Search results

1. L

Images of three new Zeiss Supreme Prime Cinema lenses leak ahead of announcement

There is nothing magical about the image quality. Signature Primes are the same as Zeiss Stills lenses, but they have different iris with more blades to give a rounder aperture. So out of focus rendering is a bit smoother. They are assembled much more carefully so that all the elements are all...
  2. L

Patent: Canon working on lens cap technology!

Looks very similar to the JJC and Ricoh caps that were popular a few years ago. For example the Ricoh LC-1.
  3. L

And the Winner is…Canon Receives 2017 Technology & Engineering Emmy® Award

Re: Canon Receives 2017 Technology & Engineering Emmy Award Canon do make nice 4K broadcast box lenses. I've used the 50-1,000mm many times. It is quite a nice lens, with a good range. However it is very slow on the long end. The stop falls off hugely towards the long end.
  4. L

Confirmation of Upcoming Product Announcements

I know a bit about this one, because I used to work for the patent holder. They have quite a few licensing deals with other camera companies already. However there is a lot of semantics involved with regards to how it happens on the sensor and how it is processed etc. So sometimes it can be...
  5. L

Confirmation of Upcoming Product Announcements

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for dual ISO HDR. Whilst I'm sure Canon could do this if they want to, the problem is they would have to pay a royalty on every camera sold because it is patented by another company. So I'm thinking Canon wouldn't be prepared to do this on a high volume...
  6. L

More Specifications & Images of EOS 5D Mark IV

You guys have a lot more faith in Canon then me. I bet the dual pixel thing is going to be at best something mildly interesting. It's crazy to hope for something really revolutionary from Canon. They have proven again and again that it just isn't their style.
  7. L

Price Drops on Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II & C100 Mark II

Re: Price Drops on Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II & C100 Mark II The short answer is that C300 MK II is not selling well at all, whilst Sony FS7 is selling like gang busters. Sony has sold zillions of the things. This price drop brings it in within the realm of people possibly considering the...
  8. L

Canon Cinema EOS C700 Coming in 2016 [CR3]

The only reason RED has a big sensor in their cameras is because TowerJazz can't make a higher density sensor. So to offer higher resolution, the only way for them is to make the sensor bigger. When they say Super 35, they always mean Super 35 width, but 16:9 ratio. Sure, it's wrong, but that...
  9. L

Patent: Canon CN-E 24-70mm f/2.8

Most of Canon's Cine zooms don't hold their stop throughout their zoom range. 17-120mm, 30-300mm and 50-1,000mm all don't.
  10. L

Canon C500 Mark II at NAB [CR2]

Sony F65 is 8K. Has been out since January 2012.
  11. L

Canon Lenses Dominate The Sidelines As The New EOS-1D X Mark II Makes Its Debut At The Big Game

10 years ago, before Canon dropped the ball on this, there would have been 99% Canon shooters there. 70%, whilst still impressive, is a declining market share for Canon. I know down here, heaps of Pro sports guys are shooting Nikon. I worked on the ICC cricket World Cup last year and at least...
  12. L

Canon Working on Full Frame Fixed Lens Camera? [CR1]

I bet Sony loses money on RX1 cameras. I think they make them as halo cameras to add prestige to the Sony camera brand and to get publicity. I've lost track of the number of internet reviews where I've read that the RX1 is the best point and shoot camera money can buy. Kind of like the Bugatti...
  13. L

Review: Canon ME20F-SH by B&H Photo Explora

We had one of these cameras at work on demo a few months ago. It is amazing. Gives a really nice image in almost complete darkness. Canon should make this into a production camera. It is too good just for surveillance. They will sell a heap of these cameras for industrial uses. I guess that...
  14. L

Update on the Canon USA vs Grey Market Retailers Legal Action

The irony is that Canon USA is the source of heaps of Grey Market product for other markets like Australia, Asia etc. For example the full retail price at somewhere like B&H or Adorama on a lot of Canon gear is cheaper than the dealer buy price in Australia. So Canon USA are cutting their own...
  15. L

Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II Lab Test

Nope. The camera Brett Danton used was at the SMPTE show in Sydney. Was on the show floor on the 13th July. Identical to full production camera in every way. Canon may have called it a Prototype camera so that sales clients didn't get their nose out of joint that some people and not them were...
  16. L

Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II Lab Test

No way. Down in Australia they have been shipping to clients for a couple of weeks. The promo footage, shot in the Greek Islands, months ago was on a full production release camera.
  17. L

Shootout: Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art & Canon 35mm f/1.4L

The MTF on the Canon looks amazing. Especially since this is measured, not theoretical. Not sure why you would say the MTF is not good enough to encourage you to buy this lens? The Sigma is great value, but there is massive diminishing returns seeking out better image quality, especially for...
  18. L

Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II Now Shipping

Have been out for a couple of weeks in Australia already. Only EF mount, no PL mounts yet. I'm surprised B&H Photo and the like haven't got theirs already. In Australia batteries are in extremely short supply. No after market batteries available yet also.
  19. L

EF 14mm f/1.4L USM

Don't get excited, it's the 24mm as indicated on other shots in the series. They never had a 14mm on the shoot.