Search results

1. LesC

Canon Rumors site update

Not sure I see the point of today's update? Seems the home page now only fills a central band of my screen whereas it used to fill the whole width of the monitor. New layout seems confusing too but i guess I may get used to it. The phrase 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' springs to mind ...
  2. LesC

EOS R hot pixels on long exposures

I find that when taking long exposures with my EOS R (anything from 30 secs to 4 minutes +) I get a lot more hot pixels than i ever did with my 6D MKII. I appreciate that opening the RAWs in Photoshop or Lightroom removes the majority of them but still a nuisance. I wonder if this happens...
  3. LesC

Dual monitors with different resolution for Photoshop?

I currently use two 24" FHD (1920 x 1080) monitors and when using Photoshop have the main screen on one monitor with other Photoshop panels on the other. I'm thinking of getting a 27" 4K monitor to replace on of them. I know you can scale the 4k monitor to say 175% or 200% to make the text...
  4. LesC

RF24-105 lens barrel play

My RF24-105 lens barrel seems to have a little 'play' in it ... If you shake the camera/lens you can hear a little knocking sound & can feel the lens barrel moving. It's only slight - you can't really see any movement - maybe 0.5mm and it doesn't affect the IQ which is excellent. I also have...
  5. LesC

RF24-70 & RF15-35 Reviews

Digital Camera world have just posted reviews. Seems both are good but edge sharpness could be better ... https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/hands-on-canon-rf-24-70mm-f28l-is-usm-review https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/canon-rf-15-35mm-f28l-is-usm-review
  6. LesC

GPS tagging with Camera Connect App - how to stop disconnecting?

I've found the feature to tag images with GPS data form my phone works quite well but often the App disconnects. I sometimes turn camera off - don't know if that matters as bluetooth remains on. Also maybe I should stop battery optimisation on phone for the Camera Connect App? Any other tips?
  7. LesC

Google Abandons Its Nik Collection

According to Petapixel, Google will no longer update the Niki collection: https://petapixel.com/2017/05/30/google-abandons-nik-collection-popular-photo-editing-software/ So looks like it will continue to work for now but with newer versions of Photoshop might not?
  8. LesC

EXIF data for long exposures

Here's a question .... If you take a long exposure, say five minutes, does the EXIF data show the time the exposure started or finished??
  9. LesC

EF24-70 F2.8L MKII soft edges?

I've had my EF24-70 F2.8L MKII lens for about 2 1/2 years now and I've never been convinced it's a stunning as reviews suggest it is. It's permanently fitted to my EOS 6D and having been into photography for 25years + I like to think I know the technique side of thing at least (but happy to...
  10. LesC

Have Canon increased their prices or are shops preparing for Black Friday?

I'd been watching prices in the UK for the EF100 F2.8L for a while and regretted not pulling the trigger when Jessops had it with a 10% discount over the weekend of 15/16 October at £593. It subsequently went back up to £659 with other sellers listing it at £699. Today I've noticed that at...
  11. LesC

EOS 80D RAW noise - some thoughts/observations

Having in the past been lazy & shot RAW+jpeg with the purchase of the 80D thought it was about time to shoot RAW only. On my first outing with the 80D to an airshow (RIAT), looking at my shots via Faststone viewer I was rather pleased with them even at 100% however I'd failed to realize at...
  12. LesC

EOS 80D Shutter hesitation?

Used my new 80D for the 1st time yesterday at an airshow with the 100-400 F5.6L MKII. Using 'Zone AF' (the middle 9 AF points), on I'd guess 25% of shots, when I pressed the shutter button to achieve focus & then take the shot, the shutter appeared to hesitate for a moment before the picture...
  13. LesC

Odd effects on long exposure shots

Tried some long exposure shots on a recent trip to Jersey and I'm trying to work out what's caused the odd effects on these shots. Please ignore the fact the photographs are underexposed; I took shots at a variety of settings but the underexposed shots show the effects more clearly. Also please...
  14. LesC

Lee Adaptor for EF24-70 F2.8 II

Looking to get the 24-70 for use on FF. Anyone have experience of using a Lee filter holder with this lens bearing in mind the 82mm fliter thread? I'm presuming a WA adaptor would be best/essential? Standard adaptor would cause vignetting? I prefer to keep a UV filter on my lenses so would...
  15. LesC

EOS6D or 7DMKII ?

Been looking for a replacement for my 40D which is getting a bit long in the tooth & had first thought of going for the 70D but reports of AF problems put me off it. In the meantime I bought an EOS100D/SL1 as I'd fancied a small body too & have been very pleased with it. Having 17-40L & 70-200...