Search results

1. Joe M

Determining color temp when using custom white balance

I don't know if this is an answer that will specifically help you as it's more of adjusting what you want to see as seeing what the camera choose. What I learned long ago, was how to roughly set white balance for a shot. Using live view, you can see "live" the various changes that you make to...
  2. Joe M

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II Confirmed

I was thinking the same thing. I don't see how the optics can be improved but I guess anything is possible. Maybe even the IS can be improved. But that slipping autofocus is the one thing that needs to be addressed if nothing else.
  3. Joe M

DxOMARK Shows The Progress Smartphone Cameras Have Made in the Last 5 Years

And then it's planted on a sensor that is 29 times or more larger (FF). Cameras on phones have come a long way indeed but you just can't cheat physics. The software has done a commendable job of trying and it will likely keep improving but unless they can make the entire screen a lens, it will...
  4. Joe M

How young is everyone?

Well the 60's/70's is taking the lead. Not a very scientific poll (only shows the age of those who answer not the age of those on the site so it can be very misleading) but it's interesting nonetheless.
  5. Joe M

Anyone get hit by WannaCry?

Not caught out as all computers are patched as they ought to be. That doesn't mean of course that I don't have everything of value backed up (four (yes I'm extreme because I've had many drives die in the past) separate rotating backups) and don't take precautions. So far so good, knock on...
  6. Joe M

The 30 Year Evolution of Canon EOS Cameras Visualised

Elan 7n 20D 40D 7D (x2) 5D 5DIII(x2) Current is only the 5DIIIs. Of the past cameras I had, I miss the 40D the most.
  7. Joe M

Your own definition of fast prime

A fast prime is anything under f2.8. And off topic, speaking of fast, in my books at least, the absolute coolest jet ever. I never get bored of pouring over stats and pics of that bird. I can't imagine looking down from 26km at over 3,500km/h.
  8. Joe M

Infographic: Camera Industry Sales Facts for 2016

THE SHIP IS NOT SINKING! Look to all those who keep going on and on about the 'declining' market for cameras i call bull----. Why? Camera sales are coming down from historic and unsustainable highs. What we are doing is returning to more stable and realistic sales numbers. I would agree...
  9. Joe M

Spectacular Canon Cinema EOS C700 Production for SWISS Int. Airlines

Oh you just have to love the shot of that jet in the helmet of the fighter pilot. There must have been some great sound bouncing off those alps!
  10. Joe M

10 great things about the upcoming 5D Mark V

Built-in RF transmitter is something the mark4 should have had but if it did, no one would want to buy the mark5. You did forget though, to mention the new improved (in the slightest bit hardly measurable) 24-105 mk3 kit lens.
  11. Joe M

AFMA Reikan FoCal vs Lens Align vs anything else

Grass is one of my favourites for a quick check as well. A single tree in my big backyard never fails to give me a good idea if a lens if close or way out of whack. Unless of course the lawn is covered in snow. Then I fall back on the privacy fence. It's sort of like a giant lensalign.
  12. Joe M

Dear Canon, please quit toying with me!

+1 It's been a great web experience for many years thanks to this. I also don't see tv ads of the little tv that I do watch as I record it all and use the ff button. When I want something, I go looking for it. Or it can be sent to my inbox.
  13. Joe M

How many batteries

My last set of cameras for shooting weddings was a pair of 5D3s and Canon batteries. I shot for the entire day, raw+tiny jpeg with some chimping when changing conditions, but never with live-view, on a single battery and never did it get below a quarter charge, usually between a quarter and...
  14. Joe M

Notice: Caution Regarding Counterfeit Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Lenses

Indeed. It will of course depend upon how many they can make as to how worthwhile their efforts are. Obviously to someone it was worth it, and these lenses would stay under the radar, at least until now. I'm just of the mentality that if you're going to do something, go big. I mean, would...
  15. Joe M

Sigh, yes I know. Was just saying that I'll never understand the amount of effort someone will go through to make a few bucks, as easy as it may be.
  16. Joe M

That's what I was thinking. What is the profit margin on counterfeiting this already low-priced lens? I guess it never occurred to whomever that they might want to make some 24-70 2.8s or 70-200 2.8s and so on instead. Lucky for us they don't (I hope) but in the end, I guess it's a lesson to...
  17. Joe M

Review: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II by TDP

Strictly looking at the sharpness weakness of version 1, the range of 70-105 could be better. The new version is better there, most notably around 70mm. Getting this in a kit as opposed to the original is better. However, chucking the original and buying this lens is just as Bryan says, maybe...
  18. Joe M

Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM on the Way [CR3]

@5', approx. .85" vs. 1".....@10', approx. 3.5" vs. 5",..... @20', approx. 14" vs. 17" All in all, pretty darn small differences depending of course upon your needs. The current lens is amazing in terms of course it's ability to use f1.2 but probably more for it's silky bokeh, as shown in...
  19. Joe M

Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM on the Way [CR3]

Well, it's about time. I think I could live with f1.4. I sure would love a little more sharpness and faster focus though. I don't expect a cheaper lens though because once you stuff image stabilization into it along with maybe some BR glass, that ought to be worth something, literally. I...
  20. Joe M

EOS 5D Mark IV - the crippled generalist

I don't know but it seems a little harsh to use "whiner, childish" and so on. I know, I get. Some people really do post with nothing but "what isn't there" simply to whip up the masses. Personally, I was simply making an observation that over many years and many forums, I've seen most bodies...