Search results

1. jepabst

Wedding Photographers; when do you get your most inquiries.

I was thinking about throwing some additional advertising dollars at Google and then I wondered if there would be a certain time of year that would be better than others to do so. So I started going through my inbox from last year to see if there was a pattern of when there was an uptick in...
  2. jepabst

Educational Videos for Interviewing

This past weekend I create 8 super short video tips for interviewing/videography. Educational Videos for Interviewing The videos are aimed at those doing doc/interviews with no budget - so no professional audio gear and a lackluster video cam as well. It's really just fundamentals.
  3. jepabst

Interviewing 101 | Low Budget Tips and Techniques

So, I am teaching a class at IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology) about videography (centered around interviewing and creating content by talkign to others). One of my lessons will be about interviewing techniques - and these students will not have access to professional equipment; just...
  4. jepabst

Bride and Groom, silhouette, Chicago, Dress Flowing

This was one of those captures that, as a photographer, you can't take a lot of credit for. You just kind of step into something nice. I was shooting way underexposed to get some silhouette shots, and the wind picked up her dress and blew her hair. We were shooting in Chicago on the EL-train...
  5. jepabst

Bride: Extreme Closeup

This bride had stunning eyes. I had tried to get shots of them all morning but hadn't gotten anything I was super excited about. Then, after the ceremony, while everyone was decompressing I was looking for great light. I often just walk around looking at light/shadow. I noticed a person come out...
  6. jepabst

Bride, Overcast, Cold, Natural Light

Another bride to share from 2014 - it was about 35 degrees, we were all freezing in Indianapolis. The bride liked these bronze doors, we jumped out of the trolley and snapped some shots. It was completely overcast with no visible directional light. Normally I would add light in a situation like...
  7. jepabst

Bride + Softbox + OCC + Hotel Lobby

Grabbed this shot while we were waiting for the 'trolley-bus'. In the hotel lobby - I used 26" Octabox (Westcott) - and my Godox Flash. more wedding photography Just one light; background metered -2 stops Shot on Canon EOS 6D F/2.2 ISO-400 1/160 sec using 50mm f/1.4
  8. jepabst

nod to 'American Gothic'

Canon 5D Mark II f/6.3 ISO-500 1/80sec 40mm Taken at wedding just prior to ceremony - in Yorkville, IL at FOBs farmhouse. This was a DIY Farm Wedding -chicago wedding photographer-
  9. jepabst

Natural Light: Corporate Headshots

I was asked to do a couple corporate headshots in Chicago at the office - and they wanted them done cheap, so I didn't want to bring my flashes, umbrellas, gear ect.. So to keep it cheap, I brought only my Canon 6D, and the 85mm f/1.8. Tha'ts it - I did use a piece of white foam board for some...
  10. jepabst

simple before and after architecture photo

I do a lot of real estate photography and the clients often need the photos immediately. As such I often am forced to shoot in less than ideal situations. So, with this image it was overcast, so the sky was completely white. I had to replace the sky and increase the detail and contrast in the...
  11. jepabst

A shot my wife grabbed while I was shooting the bride and groom

Wanted to share one of my favorite shots from 2014 - that my wife took - while I was shooting a wedding on Michigan ave in Chicago, IL. She said she was trying to get some blur action behind us, then saw this crazy vehicle coming and was frantically adjusting her camera to try to capture the...
  12. jepabst

Tough LARGE group photo

One of the hardest shots I've been asked to take to date: I had a bride this summer request to do a photo of ALL THE GUESTS during cocktail hour. I told her we'd try. I didn't make any promises. The wedding was at the Art Institute of Chicago and there is a huge atrium where cocktail hour is...
  13. jepabst

Engagement Session from Saturday 11/8/14

We had an e-session with a 2015 wedding client this past Saturday morning here in Chicago. It was fairly cold; not much can be done about that. They insisted because they wanted to use some pictures for their save-the-date. So, we obliged. When I was post processing, I left the images a bit...
  14. jepabst

Shooting Full Body White Backgrounds

So here's the rub; I'm shooting some 'on site' full body, full white-out backgrounds. I'm researching and testing some lighting setups; and wanted to know if anyone had any tips or tricks for this sort of thing. I have done plenty of corporate headshots before, but not full body white-bg. At...
  15. jepabst

Do You Ask for Reviews?

My wife and I have been shooting weddings for a while, but had not been collecting reviews. We never asked for them, and we rarely received them. But with the internet being such a powerful tool, now I'm wishing I had been collecting reviews all along. A couple days ago I wrote my thoughts about...
  16. jepabst

Another Photography Resource for beginners; Pabst Photo

I have a new project I'd like to share. Sure, it's a little bit of self promotion, but not the kind that matters. I'm not trying to drum up business, I'm just trying to share some of the things I've learned, because I love this industry and want to see it get better...