumors maybe a year or so ago on this site that a replacement for the "Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS" was somewhere in the not-so-distant future. Did I remember correctly, and is it still on the roadmap for, say 2017?
  2. E

No 600EX-RT discounts this holiday?

I bought a 600EX-RT when it was on sale last year and have been wanting to add another unit or two. BTW for the B&H bundle, were the 2 600EX-RT's and the ST-E3-RT in their own individual retail boxes with paperwork, or did B&H take all the units out and put them into one custom package?
  3. E

I'm aware of the refurbished deals, I've been tracking CanonPriceWatch like a hawk. :) I'm interested in new units.
  4. E

The 600EX-RT was at $449 last December at major retailers like B&H. At one point Adorama even had it at $425. This year, however, I was a little disappointed to see that it has remained at $499 at all the authorized dealers. Should we not expect any price drops on this unit at all for the...
  5. E

Flash Zoom - Difference in Stops?

OK, I get it thanks, so you're just plugging in F = GN/d. So with GN = 28 and d = 10m, then F = 28/10 = 2.8. Cool. It's not immediately clear in the manual's GN chart though that "flash coverage" actually equates to "flash zoom". Can we actually assume that the flash zoom head is set to the...
  6. E

OK, so you're taking the log base 2 of both sides of that formula to solve for F. But can you tell me where that formula comes from? All I know is the GN = f * d formula and the Inverse Square Law formula (Intensity = 1 / distance^2). Would like to know how you derived it.
  7. E

I'm a little unfamiliar with the "GNXXm" nomenclature when it comes to guide numbers. On p. 115 of the 600EX-RT's manual, I'm seeing, for 1/1 manual flash power: 24mm: "28/91.9" 70mm: "50/164" 200mm: "60/196.9" I'm going to guess that means 28m (91.9 ft.), 50m (164 ft.), and 60m (196.9 ft.)...
  8. E

Using a 600EX-RT here. Does anybody know the difference in stops at the center of the light circle created by the flash for: 1) 24mm flash zoom vs 70mm flash zoom? 2) 70mm flash zoom vs 200mm flash zoom? I've always assumed it was just a 1 stop difference for both (1) and (2), but I can't be...
  9. E

Canon 5D Mark III - Button for Exposure Compensation?

Any idea how many seconds the metering timeout is in viewfinder mode on the 5D3 if i tap and let go of the half-press shutter or AF back button? Is it 2 sec like the 1D-X?
  10. E

I'm reading the 5D3 manual. It seems to suggest the Metering Timer (default 16 sec.) setting only applies to Live View and video shooting modes (p. 208, 244)?
  11. E

Thanks! I do remember trying to turn the rear dial and seeing no effect. I just tried turning the dial while in the process of metering (AF back button held down) and now I see the EC changing. Cool!
  12. E

I have a question about the 5D3: When I'm shooting in Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority, is there a way to dial in Exposure Compensation without taking my eyes off the viewfinder? The reason I ask is because I can't find a button for EC anywhere on the camera (all I see is a button for...
  13. E

Gel Systems: Honl vs Rogue? (and is 600EX's gel holder viable?)

I don't know if you are aware, but Rogue doesn't just make circular gels for its grid system. They also make gels that fit traditional speedlights. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818019-REG/ExpoImaging_ROGUEGELS_U_Universal_Lighting_Filter_Kit.html My original post was asking for a...
  14. E

Small container for holding spigots/studs?

Cool, I'll check them out.
  15. E

If I were adamant about wanting to buy that particular Home Depot product, that's what I'd do. I figured there must be better options though.
  16. E

Yes, it shows 30+ available in my store too. The item for that SKU has been replaced by another item from another vendor, even though the SKU hasn't changed. The actual item in the store is not the one in the picture built by Everbilt, but instead one built by Viewtainer (which has the slit)...
  17. E

Good idea, I'll look into that option.
  18. E

I'm looking for recommendations for small storage containers to hold the spare spigots/studs/screws that I use for light stands. The container should be small so that it takes up little space in my camera bag. I actually want something like this...
  19. E

Cold Shoe for 600EX-RT?

In the B&H reviews, someone said that their Nikon speedlight's locking pin fits in the hole at the top. I know that the Canon speedlite pins are sometimes in a slightly different position....do you know if the 600EX-RT's locking pin can also drop into that hole?
  20. E

Cold Shoe for 600EX-RT?

I'm looking at their summary of cold shoe products at http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.I/id.28/.f Which shoe do you use, the "FA-QRCS2"? The description says: "The updated design of this accessory now accepts the Canon 580EXII flash unit with room for the weather boot." How well does it...