Search results

1. C

Patent: A sensor protection assembly for a small form factor RF mount ILC

Electronic shutter necessitates more powerful and faster electronics by the nature of how it works. This cost more money and may eat up any savings from elimination of the mechanical shutter.
  2. C

Is a brand new 32.5mp APS-C sensor from Canon on the way? [CR1]

You might have noticed that I used the future tense in my statement. It is not now yet, but will happen in 2 to 4 years I think. What is required is sensors with many more channels of parallel processing. And more processing power. This is only a matter of time before Sony has that, and I...
  3. C

MILCs eliminate essentially all opto-mechanical components except optional sensor stabilisation assuming that electro-mechanical shutter will be replaced with electronic one. This essentially leaves only digital electronics. There is a well documented trend since circa 1975 that digital...
  4. C

In the case that I gave as an example - pet eye AF - this is about the resolution and coverage of the AF sensor. With on sensor AF you can have thousands of AF points spread over nearly all sensor. In a DLSR you have tens, typically low tens and in basic DSLRs like 200D you have 9 all bunched...
  5. C

Canon may drop the M series. Or de-emphasize it as they say. Be that as it may, a 32 MP APS-C sensor can be used in an RF mount camera. Canon may decide to manufacture RF cameras with APS-C sensor. They may also introduce RF mount lenses with smaller image circle for such cameras. RF-S...
  6. C

I got this information from DXOMARK here: https://www.dxomark.com/sony-a6400-sensor-review/ It says that this is a BSI sensor. Admittedly this is a murky area. For example. Wikipedia, in the entries for A6300 and A6500 have Exmor RS sensor. This is the same sensor as in A6400. Exmor RS...
  7. C

The logic is based on the following factors: Mirrorless cameras are cheaper to make and will become even cheaper in the future with falling prices of electronic components. Mirrorless cameras may be much smaller than equivalent DSLR. Market in general wants this. Mirrorless cameras allow...
  8. C

Not really. The sensor in Sony A6400 camera is BSI, and its predecessor A6300 was also using a BSI sensor. So Sony has been using APS-C BSI sensors for at least 4 years now.
  9. C

Small correction. The original Leica 35mm camera was invented in 1913 by Oskar Barnack. The original idea was to have small sturdy camera for landscape photography when hiking. No cumbersome bellows. The price to pay was the need for enlargement for very small negative. Serial production...
  10. C

Doesn't 7DII have just such an OVF? 100% magnification high quality bright OVF in the form of solid glass polished pentaprism is very costly, requires very precise adjustment during manufacturing process and is heavy. Only top class camera with a price tag to match can have it. The rest will...
  11. C

Preorder: Canon EOS Rebel SL3

I'd guess that when Canon said videographers they really meant vblogers. 6D2 turned out to be the best vbloging camera according to Tony Northrup. I'd say that SL3 will be just as good for that at a fraction of price. Just flip and turn the LCD into selfie mode, press the button and voila you...
  12. C

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II Coming Very Soon

>>>> Excepting a few things here. 1) When the F4L IS was introduced it was sharper (better resolving power) than the F2.8L IS (Gen I); 2) Smaller (more compact) and lighter than the F2.8L IS. 3) Significantly cheaper. So, for people travelling and/or packing into the outdoors, the F4L IS...
  13. C

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II Coming Very Soon

I think that 70-200 zooms are bought mostly for portraits and close range sport. For the former you need 2.8 to get shallow depth of field. For the latter you need 2.8 to freeze action. For the general purpose zoom you probably prefer 70-300. I believe that 70-400 F4 L zoom does not have a well...
  14. C

Two Prosumer Mirrorless Camera Bodies in Development [CR2]

The DPReview has just published comprehensive and detailed review of Sony a7 III: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7-iii-review This is well worth reading to know what is the current state of the aart in prosumer FF mirrorless. It was surprising to me to find how far Sony has moved in...
  15. C

Sony does offer completely lossless RAW. They introduced it about a year ago, as the customers asked for it. However, most users found out that they have not been losing anything noticeable with the compressed RAW and the size of files is much smaller. Lossless RAW is just another tick off point.
  16. C

Because Sony has no competition at the moment. No other vendor offers FF mirrorless. They also have reasonably good and quickly improving assortment of native FF lenses - the FE lenses. They also made the details of the interface to their lenses available to third party lens manufacturers...
  17. C

Mirrorless camera should be cheaper to manufacture than DSLR of the same functionality. The simple reasons for this are that you remove a number of opto-mechanical components that are expensive to manufacture and require precise i.e. costly alignment in the manufacturing process. You remove...
  18. C

What a Full Frame Canon Mirrorless Needs To Have To Be Successful

In response to BillB: In addition, such a cut out and key solution will prevent use of the new lenses with anything that currently may go at the back of an EF lens - macro rings, adapters to the Canon M series, adapters for other mirrorless cameras such as Sony A7/A9, various microscope and...
  19. C

In response to BillB: >>>>>If you want FF mirrorless lenses that protrudes deeper than the EF-S standard, maybe an EF compatible mount that prevents mounting on both EF and EF-S DSLR's would be useful. In principle, it is simple to do a small cut out in the mount on an FF mirrorless and a...
  20. C

In response to BillB: >>>Is it possible for the future Canon fullframe MILC to have a variation of EF-S mount? Mechanically and electrically EF-S is identical to EF i.e. there is no such thing like EF-S mount strictly speaking. There exist EF-S lenses that differ from regular EF lenses only...