2. R

ICYMI: Here’s a patent for the upcoming Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L VR Lens

This is going to be big bucks. Probably 3k+
  3. R

A new EOS R system camera is coming in January [CR2]

I am going with ILC entry level RF mount with no EVF
  4. R

Canon aiming for a $799 full-frame camera? [CR2]

Knowing Canon this will be ridiculously crippled in some way, like being 10MP or the shutter button being the only physical button on the camera
  5. R

Industry News: Sony officially warns about CIS laser damage

Unless it's an illegal high powered laser you are not going to damage your eyesight from looking at a laser for a brief period of time. If it is too bright you will close your eye just like when you look at the sun, maybe see a floater for a couple of minutes and that will be the worst of it...
  6. R

Industry News: Sony officially warns about CIS laser damage

This is mainly a mirrorless camera problem because of the length of time the sensor remains exposed - which is basically all the time you have the EVF or Live View active. DSLR sensor obviously can be at risk as well in Live View, but far lower risk via OVF since sensor is only exposed for a...
  7. R

Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L IS Mentioned [CR1]

I actually just bought an EF 400mm f/5.6 . Still is a great lens for very low price. Already have 70-300 so just needed an optimized birding lens. With canons recent trends an RF 500mm f/5.6 would probably be $2500. For bird usage IS not all that useful anyway since I usually keep shutter at...
  8. R

Give LEXAR memory card another shot before warranty replacement or no?

Have a Lexar 1066x. This AM it started acting weird. Was losing photos, Windows detected errors on it, but was able to recover them. Put it back in camera, lost some more photos. I reformatted inside camera and it seems okay now. But , not the most confidence-inspiring. I guess it could...
  9. R

Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

Just as long term update, the lens continues to perform well other than *really* thick purple fringing wide open in specific high contrast scenarios (like wine glass picture halfway down this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2718977 ), but this seems normal from all accounts. AF is...
  10. R

He ain’t lying – THE BEST PRIME LENS. Period. by Peter McKinnon

Also while it's smaller in the bag, a lot of (most?) people considered the precision of non-telescoping zoom a feature of the EF version that made them prefer that over similar lenses Yeh but I don't use the 50mm if I want razor sharpness. I'd just use the 24-70 f/2.8 II if I want that, and...
  11. R

50mm is my favorite focal length. Nearly all of my shots with the 50L I take @ 1.2, because otherwise why bother using such a fast lens? I don't understand the hype, and from everything I have seen the EF 50mm f/1.2L is overall a better lens with all things considered than the RF 50mm f/1.2L -...
  12. R

Yay another "omg sharpness" video *puke*
  13. R

Why did Canon even bother with the RF mount?

Is 24-70 f/2.8 IS truly impossible on EF mount? If R series came out with EF mount,.EF mount would have been the native mount on R
  14. R

Why did Canon even bother with the RF mount?

Seems a weird choice . * Folks report EF glass works spectacular with the RF > EF adapter on R5/R6. Therefore there is no doubt they could have created an EF mount R series. * No one is buying the R5/R6/R3 if they want the slimmest camera. In fact, they had to beef up these cameras to closer...
  15. R

Preorder: Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM at Adorama

Have we stumbled upon the secret pricing formula? :D
  16. R

Preorder: Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM at Adorama

So basically an extra $300 per mm vs the 16-35 f/4 IS ;)
  17. R

Place your bets! What do you think the R3 will cost?

That's only if you have control over the subjects you are photographing. Higher MP bodies allow me to crop far away elements and still get a usable photo, or sometimes you can make multiple photos from the same base photo. Like, I have a photo where I took a 35mm street photography...
  18. R

R6 Update

1/8000 extremely useful for ultra wide apertures in moderate outdoor light without needing to add ND filters, which is what always annoyed me with the 6d as I could have avoided needing swapping filters in many cases if 1/8000 were avail. It's also useful for some birds and insects. Not having...
  19. R

R6 Update

Don't need to shoot with something to see it has no AF points where i would like them to be, and after living with the 6D's 1/4000 shutter limitation for years , lack of 1/8000 shutter on its own would be an automatic deal breaker
  20. R

After the EOS R3, Canon will introduce new “affordable” RF mount cameras [CR1]

Well, we never saw a 7D3 in the timeframe we'd normally see a refresh for any other line. Now that Canon still has two mirrorless FF sports-related bodies on the map that haven't even come out yet (R3, R1) and just recently launched the R5 which is usable for sports, I think for the way they...