Search results

1. R

Industry News: Nikon announces development of the D6 and AF-S Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR lens

GMC has conducted a long, pathetic and uninformed campaign against this lens, shouting accusations whenever the focal length range is mentioned. I debunked them a long time ago here on CR, in particular his nonsensical tirades about focal length at minimum focus distance. He is aware, that I...
  2. R

Canon’s profit likely to slide 40% on European slowdown

European economic forecasts always look like that. It also was during and shortly after the financial crisis of 2007/2008: 2007: economy strong as ever, massive growth! 2008: oh no, a brief slow down, but forecast is excellent, massive growth in 2009 2009: oh no, another slowdown. but future...
  3. R

Industry News: Hasselblad announces the X1D II 50C medium format camera, and the XCD 35-75 zoom lens

So basically we have a whole pile of unknowns with sunlight, we have a comparable pile of unknowns with flash light, my numbers may be off by some factor 2 or 3 or whatever, and we still arrive at the same conclusion: a flash can be used to balance out sunlight in HSS mode, and could be used...
  4. R

Industry News: Hasselblad announces the X1D II 50C medium format camera, and the XCD 35-75 zoom lens

If I look at this document here, total power density of solar radiation at earth surface is about 1.35 kW/m2, of which 520 W/m2 fall into the visible range. This would suggest an efficiency of about 38.5%. This efficiency is a lot higher than an ideal black body radiator would theoretically...
  5. R

Compact flashes and studio strobes are very much incandescent lights and have light efficiency very much like regular tungsten lights. Therefore it is a very useful comparison between a 1000J flash/strobe vs. a 1000W construction light with a halogen bulb shining for a whole second. Both require...
  6. R

Sorry, that would be incorrect. While sunlight does create a light density of about 1 kW/m^2, incandescent light has very poor efficiency. You'd need about 20 kW of incandescent light spread over 1 m^2 to get the equivalent of sunlight. Once you consider this, our numbers are not that different.
  7. R

How about one who holds a doctorate in electrical engineering, with focus on telecommunication, who designed and built communication devices which went into commercial production, and therefore knows, that this t0.5 time is very relevant for estimating the relevant time frame for light output...
  8. R

There are some new strobes out there, all rated around 500J, powered by lithium ions cells and fully capable of some kind of TTL, like the Profoto B1X. This thing claims 1/1000s flash duration for t0.5 at full power, and probably half that at half power.
  9. R

Adobe testing a new price point for the Creative Cloud Photography Plan

As far as I know, Adobe CC pricing was never marketed as "promotional", so I guess most people rightly assumed, that US$10/month for a mature and well established product was a sustainable price, which would not increase much beyond adjustments to inflation rate. You may consider US$20/month...
  10. R

It is a classic example of where the people affected by a poor decision are not the people responsible for the decision. Microsoft destroyed their reputation as a trustworthy corporate partner two decades ago while reaping in massive profits. The folks making the decision became filthy rich in...
  11. R

Microsoft as a company may have suffered from their past decisions, but the decision makers from back then reaped healthy profits and no longer have to deal with the consequences. They also did not have to deal with the fallout from shoddy but ubiquitous software, it was society which suffered...
  12. R

I am a senior engineer, so trust me: I do know poor product expense estimates and unexpected rises in final product cost. But none of this is the case here: Adobe's product line is very mature, there are no hints at significant development risks or cost overruns. Adobe is very profitable, too...
  13. R

I share your disagreement with Group 3, and you never read any statement from myself supporting this position. Group 1 may be right or not, let's wait and see how this unfolds. Group 2 is a perfectly valid concern: a price hike of 100% is not a common thing, and a clear sign of market...
  14. R

You've got to be kidding me ... that's what you took home after seven pages of forum postings? The underlying assumption of such services and pricing models is that people don't use up their quota. People with a few hundred MB worth of data effectively subsidize power users and the whole cloud...
  15. R

Present a legal way, how to stop Adobe from engaging in the behavior, which has been discussed in this thread for seven pages already ...
  16. R

They are just in the process of studying, how roughly doubling the price would affect the size of their customer base. I don't think they can make a profit from supporting their software plus storing the full 1TB of pure random data at US$20/month. They can even less likely make a profit from...
  17. R

Here is the best response to a forced offer of 1TB cloud storage (for those who can't just cancel): as many people as possible should fill their unneeded cloud storage space with random data. I am quite sure, that Adobe thought "we'll sell them 1TB, but most will use less than 100GB", planned...
  18. R

Canon releases a product advisory for the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III and EF 600mm f/4L IS III

If the work around is "use only Tv and P mode", the "there are work-around methods" doesn't cut it.
  19. R

Tamron announces the 35-150mm F/2.8-4 Di VC OSD and SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD for Canon EF

AFAIK Tamron/Sigma do sell tons of 24-whatevers and 70-200, just like Canon does. You are correct that there is no point in Tamron/Sigma offering an 18-55.
  20. R

Tamron announces the 35-150mm F/2.8-4 Di VC OSD and SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD for Canon EF

Canon has (among a lineup of very popular lenses) a long list of specialty lenses with a very narrow market (tilt&shift, the long whites, loupe lens, ...), and Tamron/Sigma both have pupular lenses (24-70, 85, 105/150 macros, 70-200, ...) right next to rather uncommon offerings (15-30, 24-35...