Search results

1. Z

New Lens Suggestion Please

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I've been persuaded that the 16-35 f4 is the one to go for. I was leaning slightly that way when I originally posted, but the comments here have tipped me this way. Now to persuade the bank manager to relinquish the credit card for half an hour ;D Thanks...
  2. Z

Thanks for the quick reply. The 2.8 v2 is affordable, yes. The new v3 is way above my budget though. Good question. Probably, yes. Either I've been lucky with camera gear, or unlucky with other cheap stuff. My Yongnuo flashes and 28-135 are still going strong after 2 years, but my strikeout...
  3. Z

Hi all, I'm planning on buying myself a new lens for Christmas (the wife bank manager has agreed that I can get one ;D), and I'm after some advice about which to buy to pair with my 7D. As I'm after a UWA zoom, that narrows it down pretty much to three lenses (based on budget). My choices are...
  4. Z

Capture 1 Pro or Lightroom

I've been toying with the idea of switching to Capture One for a while, and after playing with the demo since v9.2 was released I jumped on board when SLR Lounge posted a 25% discount code during the Labor Day holiday. I've just posted a first-impressions/switching article on my blog if you're...
  5. Z

Tripod Suggestion

I'm looking at getting my first tripod for studio work. I've been looking at the ones within my budget that are available in my area, and come across a couple of Manfrotto and Velbon kits that include legs and ballhead, but I'm not sure which one would be most suitable. I won't be putting any...
  6. Z

Some New Portraits

Some recent family photos, mostly taken while playing with my new 85mm f/1.8, although there are some taken with my EOS M this weekend as well. All are of either my son or son and wife (except the last one, obviously!) EOS M | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | ISO100 | 1/180 | f/5.6 | 49mm 7D | 85mm...
  7. Z

Bag - Flipside 300 or 400AW?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll take your advice under advisement. The reason I was asking for advice is that I have no way of actually seeing the bags for myself. My city has no proper camera stores (only department stores that sell cameras), so there is nowhere that I can actually try them...
  8. Z

Bag - Flipside 300 or 400AW?

Hi all, I've got a trip coming up and need a new bag to replace the not so good one I got with my camera (a Canon one that says EOS all over it!). I'm looking at the Lowepro Flipside series for a security purposes, but I'm wondering which is best for my gear, bearing in mind that I'll be taking...
  9. Z

Sigma Art 50mm with 7D

I'm still debating which fast prime to get, and have also been looking at the Sigma Art 50mm for the last couple of days. Is the AF accuracy really a major problem with this lens, or is it something that only a few people seem to encounter? I'm also interested in how this lens works with the...
  10. Z

Lens Recommendations

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Did I read that article about the 50L right, in that the focus shift only occurs with objects quite close to the lens? I guess it's not much of an issue at normal portrait distances, is that correct? Also, one other question. Does the Sigma 50 1.4 work...
  11. Z

Lens Recommendations

Thanks for the suggestions guys. As mentioned, I simply do not have the budget for the Canon 70-200 and the 24-70 2.8's. As for the EF-S lenses, where I'm based at the moment, there is no possibility of selling it, so it's not a consideration. I don't know how long I'll be here, so I don't want...
  12. Z

Lens Recommendations

Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing my first L lens to go with my original 7D. First, let me make clear that I'm not interested in EF-S lenses. An upgrade to FF in the future is very possible, and where I'm located now, selling lenses is not an option. I'm also looking at a prime, although a zoom...
  13. Z

Spartans, What is your profession?

Teaching English at a vocational college in China at the moment, but have also taught computer animation at a University. Photography is just a hobby for me, and I haven't developed GAS yet, since working in China doesn't pay that much!
  14. Z

Aquarium shooting advice please

Thanks. Unfortunately renting any gear is not an option where I am, so I've got to make do with what I've got. I'll have a go and see what happens. Btw, there is nosplash zone there, so getting wet is not a problem.
  15. Z

Aquarium shooting advice please

On Tuesday I'm heading to Ocean World in Zhuhai, China. It's a very similar setup to Sea World in the US. My gear is fixed at a 7D and 28-135 zoom, but I'd really like some advice on how to go about shooting, especially things like dolphins(show and enclosure), sealions and penguins. Any...
  16. Z

First 7D Portraits

Yeah, I certainly will, when I can afford it! The lens basically came with the body for free (it wasn't a kit, just a special offer). I'm saving for some better glass as we speak! I was actually going for a warm look. I prefer warm images, so I purposely used the Cloudy white balance on a...
  17. Z

First 7D Portraits

Some portraits of my son from my first session using my new 7D. I must say, it's a massive upgrade from my Olympus E-410. So much easier to shoot! The first shot is in my apartment complex, and the others were taken at the East Square in Zhaoqing, China. 7D with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ISO100...
  18. Z

What Canon stuff did you get for Christmas

Not quite for Christmas, but I bought myself a 7D and EF 28-135 last week, and ordered a new battery and grip the day before yesterday. Should be arriving today (no Christmas in China, so deliveries will be coming). When I get off work in the middle of January, I'll have plenty of chance to play!
  19. Z

Just picked up a 7D

Thanks for the suggestions. I was certainly considering the 50mm 1.8 since it's so cheap and gets decent reviews. As for the 70-200, I simply cannot afford the 70-200 2.8 IS II, so my choices are the f/4IS and the f/2.8 non-IS. From the reviews, both seem to be excellent, and where I am they are...
  20. Z

Just picked up a 7D

I've been looking at getting a new camera for ages to replace my Olympus E-410, and to complement my EOS-M. I went into my local Suning electronics store and saw that they had the original 7D on special offer, along with the EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 and a free bag, so I jumped on it there and then. I...