Search results

1. L

Can someone bring me up to speed on EF vs RF lenses?

Hi, long time member but I've been busy with http://mcvoy.com/lm/boat and not really paying attention to photography. I mostly don't care because I have pretty much all the EF glass I want, but what is up with all the EF lenses being discontinued? I get that RF is all the rage (I don't get why...
  2. L

5DIII AF started hunting?

I've got a 5DIII firmware 1.2.1 that I took to Europe with me. 2nd day in I noticed when I use all the AF points with a 24-105 mark I it is hunting, to the point that AF is basically useless. This was in bright light at the beach in Holland, so light should not be an issue. Here's the weird...
  3. L

1dx II delivers on jpeg quality

One of the reasons I splurged on the 1dx ii was that Canon claimed that they worked on the quality of the jpegs it delivers. And yes, yes, they did, oh, my did they ever. Check this out: http://mcvoy.com/lm/2017-carrizo-plain/23.html nothing special, right? Now go look at the original size...
  4. L

1dx II - is it possible to map a button to a menu item?

I shoot sports semi-pro and the boss wants me to deliver him a card full of keepers, no duds. I just got the 1dx and found the cropping function in the menu. It's awesome when you are going through your images, find that perfect shot but it's not zoomed in enough, the crop function really...
  5. L

1dx ii cheat sheet for 5D III owners?

Hi, Santa was very very nice to me this year and I'm learning how to use my 1dx II. This is the first pro body I've owned, I've got a 5DIII that is my main body (and a 7D II that I've never really warmed up to). I know my way around the 5D pretty well, still bumping my way around the 1DX II...
  6. L

fast focussing 20mm f1.4 - does such a lens exist (for crop factor)?

Yes, I know about the Sigma f1.8 zoom but based on reviews I'm not confident about the focus speed. Here's what I'm trying to do (I'll add pics when I get home): my kid dragged me to Woodward Tahoe where they have big skateboard ramps that end in foam pits. He insisted I use the 7D II because...
  7. L

A few pics from the 400mm DO II

These are pretty crappy but that is not because of the lens, it's me. These are after a pretty brutal 4-5 hour scramble through the ridges and canyons of the Santa Cruz mountains, we were chasing a mountain lion. I think the first pic is maybe the best of the lion but I'm not focussed on the...
  8. L

Just ordered the 400mm DO II

Amazon had one, does anyone have any explanation why they had one and B&H didn't?
  9. L

400mm DO II - sleazy sale by Amazon/Adorama

I googled 400mm DO II for sale and found one on Amazon's site. $6400, seemed about right, ordered it. After waiting a week it got here and I pulled it out and started testing it. Didn't like the results (as an aside I own the Mark I version of this lens and I liked the results less than my...
  10. L

fun video about shutters (7D mark I in this case)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjeCchGRQo I was sort of surprised about how much slop there was. Also watch until almost the end when he shows how vertical stuff gets tilted when you are moving.
  11. L

Why I love the 200mm f2.0 prime

So I'm not a pro, not by a long stretch. But some pros convinced me to get the 200mm f2.0 and they were right. http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/daryn/index.html I've seen much better pictures from that lens by people better than me, I'm just stoked that a non-pro like me could get those pics. It's...
  12. L

More 7DII focus problems

Disclaimer, I'm not a pro, once in a while I get some good pics but not like a lot of people here. Bokay? This was a challenging situation for the 7DII, I eventually moved up to ISO 12800. It was a party, dimly lit, all pics were with the Canon 35mm f2 IS. I started with spot focus...
  13. L

400mm DO II

So Bryan has reviewed a preproduction version and he claims that it will be better with a 2x TC than the original was without a converter. The charts back him up. That said, I'm a happy owner of the mark I version of this lens. I just got today the 7DII and was out playing and got this pic w/...
  14. L

Noise - maybe it's good?

OK so the title is BS but I'm sitting here watching Californcation on netflix and thinking this was all done with cameras with a lot of noise. And they use that noise. To good effect. Anyone else seen that and care to comment? I post this because there are endless threads here about all the...
  15. L

7D2 & 600mm f4 ii for BIF?

I know that some people had success with the original 7d & the 600mm f4. I was out playing in Elkhorn Slough a few months back with a 5DIII and the 600mm II and the 5D struggled to focus on birds in flight. I'm not a pro so maybe I'm doing it wrong but I'm wondering if the 7D2 is going to be...
  16. L

Darren Jew / whales / 1DX

I searched but didn't find this here. It's sort of an advert for Canon but I liked it, you might too: Canon Master:: Darren Jew on Vimeo
  17. L

rubber head for a tripod?

I've got rubber gizmo - about an inch wide cylinder with scooped in sides like a woman's tshirt, maybe 1.5 inches tall, female threaded on the bottom, male on the top. It's best used on a monopod where you have to lean to the side but you want the camera to be horizontal. I use mine when...
  18. L

7D vs 5DIII default sharpness

Anyone else have these bodies and noticed that the 7D is soft compared to the 5D when both are shooting jpg? Until I got the 5D I loved the 7D, got the 5D, hated the 7D, then I changed up the sharpness from 3 to 6 and started liking the 7D a bit again. But at the default 3 I hated it. Is that...
  19. L

technique advice for a 600mm II

Hi folks, newbie here with more money than brains (or technique). I recently was gifted with 600mm II and a 1.4x III (and a 2x III, almost forgot that one). I did "OK" on a moon pic: http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/moon.jpg but I'm having trouble learning how to use this beast on other stuff. I'm...