Search results

1. R

Give LEXAR memory card another shot before warranty replacement or no?

Have a Lexar 1066x. This AM it started acting weird. Was losing photos, Windows detected errors on it, but was able to recover them. Put it back in camera, lost some more photos. I reformatted inside camera and it seems okay now. But , not the most confidence-inspiring. I guess it could...
  2. R

Why did Canon even bother with the RF mount?

Seems a weird choice . * Folks report EF glass works spectacular with the RF > EF adapter on R5/R6. Therefore there is no doubt they could have created an EF mount R series. * No one is buying the R5/R6/R3 if they want the slimmest camera. In fact, they had to beef up these cameras to closer...
  3. R

Birding on high MP - ISO vs focal length

Just curious for those using either the RF 100-500 or EF 100-400 with 1.4 TC on a 45+ MP body For very high shutter speed (ie fast moving birds) that will drive ISOs higher up, are the longer lenses with narrower aperture really any better than the 100-400 II @400mm 5.6 on a 45+ MP body? I...
  4. R

I don't like the new lens designs

Is it just me, or is what is going on with lenses these days a bit strange? It seems to me we have lens manufacturers in a sharpness arms race (probably driven by Sony), where we are getting large, heavy, overcorrected and clinical lenses with zero flaws or softness. To the extent, where Canon...
  5. R

2nd body, conflicted 5DS vs 5D4

Recently I got the 5DsR for $1499 deal from B&H. I got it because I wanted an upgrade for my 6D. I thought the 6D's 20MP count was more than enough, but wow the amount of detail in the 5DsR is just insane! Even with my less sharp lenses, the pixel structure is so much finer and more natural...
  6. R

Your top 10 ranked overall favorite EF lenses now that the final roster is available?

So EF lens releases have dramatically slowed if not stopped. It appears we have may seen the final roster of EF lenses. Assuming that is the case, what are your personal top 10 (or top 3, top 5, etc) EF lenses you've had experience with? Here are mine for full frame, ranked in order with a...
  7. R

Over-lubed zoom ring?

Just got a new 16-35 f/4L (which I owned a few years back) from Amazon and the zoom ring is making an odd sound like they slopped on too much grease in the factory. Like its working out air bubbles or something whenever its turned to zoom. I've used it a little bit and sound still there...
  8. R

I'm a bit out of the loop on EF lens prices & rebates with COVID, need help

Hey getting back into photography after a long pause need to build up my gear kit to replace some of the lenses that were less critical but that I liked that I had to sell off I know a lot of EF now are discontinued or in short supply, but I am wondering can anyone help with what are good...
  9. R

7D2 - adjustment of shutter speed algorithm in Av mode?

Hi, Sometimes I like to put the camera on easy mode (Aperture Priority+auto shutter+auto ISO). The 7D2's firmware appears to default to 1/focal length for shutter speed when metering if auto ISO is on. Is there any way to dynamically have it calculate shutter speed to 1/(focal length*2)...
  10. R

7D2 - loose screw or something else?

Just received a new 7D2 body from amazon. When moving it (haven't even attached a lens or put in the battery), it sounds like a screw is loose near the hot shoe area. Is this a noise from an accelerometer (or similar sensor) or is it likely I received a defective camera?
  11. R

Safe to buy a 7D2?

I've noticed a lot of complaints of AI Servo AF issues on this camera since launch, and those that sent to Canon needed to often have their shutter and mirror box replaced in numerous cases. It seems to be a common repair thread. Anyone think there was a hardware design defect with the...
  12. R

70D + 16-35 f/4L IS USM - DPAF noise/smoothness?

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone here has compared the 16-35 f/4L IS to the kit 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM. The latter is fantastic for video with smooth precise and quiet focusing, but the former has better optics even on crop. Has anyone tried the 16-35 f/4L IS to see how it stacks up for video...
  13. R

5D3 AF illumination point issue ever fixed?

Hi all, With price of 5D3 dropping, might consider getting one if it goes really cheap when the 5D4 is announced. Quick question though, I know there was a lot of disappointment when the 5D3 was released that the focus points were hard to see in dim light as they did not individually light in...
  14. R

16-35mm f/4L IS "sticky noise" zoom ring noise?

HI all. Long story short, 2 copies of 16-35 f/4l IS, both of them seem to make a crackling sound like there is too much lubricant or something sticking when zooming, especially at the wide end. It makes an audible noise when zooming. Does not appear to affect zoom performance much. Anyone...
  15. R

POLL: Which of these UWA options would you buy?

Just for fun, ASSUMING the rumored 11-24mm f/4L arrives, performs well, has a bulbous element, and costs around $2499-$2999: which would option would you pick below if you could only have one since they would cost around the same? OPTION 1: 16-35mm f/4L IS + 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye PROs: Offers...
  16. R

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye - Durability?

I really like some of the creative opportunities this lens offers if used wisely. But, I am concerned with the durability and scratch-resistance of the front element when the hood is not attached. Has anyone used this for an extended period of time? How does the front element look over time...
  17. R

Would you buy a hypothetical 85mm f/1.4L portrait lens if...

The 85mm f/1.2L II, while one of the most stunning portrait lenses ever made, does have some significant disadvantages expressed by users that can pop up even in portrait scenarios (especially portraits during events or outdoors): 85mm f/1.2L II disadvantages: * Durability - exposed rear element...
  18. R

85mm f1/2L II and event photography?

I have always been fond of the output of the 85L II. But, I have never tried full time deployment for event photography. Has anyone used it for this purpose? My concerns: 1) Slow autofocus might result in missed shots, such as wedding reception entrances (where people often run or do...
  19. R

Think Tank Urban Disguise 70 v2.0

Has anyone used one of these regularly? I am thinking of getting one for two gripped 6D camera bodies, but I have heard the opening at the top is very narrow when two cameras are side by side; while I do not need to be able to rapidly access the bodies, I do not want to have to put the bag...
  20. R

6D+70-300 DO *vs* 70D+55-250 STM

So, if you had to pick *only* between these two, strictly in terms of all aspects of image quality which do you believe would yield better results at 200mm equivalent FOV? Canon 6D + EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM -or- Canon 70D + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Online tests seem to favor the...