Search results

1. C

Review: PhotoZone - 35L II on 5DS R

But LensRentals optical bench testing can show you things about the lens aberrations that you can't necessarily see in a resolution chart, too. Astigmatism is one clear example. The MTF chart also shows how the lens behaves as a function of spatial frequency, and again how these vary with...
  2. C

I fixed that for you. Look, I call it like I see it. If someone is factually incorrect--which he very clearly is--and refuses to own up to it, then he deserves to be ridiculed. If he were a decent human being and acknowledges that he has been spreading misinformation, then I would not be...
  3. C

85L mk II rubber coating breakdown

Sadly, no. The exterior barrel of the EF 85/1.2L II is treated with a special rubberized finish to improve grip, because it is a fat, heavy, and round lens. It isn't found in most other EF lenses--in fact, I can't think of any other lenses in production that have it.
  4. C

85L mk II rubber coating breakdown

You have a few options: Least risky option: Send it in to Canon to have them replace the exterior components. This will cost money, but not a prohibitive amount. More risky option: Use a solvent to dissolve the coating, and live without it. I don't recommend this due to the danger of...
  5. C

Any idea for new 85mm f/1.2

The last link is particularly interesting, because in retrospect, after Canon's announcement of BR element technology for the 35/1.4L II, that last bullet point in the patent from 2011 (filing date!) now actually means something. Canon was working on using BR tech and actually hinted at it for...
  6. C

Any idea for new 85mm f/1.2

I anticipated the release of the EF 35/1.4L II was imminent on the basis of a $150 rebate that was offered on the EF 35/1.4L that was relatively large in comparison to the rebate on other fast-aperture EF L primes. At the time, I also predicted that an EF 35/1.4L II would have improved...
  7. C

"weather sealed" != "impervious to salt water"

"Silicon gel" LOL. Keep digging yourself deeper, troll.
  8. C

Portraitlens for headshots.

The OP specifically asked about lenses suitable for photographing schoolchildren for a school. He showed a sample of his animal portraiture. And then after some standard recommendations were made, we get a stream of photographs from posters using all kinds of other lenses, in an attempt to...
  9. C

Exactly, which is why that guy's attempts at salvaging his gear was so obviously futile. Salt water is death to cameras and other electronics.
  10. C

The only person that was left guessing was you. Don't presume that just because you are ignorant, that everyone else must be as well.
  11. C

Just because I don't go into every single excruciating detail about how to properly select and use rechargeable silica gel doesn't mean there isn't a way to use it effectively and simply, or that I'm ignorant of its proper usage. I use it all the time in my Pelican cases. You are being rude...
  12. C

Just read this on PetaPixel: http://petapixel.com/2016/02/05/shooting-a-winter-storm-killed-my-canon-7d/#more-202201 I don't understand how anyone can be so incredibly stupid. This misconception has been hashed out many times before: "weather-sealed" does not mean that you can let ocean...
  13. C

Portraitlens for headshots.

For photographing children *specifically*, a shorter focal length is probably better. The reason is that a child's face is proportioned differently than an adult: their faces are rounder and flatter; and their noses are proportionally smaller. A longer lens will accentuate the roundness of...
  14. C

Laowa STF 105mm f/2 Lens Coming Next Week

Moreover, it may be interesting to point out that this difference should get smaller as the lens is stopped down; so for example, if the lens is shot at f/4, the t-stop will not remain over one stop slower, since the filter's proximity relative to the aperture stop should be as close as...
  15. C

Canon USA Announces Five New PowerShot Cameras

Mathematically, it isn't 0x zoom. A fixed focal length lens is 1x zoom, although to my mind both are rather silly notions. Zoom ratios are exactly that: a lens like a 70-200mm has a zoom ratio of approximately 200/70 = 2.85714x at infinity focus, and the general formula is zoom ratio =...
  16. C

Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L USM

Re: Canon 200mm f/1.8 USM Because older brothers tend to be slower too. *giggles*
  17. C

Sigma Corporation Announces World’s First Protective Lens Made of Clear Glass Ceramic

What distinguishes ceramic from glass in this particular application are two things: the presence of oxides of aluminum, and a semi- or microcrystalline structure. This means that it is not Gorilla glass. It is not chemically strengthened glass. It is not tempered or annealed in a way that...
  18. C

Insulting comments removed by Moderator
  19. C

Insulting Comment removed by Moderator
  20. C

PhotoZone's results are not reliable. I stopped reading that site years ago because it is clear that the author has a strong bias toward Zeiss, even when other brands perform just as well; and in general, the author has a bias toward alt lenses. As evidence I submit that PZ does not test more...