Search results

1. J

DPReviewTV: What is diffraction in photography?

Armchair scientists like him REALLY gloss over the math behind the optical effect of diffraction. First off, the math is truly awful. You need to dig into complex math concepts Fourier Transforms before you even begin to understand the hows and whys of why this occurs. In the simplest of...
  2. J

What’s a “realistic” lens that you’d like to see Canon make?

Use a 300mm f/2.8 with a 2x III
  3. J

Gear of Yesteryear: DPReviewTV reviews the Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L USM

Fluorite is grow in a laboratory, and has few concerns. They got rid of all their lead formula glass which included a lot of the high index stuff you need for certain elements. It was easier to design a new one at f/2.0
  4. J

The Minimum Focus Distance is 2.5m or 8.2 feet
  5. J

When Canon stopped repairing them, companies dumped all their spare parts and I picked up a PAIR of NOS focus motors. AFAIK, these motors can be used in the 200mm f/1.8, the original 300mm f/2.8 and 600mmf/4 and the 1200mm f/5.6.
  6. J

The lens is mostly solid metal or glass inside.
  7. J

A budget EOS R body is coming in the first half of 2021 [CR2]

Won't hold my breath. The 6D was supposed to be their FF dSLR but was disappointing in many ways. The 6D Mk2 was supposed to be better but it was a hobbled by its single card, so so number of pixels and lack of 4K video, and its auto focus cluster was basically dropped in from one of their...
  8. J

Well, this sucks... Camera and Lens snapped at the mount

Which is why I use a hard shell DJI drone backpack, rather than a softer backpack or a camera bag now. Worked great on my trip to mountain bike in Bend/Sister/Lepine Oregon
  9. J

Home for the 6D Mark II Debate

I used the 40D for 2 1/2 years, got a 2nd hand 7D and used that for 5 years now. The 6D Mk II has been in my possession for 1 1/2 years now, through some vacations etc. The good and the bad are mostly along the following lines: The new features like touch and articulated screens, FF, Blue...
  10. J

RF mount cinema camera is in the works, but it won’t arrive any time soon. [CR1]

They'll delay it as long as possible, to avoid giving users a lower cost/more flexible video solution to keep pushing sales of 4K ones as long as possible
  11. J

Deal: Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II $7999 (Reg $9999) and Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II $9499 (Reg $11499)

All are great lenses but Canons history is they put lenses on sale when they discontinue a model or replace it. Either way, I would wait if you are only so-so on getting one, as when they DO discontinue it, the price will drop more.
  12. J

Where can I find good FD mount L series lenses?

The FD 200mm f/1.8 is rare as it came along just as Canon transitioned to EOS mount lenses.
  13. J

We’ve returned to the 26.2mp sensor in the EOS RP

Sounds about right: Canon using a sensor 2 years old from the 6D Mk ii. Doubt the price though. Nor under $2k for a FF is their mantra.
  14. J

Review: Canon’s new super telephoto lens cases

I bought a DJI hard case for MY Canon gear, which I took on a MTB round trip around Newberry Crater in Oregon. The biggest problem Canos and most other packs is they look like they have camera gear in them, making them a target to steal.
  15. J

EOS Film Body - Compatibility with my Canon lenses

FD lenes ONLY work on older cameras, EOS lenses work on most AF film or digital cameras
  16. J

Patent: Canon continues to work on focal length reducers

Nice of Canon to think about us. Reducers have been around for the telescope people for nearly 50 YEARS now. For my 8" f/10 Maksutov Cassegrain, I have a choice of a 0.63X, 0.50X , 0.40X, 0.33x and a 0.25X. For my refractor, a 0.8X reducer/field flattener has been available 30 years. I guess...
  17. J

Patent: Canon speedbooster for EOS M

I loved my 7D mk I But the mk II was a vast disappointmen, so I went to a 6D mkII Great balance with a 200mm f/1.8 on the front. Hand holdable
  18. J

Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L USM

I bought this lens on the basis of using it at someones optical company open house. I took a photo of him, handheld, across a warehouse at 1/15 sec and could see individual hairs on his nose. Using a Canon 40D. I held out for over a year, but all I saw online were beat-up ones released by news...
  19. J

45-200mm f/2.8 prototype from 1959 on ebay for $40k

Lots of companies did low production runs/prototypes for lenses. Canon has the 300mm 1.8
  20. J

What are Canon's sharpest lenses?

I agree the 200mm 1.8 is amazingly sharp, even wide open