Search results

1. talicoa

It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible

I just tried it with a still life. This is amazing. It really works great for additional resolution. It makes a big difference for me. Get a good tripod, a still subject, and understand your lens and you can get some good images. Don't forget to use the timer for releasing the shutter. No...
  2. talicoa

Does your wife or significant other understand how much effort is required?

To follow up, I would start this by taking photos of your daughter. Exactly the way you are envisioning them. Then let them be seen by the other kids/parents on the team. If they say "wow, those are great. How do I get some like that?" then you are correct and your services are desired. Many...
  3. talicoa

Does your wife or significant other understand how much effort is required?

I agree with Vivid Color. It is like writing an article on Photography You really have to understand your audience first. What I would write for myself, or someone like me, is very different than what I need to write for the general public. Same holds true for your photography. People...
  4. talicoa

Bingo! New Canon 5Ds has 50.6 MP new rumored specs

So how does the pixel density compare to a 7dII? I'm not sure cropping is always the answer when composition is more important. Also, I really feel the 5DMKIII has hit a very useable sweetspot of quality and useability. If I were to upgrade, I would need to update my computer, cards, and card...
  5. talicoa

Review - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4

This is one of my favorite lenses. I can't seem to shake it. My AF is wonky. I dropped it onto a rug from about 2 ft high and the helicoid warped. There is a very thin section of plastic. I was able to shape it back close to the way it should. It worked pretty well for a year or two, and...
  6. talicoa

85mm 1.8 vs other 85mm Primes for portraits

At the top of the canon Rumors homepage is a link to the review for the Canon 85mm 1.8. I read through it, and also through the discussion thread that followed. This topic really got under a lot of peoples skin. People generally disagreed with some part of the review. A lot of people bashed...
  7. talicoa

7D Mark II Video Tested By Gizmodo

I'm not in the market right now for another body, but I wouldn't be scared off by this level of image quality. It will be fine. But then I like a shallower depth of field and sometimes you don't want things too sharp(People). The reality is that my post production workflow can't really handle...
  8. talicoa

7D Mark II Video Tested By Gizmodo

I'm sorry but to me it looks like they didn't stop down and they have some focus issues. Sure it is soft if you look at elements outside the DOF. Did they use a good lens? I don't know, it doesn't seem like sharpness wasn't maximized here.
  9. talicoa

More Images of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II

There are no detents for actual locations. This is more of an analog switch. Can you say Servo AF? That would be a nice addition. I can't see where else they would do it. Maybe those direction arrows, but I like this switch better.
  10. talicoa

DXOMark Reviews Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4

So are you saying that a well practiced manual focusing photographer could use this lens as an effective portrait lens in close quarters wide open? What do you think the keeper rate would be hand held? What percentage of those keepers would use to the fullest extent this very expensive glass...
  11. talicoa

DXOMark Reviews Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4

DXO can score this however they want, but when they say things like this: "The new Otus 85mm is without question the most desirable and best performing 85mm portrait lens available" I have no desire to continue reading what they are selling. What are they smoking? I still haven't figured out...
  12. talicoa

Something with 50mm L lens that make it different

The distance relationship was a big part of how I guessed. There is one with a girl sitting in a field pretty far away from the camera. The shallower depth of field in that one, I think could only be from the 1.2 wide open. It is pretty extreme for that distance. Like wise, the Horse is...
  13. talicoa

PBD, No, I didn't cheat, there is seriously no fun in cheating. There were a few where I had really no idea and had to guess. It will be interesting to see the results to see if what I got correct was based on what I thought, or if I got lucky. You are very well mannered about all of this, I...
  14. talicoa

PBD, OK, One right wasn't good enough. Here are some better answers where I actually downloaded the files and looked closer last night. My hit ratio may go down, but my total correct should go up, because I made more guesses. For a lot of these they are so manipulated in post it is pretty hard...
  15. talicoa

(show me you can discern the "unique look" of the 50L) PBD, Unfortunately what you have done with all of your examples photos, is confuse things. Your insistence, that because we can't tell what lens made each photo, we don't really need the 50L, is what is hard to understand. Would you agree...
  16. talicoa

PBD, So what is the point of your comments, and those in the other thread? Should we all be saving money and not renting/buying/shooting the L lens? The only way you will convince me of this is by showing me the same scene shot with the different lenses in question, wide open and with no post...
  17. talicoa

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

I will take whatever slack I can get. I think the 50 1.2L takes some great photos, better than my canon 50mm 1.4 below f2.8. Am I wrong? If you are saying that it isn't worth the extra money for other people, that is a difficult argument. Who knows the value that people place on their money...
  18. talicoa

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

I'll make a couple of guesses based on my experience with these lenses. The little girl looking up is with the 50 1.2L, as is the woman looking up the roof, I think the Little Figurine, and maybe the rose too. The horse nose and the girl coming up the escalator look like the 1.4 version...
  19. talicoa

Bears in the Wild

This is bear 399 from the Grand Tetons. Registered Man Mauler.(Math teacher got between her and her kill.) I have been very lucky to see this bear a few times. Once all by myself early in the morning(I was in a car) This time, where we got to watch her and her three cubs for about 45 minutes...
  20. talicoa

We, The Photographers......Self Portaits..a Who's Who on CR

OK, I will try this. I can never seem to post a photo. If I can, maybe I will start a thread too. It worked. Wow, Flickr doesn't make it easy. Some one else mentioned this too. Isn't it weird these are all of guys? Interesting to see everybody. Great thread. Tom