Search results

1. S

Canon EOS R3 to have a 30mp sensor? [CR1]

Yes, but when it hurts too much we are taken care of for free by an excellent health system.....
  2. S

Industry News: Nikon announces a pair of macro lenses for the Z mount

Good for Nikon users, macro / close up equipment has always been one of their strength. I remember with nostalgia my 55mm /105mm AI-S Micro Nikkor combo, they were superb lenses. Great to see Nikon new releases, I hope they'll keep going as a company, it's a name in the photo industry I would...
  3. S

Canon will introduce new tilt-shift lenses with a high-megapixel camera [CR2]

I am with you here, I am afraid the trend is into going über-everything. All lenses must be 1.2, or full of features most people don't need. But as the market is shrinking, I guess manufacturers need to sell innovation at any cost. Though I am sure it's a good lens, the 100mm macro R seems a bit...
  4. S

Canon will introduce new tilt-shift lenses with a high-megapixel camera [CR2]

Absolutely, wide shift lenses are mainly designed for architecture, where absolute sharpness is required from corner to corner with as little distortion as possible. They are usually used stopped down a lot for depth of field, so a 24mm f1.4 TS makes little sense. A brighter (f2) 50mm or 90mm TS...
  5. S

Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

Don't worry, you are not alone here, I work as an architecture and interiors photographer, and I am not planning to go with the R line either (at least for the lenses). In my line of work I do not even need AF so there is nothing I cannot do with a DSLR. However, I am considering an R5 (or the...
  6. S

Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

I am with you here, TS-E lenses were the last Canons with a decent manual focus. AF shift lenses with a miserable focus by wire is the last thing you need when shooting serious architecture (that is with a tripod). I would have loved a TS zoom. That would have been a revolution, for those...
  7. S

All new 24mp sensor coming to the next Canon ILC’s [CR1]

I know it's just a "canceled" AA filter on the 5DSr, the same Nikon did on the D800E. The result tough is equivalent., though my A7R that doesn't have any AA filter, seems a micro hair sharper at pixel level.
  8. S

All new 24mp sensor coming to the next Canon ILC’s [CR1]

I am with you here, I got rid of the AA filter when switching to the 5DSr and and never looked back. Now my backup camera is a Sony A7R and my next camera will likely be the next Canon that doesn't have an AA filter. I do mostly architecture and interieur for a living, and I still have to try to...
  9. S

Is there an EOS R series camera with an APS-C sensor coming? [CR1]

I guess I must be in the 1% then. I do architecture and interiors photography for a living and couldn't care less about AF. 99% of my pictures are shot on a tripod, with careful MANUAL focusing in live view at 16x. Actually the quality of the manual focus ring is of premium importance for me. As...
  10. S

What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

I'm fully with you here, I'm dreaming about a 35mm TS-E as well. I use the 24mm TS-E L II + Extender 1.4x III as an intermediate solution, but the quality loss is obvious. I was almost ready to buy the Distagon 35mm, since everyone claims it's the best 35mm PC on the market, but your experience...
  11. S

Yes I guess they will at some point join the IBIS community, but I wonder if it will on the higher end models, since they might consider it a non mature feature in terms of reliability (both in the mechanical sense and for heat transfer off the sensor). The rule until now has been that for pro...
  12. S

+1. Don't forget Canon is a conservative brand, for lots of reasons, but one of them is that they serve as well a lot of working pros. Contrary to a popular belief, a lot of pros don't upgrade all the time with the latest and the best gimmicks all the time. They use what they have as far as it...
  13. S

Yes I guess you could improve slightly the optical formula, we could have a slightly bigger image circle, but for now Canon just released one Mirorless FF, that is not a pro camera, and the slight improvements we could get from an RF TS-E would not compensate the fact that many pro still work...
  14. S

Fun that you mention Rodenstock, The 90mm f4.5 is my favorite WA on my Technikardan. However don't forget that 90mm on a 4x5 is roughly equivalent to a 25-26mm. The equivalent for a 17mm would be the Rodenstock 55mm or Schneider 58mm; both lenses are smaller but their image circle doesn't allow...
  15. S

Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

As much as would love it, I am afraid that hoping to match D850 sensor IQ and DR is a bit over-enthusiastic. The D850 sensor is simply THE best FF sensor on the market for IQ, even very slightly surpassing Sony's own A7RIII sensor. I really doubt Canon has made such progress since the 5D4...
  16. S

Of course as soon as we'll get 3rd party adapter vintage glass should adapt. I'am waiting for a FF mirrorless mainly for the purpose of having a light(er) and small(er) camera that can work with some (excellent) vintage lenses and be able to get proper viewfinder focus with them (contrary to...
  17. S

I guess at some point we'll see DSLRs overtaken by MILCs, it seems only natural, the same way rangefinder cameras where dominating the market until Nikon proved otherwise with the F. With younger generations more used to LCDs than to optical instruments, DSLRs already look like dinosaurs to the...
  18. S

Agreed, that would be bad. I guess we'll know more with the first review in a few days. The camera looks decent, though IMHO the retail price will be the final judge. Without IBIS, with a moderate resolution viewfinder (compared to Nikon), average FPS, one card slot (at least UHS-II if I got...
  19. S

I assume it should, I am currently using Contax/Zeiss and Leica R glass on my 5DR without problem, the thin mount should allow for even more choice in vintage glass. It would be a very bad move from Canon to limit the "natural capacity" of MILCs to adapt vintage lenses, and surely a good reason...
  20. S

Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

A couple of things I'd love to know : will lenses be fly by wire ? 99% of my work being on a tripod with manually focused lenses, focus by wire is for me the ultimate nightmare and is one of the main reasons I am not so excited with MILCs. I was waiting to know if Canon would go the same route...